Professor Stephen B M Beck
BSc, PhD, CEng, FIMechE
Head of Multidisciplinary Engineering Education
The University of Sheffield
Multidisciplinary Engineering Education
Floor 1, Room C.10c
32 Leavygreave Road
Sheffield S3 7RD
Telephone: +44(0)114 2227730
Fax: +44(0)114 2227890
email : email@example.com
Professor Stephen Beck is a graduate of Bath University where he studied Mechanical Engineering. After graduation he was offered a post at Fermilab in Chicago where he developed software to control anti-protons.
He was awarded his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sheffield. The topic was the stability of ventilation systems in nuclear power stations which involved fluid mechanics, waves in pipes and power fluidics.
After several postdoctoral jobs he was offered a lectureship in thermodynamics at the department. He became a senior lecturer in 2002. In 2012 he was promoted to a personal chair.
Professor Beck has been working on flow measurement, leak detection, leaks from pipes, leaky gaskets (spot the theme), heat transfer from radiators and building performance. His interest in energy and teaching combined to make him one of the main investigators on the Doctoral Training Centre on energy and the environment.
He is interested in quality enhancement of teaching and has served as Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Director of Learning and Teaching Development for the Faculty of Engineering. He was Faculty Director of Learning and Teaching, coordinating learning throughout the Engineering Faculty from 2008-2014, during which time he oversaw the implementation of a number of major changes to the teaching such as reducing Winter exams, the introduction of activity weeks, and a CPD scheme for teachers and lecturers.
In May 2014, he was appointed to the Headship od Multidisciplinary Engineering Education. This involves ensuring that the practical engineering teaching in The Diamond supports the aspirations of the faculty to provide a great practical experience for students. This £86M building is opened in September 2015 and his 43 staff are changing the way that laboratory education is delivered.
He is also working on curriculum design and providing academic support for the AMRC Degree Level Apprentices.
For reasons unknown to even himself, he is also interested in various forms of committee work both within the University and for the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, where he is Vice President and Chair of the Qualifications and Membership Committee.
Other professional achievements:
- Vice President IMechE
- Chair of the IMechE Qualifications and Membership Committee.
- Member of editorial board of Flow Measurement and Instrumentation
Areas of Research
Professor Beck's main research interests are in fluid mechanics, notably flow measurement, pipe networks, and leaks in pipes, and his work uses fluidic devices and numerous flow measurement techniques. Professor Beck also has interests in renewable energy, energy use, power production, refrigeration and heat exchange processes. His work is predominantly experimental, but uses CFD and analytical techniques.
He is also researching into waves in fluid pipeline systems. The original work which Professor Beck undertook as part of his PhD and post-doctoral work on the modelling of pressure waves in pipes is being expanded to cover the control and real time analysis of fluid pipeline networks. The signal analysis has led to a novel method of leak detection that works even in branched pipeline systems. Part of Professor Beck's main research interests is that of fluid flow measurement. He has worked on various fluidic flow devices and is now engaged in projects to improve the accuracy and robustness of orifice plate flowmeters and to examine flow through and after fractal devices.
Professor Beck's teaching of thermodynamics and renewable energy has led to variety of energy based projects and publications on heat transfer, notably from radiators, and energy use in industry.
Prof Beck is currently lead supervisor for three postgraduate students:
- AlHarbi, H, Leak detection in oil pipelines, 2013-, Kuwait oil company
- Butterfield, J, Enhanced Acoustic Leak detection techniques , 2013-, STREAM DTC student
- Williams, J., Holistic study of solar panels, 2010-, e-futures DTC student
Twenty five of his students have submitted or completed their PhDs. Recent graduates are:
- Braun, MR, Effect of Climate change on supermarkets, 2012-, e-futures DTC student
- Buckman, AH, Smart buildings for energy savings, 2012-, e-futures DTC student
- Tiyafi, P, Leakage in Plastic Pipes, 2015-, STREAM DTC student
- Castleton, HF, Energy use in buildings, 2014, e-futures DTC student
Professor Beck believes that lectures should be to entertain, signpost and inform in that order. As well as giving enthusiastic lectures, he is interested in novel ways of teaching, assessment and providing feedback. He has published papers on his use of podcasts to aid student induction, and (among other things) how he got students to write Haiku summaries of technical papers. He particularly enjoys teaching thermodynamics to first year students because he feels that the first and second laws hold the key to understanding the world and he wants every else to feel the same way.
Between 2008 and 2014 he was Faculty Director of Learning and Teaching for Engineering, and was thus in charge of Learning, Teaching, Assessment and Quality assurance and Enhancement for the Faculty. Arising from this was the idea for The Diamond. He realised that there was a large amount of commonality in the laboratories (and indeed in other teaching), and by sharing space and equipment across departments, a far better student experience could be obtained. After a few pilot projects, the basic philosophy for The Diamond arose, and the Faculty now has one large, laboratory filled with multiples of equipment for each topic, and students from the entire faculty come to use them.
In 2008 he was awarded the title of Senate Award Fellow for Sustained Excellence in Learning and Teaching.
Professor Beck also teaches on the following courses:
- AER192: Aerospace Matter Flow and Energy
- MEC333: Integrated Design Skills
- Beck SBM (2006) The little book of thermofluids. Stephen Beck. View this article in WRRO
- Butterfield JD, Collins RP & Beck SBM (2018) Influence of Pipe Material on the Transmission of Vibroacoustic Leak Signals in Real Complex Water Distribution Systems: Case Study. Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, 9(3), 05018003-05018003.
- Johnson RC, Mayfield M & Beck SBM (2018) Optimal placement, sizing, and dispatch of multiple BES systems on UK low voltage residential networks. Journal of Energy Storage, 17, 272-286. View this article in WRRO
- Motazedi N & Beck S (2017) Leak detection using cepstrum of cross-correlation of transient pressure wave signals. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. View this article in WRRO
- Butterfield JD, Meruane V, Collins RP, Meyers G & Beck SBM (2017) Prediction of leak flow rate in plastic water distribution pipes using vibro-acoustic measurements. Structural Health Monitoring. View this article in WRRO
- Butterfield JD, Krynkin A, Collins RP & Beck S (2017) Experimental investigation into vibro-acoustic emission signal processing techniques to quantify leak flow rate in plastic water distribution pipes. Applied Acoustics, 119, 146-155. View this article in WRRO
- Braun MR, Beck SBM, Walton P & Mayfield M (2016) Estimating the impact of climate change and local operational procedures on the energy use in several supermarkets throughout Great Britain. Energy and Buildings, 111, 109-119. View this article in WRRO
- Braun MR, Walton P & Beck SBM (2015) Illustrating the relationship between the coefficient of performance and the coefficient of system performance by means of an R404 supermarket refrigeration system. International Journal of Refrigeration, 70, 225-234. View this article in WRRO
- Braun MR, Altan H & Beck SBM (2014) Using regression analysis to predict the future energy consumption of a supermarket in the UK. Applied Energy, 130, 305-313. View this article in WRRO
- Buckman AH, Mayfield M & Beck SB (2014) What is a Smart Building?. Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, 3(2), 92-109. View this article in WRRO
- Castleton HF, Hathway EA, Murphy E & Beck SBM (2014) Monitoring Performance of a combined water recycling system. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 167(3), 108-117. View this article in WRRO
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2013) An empirical solution to turbulent natural convection and radiation heat transfer in square and rectangular enclosures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 51(1-2), 364-370.
- Shucksmith JD, Boxall JB, Staszewski WJ, Seth A & Beck SBM (2012) Onsite leak location in a pipe network by cepstrum analysis of pressure transients. JOURNAL AMERICAN WATER WORKS ASSOCIATION, 104(8), 35-36.
- Beck SB, Urbanek J, Barszcz T, Uhl T & Staszewski WJ (2012) Leak detection in gas pipelines using wavelet-based filtering. Structural Health Monitoring: an international journal, 11(4), 405-412.
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SB (2012) A Dimensionless Solution to Radiation and Turbulent Natural Convection in Square and Rectangular Enclosures. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 7(2), 257-279. View this article in WRRO
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2012) A dimensionless solution to radiation and turbulent natural convection in square and rectangular enclosures. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 7(2), 257-279.
- Ghazali MF, Beck SBM, Shucksmith JD, Boxall JB & Staszewski WJ (2012) Comparative study of instantaneous frequency based methods for leak detection in pipeline networks. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 29, 187-200. View this article in WRRO
- Lovelace R, Beck SBM, Watson M & Wild A (2011) Assessing the energy implications of replacing car trips with bicycle trips in Sheffield, UK. Energy Policy. View this article in WRRO
- Manshoor B, Nicolleau FCGA & Beck SBM (2011) The fractal flow conditioner for orifice plate flow meters. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation.
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2011) The effect of surface roughness and emissivity on radiator output. Energy and Buildings, 43(2-3), 400-406. View this article in WRRO
- Ghazali MF, Staszewski WJ, Shucksmith JD, Boxall JB & Beck SBM (2010) Instantaneous Phase and Frequency for the Detection of Leaks and Features in a Pipeline System. Structural Health Monitoring, 10(4), 351-360.
- Castleton HF, Stovin VR, Beck SBM & Davison JB (2010) Green roofs; building energy savings and the potential for retrofit. Energy and Buildings, 42(10), 1582-1591.
- Aly AAEA, Chong A, Nicolleau F & Beck S (2010) Experimental study of the pressure drop after fractal-shaped orifices in turbulent pipe flows. EXP THERM FLUID SCI, 34(1), 104-111.
- Taghvaei M, Beck SBM & Boxall JB (2010) Leak detection in pipes using induced water hammer pulses and cepstrum analysis. International Journal of COMADEM, 13(1), 19-25.
- Chin SB, Al-Atabi M, Luo XY & Beck SBM (2008) Investigation of the Flow in a Compliant Idealised Human Cystic Duct. Journal of Biomechanical Science and Engineering, 3(3), 411-417.
- Taghvaei M, Beck SBM & Staszewski WJ (2007) Leak detection in pipeline networks using low-profile piezoceramic transducers. STRUCT CONTROL HLTH, 14(8), 1063-1082. View this article in WRRO
- Al-Atabi M, Chin SB, Beck S & Luo XY (2007) IN-VITRO INVESTIGATION OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE VALVES OF HEISTER(3D3 Biorheology & Microcirculation II). Proceedings of the ... Asian Pacific Conference on Biomechanics : emerging science and technology in biomechanics, 2007(3).
- Al-Atabi M, Chin SB, Beck SBM & Boucher RF (2007) From cystic duct to static mixer: A serendipitous journey via flow visualization. J VISUAL-JAPAN, 10(2), 141-144. View this article in WRRO
- Taghvaei M, Beck SBM, Staszewski WJ & Boxall JB (2007) Leak location in a T-shaped pipe with CFD modelling. Damage Assessment of Structures VII, 347, 607-612.
- Tomlinson RA, Pugh D & Beck SBM (2006) Experiment and modelling of birefringent flows using commercial CFD code. INT J HEAT FLUID FL, 27(6), 1054-1060. View this article in WRRO
- Taghvaei M, Beck SBM & Staszewski WJ (2006) Leak detection in pipelines using cepstrum analysis. MEAS SCI TECHNOL, 17(2), 367-372.
- Beck SBM, Curren MD, Sims ND & Stanway R (2005) Pipeline network features and leak detection by cross-correlation analysis of reflected waves. J HYDRAUL ENG-ASCE, 131(8), 715-723.
- Ahmadi A, Beck SBM & Stanway R (2005) The swirling orifice plate: A flowmeter for all reasons. Proceedings of 2005 ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, FEDSM2005, 2005, 2081-2086.
- Ahmadi A & Beck SBM (2005) Development of the orifice plate with a cone swirler flow conditioner. Sensor Review, 25(1), 63-68. View this article in WRRO
- Beck SBM, Bagshaw NM & Yates JR (2005) Explicit equations for leak rates through narrow cracks. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 82(7), 565-570. View this article in WRRO
- Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2004) Energy consumption and capacity utilization of galvanizing furnaces. P I MECH ENG E-J PRO, 218(E4), 251-259. View this article in WRRO
- Scroggs RA, Beck SBM & Patterson EA (2004) An integrated approach to modelling the fluid-structure interaction of a collapsible tube. JSME INT J B-FLUID T, 47(1), 20-28. View this article in WRRO
- Beck SBM, Williamson NJ, Sims ND & Stanway R (2002) Pipeline system identification through cross-correlation analysis. P I MECH ENG E-J PRO, 216(E3), 133-142.
- Beck SBM & Mazille J (2002) A study of a pressure differential flow meter that is insensitive to inlet conditions. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 12(5-6), 379-384.
- Beck SBM, Blakey SG & Chung MC (2001) The effect of wall emissivity on radiator heat output. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 22(3), 185-194. View this article in WRRO
- Woolhouse RJ, Tippetts JR & Beck SBM (2001) A comparison of the experimental and computational modelling of the fluidic turn-up vortex amplifier at full and zero swirl conditions. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 215(8), 893-904.
- Wang H, Priestman GH, Beck SBM & Boucher RF (2000) Measurement and simulation of pressure wave attenuation in upward air-water bubbly flow. INT J HEAT FLUID FL, 21(1), 104-111.
- Wang H, Priestman GH, Beck SBM & Boucher RF (2000) Pressure wave attenuation in an air pipe flow. P I MECH ENG C-J MEC, 214(4), 619-632.
- Bagshaw NM, Beck SBM & Yates JR (2000) Identification of fluid flow regimes in narrow cracks. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 214(8), 1099-1106.
- Cuthbert MR & Beck SBM (1999) A non-dimensional method to increase the accuracy of turbine flowmeters. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical, 213(2), 121-126.
- Wang H, Priestman GH, Beck SBM & Boucher RF (1998) A remote measuring flow meter for petroleum and other industrial applications. MEAS SCI TECHNOL, 9(5), 779-789.
- Wang H, Beck SBM, Priestman GH & Boucher RF (1997) Fluidic pressure pulse transmitting flowmeter. CHEM ENG RES DES, 75(A4), 381-391.
- Sims ND, Stanway R & Beck SBM (1997) Proportional feedback control of an electro-rheological vibration damper. J INTEL MAT SYST STR, 8(5), 426-433.
- Clarke LV, Bainbridge H, Beck SBM & Yates JR (1997) Measurement of fluid flow rates through cracks. INT J PRES VES PIP, 71(1), 71-75.
- Beck SBM & Boucher RF (1997) Steady state analysis of fluid circuits containing three port devices. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 75(1), 73-80.
- Beck SBM, Längsten PR, Ewan BCR, Messer PE, Smyth R, Swithenbank J & Taylor D (1997) Development of a high-temperature ceramic to metal seal. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 211(2), 109-114.
- Wang H, Priestman GH, Beck SBM & Boucher RF (1996) Development of fluidic flowmeters for monitoring crude oil production. FLOW MEAS INSTRUM, 7(2), 91-98.
- Moir SA, Jones H & Beck SBM (1996) Gas velocities from free fall gas atomiser. Powder Metallurgy, 39(4), 271-274.
- Boucher RF, Beck SBM & Wang H (1996) A fluidic flowmetering device for remote measurement. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 210(2), 93-100.
- Beck SM, Haider H & Boucher RF (1995) Transmission line modelling of simulated drill strings undergoing water-hammer. P I MECH ENG C-J MEC, 209(6), 419-427.
- Beck SBM & Boucher RF (1991) Stability of vortex amplifier circuits with twin control pipes.
- Boucher RF & Beck SBM (1988) Steady state analysis of fluid networks containing vortex amplifiers.((ed.), Bedford, U.K., H.S. Stephens & Assocs., 1988, Paper SII:1, p.489-492. (ISBN 0-9510271-3-1)).
Conference proceedings papers
- Butterfield J, Meruane V, Collins R, Meyers G & Beck S (2017) CCWi2017: F150 'APPLICATION OF LEAST SQUARES SUPPORT VECTOR MACHINES AND ACOUSTIC MEASUREMENTS FOR LEAK FLOW RATE PREDICTION'. CCWI 2017 – Computing and Control for the Water Industry
- Butterfield JD, Collins RP, Krynkin A & Beck SBM (2016) Experimental Investigation into the Influence of Backfill Types on the Vibro-acoustic Characteristics of Leaks in MDPE Pipe. Procedia Engineering, Vol. 186 (pp 311-318), 24 July 2016 - 28 July 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Motazedi N & Beck SBM (2016) The use of the cross-correlation of two signals as a transient leak detection method. BHR Group - 12th International Conference on Pressure Surges (pp 581-594)
- Butterfield JD, Collins RP & Beck SBM (2015) Feature extraction of leaks signals in plastic water distribution pipes using the wavelet transform. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Proceedings (IMECE), Vol. 13-2015
- Butterfield JD, Beck SBM, Collins RP & Creusere CD (2015) IMPROVING LEAK LOCATION ACCURACY BY OPTIMISING THE TIME DELAY MEASUREMENT OF ACOUSTIC EMISSION FROM LEAKS IN MOPE PIPE. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 22ND INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON SOUND AND VIBRATION
- Tayefi P, Beck SBM & Tomlinson RA (2015) Fatigue Failure of Polyethylene Electrofusion Joints Subject to Contamination. Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, Vol. 66(VOLUME 5) (pp 197-202) View this article in WRRO
- Liu Y, Beck S, Nicolleau F & Majewski CE (2013) Controlled multi-scale turbulence through the use of Laser Sintered Sierpinski Pyramids. 24th International SFF Symposium - An Additive Manufacturing Conference, SFF 2013 (pp 869-878)
- Hampson W, Collins RP, Beck SMB & Boxall JB (2013) Transient source localisation methodology and laboratory validation. 12th International Conference on Computing and Control for the Water Industry, Perugia, Italy. Perugia, Italy
- Braun M, Altan H & Beck S (2013) Using IBM SPSS statistics to identify predictors of electricity consumption in a UK supermarket. WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, Vol. 176 (pp 119-131)
- Nicolleau FCGA, Beck SBM & Nowakowski AF (2012) Fractal orifices for flowmetering. ASME 2012 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, ESDA 2012, Vol. 2 (pp 21-27)
- Collins R, Boxall J, Besner MC, Beck S & Karney B (2012) Intrusion modelling and the effect of ground water conditions. Water Distribution Systems Analysis 2010 - Proceedings of the 12th International Conference, WDSA 2010 (pp 585-594)
- Hampson W, Boxall JB & Beck SBM (2011) GIS thematic mapping to identify persistent failures in water distribution networks. 11th Computing and Control in the Water Industry 2011. Exeter
- Collins S, Beck SBM & Boxall JB (2011) Intrusion into water distribution systems through leaks and orifices: Initial experimental results. 11th Computing and Control in the Water Industry 2011. Exeter
- Ghazali M, Beck SBM, Staszewski WJ, Shucksmith JD & Boxall JB (2010) Leakage Detection in Pipelines Using Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition. 5th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring. Sorrento
- Rossiter D, Beck S, Delbauve M, Hogg M & Priestman G (2010) Improving engagement and learning experience for students using lab-in-a-box concept. Engineering Education 2010: Inspiring the Next Generation of Engineers, EE 2010
- Salim SMM, Nicolleau FCGA, Beck SBM & Nowakowski AF (2010) EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF TURBULENCE ACROSS THE FRACTAL ORIFICE PLATE. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME 10TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE ON ENGINEERING SYSTEMS DESIGN AND ANALYSIS, 2010, VOL 3 (pp 353-360)
- Abou El-Azm Aly A, Chong A, Nicolleau F & Beck S (2009) Experimental study of the pressure drop after fractal-shaped orifices in a Turbulent flow pipe. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 40 (pp 194-197)
- Spalton T, Tomlinson RA, Garrard AE & Beck SBM (2008) Streaming Birefringence - A Step Forward. ADVANCES IN EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS VI, Vol. 13-14 (pp 23-28)
- Taghvaei M, Beck SBM, Boxall JB, Seth A & Staszewski WJ (2008) Leak and feature detection in a water distribution network. BHR Group - Surge Analysis - System Design, Simulation, Monitoring and Control, 10th International Conference on Pressure Surges (pp 125-135)
- Chong CHA, Beck SBM & Nicolleau FCGA (2007) Experimental study of a fractal flowmeter in a pipe. NEW TRENDS IN FLUID MECHANICS RESEARCH (pp 456-458)
- Al-Atabi M, Chin SB, Beck S & Luo XY (2007) Flow in idealised compliant human cystic duct models. NEW TRENDS IN FLUID MECHANICS RESEARCH (pp 610-613)
- Darbyshire OR, Evans A, Wilson CW & Beck SBM (2006) CFD based analysis of burner fuel air mixing over a range of air inlet and fuel pre-heat temperatures for a siemens V94.3A gas turbine burner. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 1 (pp 709-714)
- Beck SBM, Foong J & Staszewski WJ (2006) Wavelet and cepstrum analyses of leaks in pipe networks. Progress in Industrial Mathematics at ECMI 2004, Vol. 8 (pp 559-563)
- Taghvaei M, Beck SBM & Staszewski WJ (2005) Leak detection in pipeline with use of Cepstrum method. 16th International Conference on Pipeline Protection (pp 357-364)
- Ahmadi A, Beck SBM & Stanway R (2005) The swirling orifice plate: A flowmeter for all reasons. Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Fluids Engineering Division Summer Conference, Vol. 2 (pp 409-414)
- Beck SMB, Grinsted SC, Blakey SG & Worden K (2004) A novel design for panel radiators. APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, Vol. 24(8-9) (pp 1291-1300)
- Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2004) The effect of combined radiation and convection on hot dip galvanizing kettle wear. APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, Vol. 24(8-9) (pp 1301-1319)
- Garrard A, Beck S & Styring P (2004) Numerical model of a single phase, regenerative fuel cell. Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology - 2004 (pp 79-84)
- Al-Shidhani I, Beck SBM & Staszewski WJ (2003) Leak monitoring in pipeline networks using wavelet analysis. DAMAGE ASSESSMENT OF STRUCTURES, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 245-2 (pp 51-58)
- Beck SBM, Wong CCD & Stanway R (2000) Pipe network identification through signal analysis techniques. 8TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PRESSURE SURGES(39) (pp 547-556)
- Wang H, Beck SBM, Priestman GH & Boucher RF (1998) Pressure wave attenuation in two phase flow. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE
- Wang H, Beck SBM, Priestman GH & Boucher RF (1998) Fluidic flow meter for downhole and other flow measurements. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE
- Beck S, Langston P, Ewan B, Messer P, Smyth R, Swithenbank J & Taylor A (1995) The UHX - A summary. 4TH UK NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON HEAT TRANSFER, Vol. 1995(2) (pp 473-477)
- BECK SBM, BOUCHER RF & HAIDER H (1994) MODELLING WATER HAMMER WITH TRANSMISSION LINE TECHNIQUES. 1994 ICHEME RESEARCH EVENT, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 1099-1101)
- BECK SBM, BOUCHER RF & HAIDER H (1994) THE IN-LINE FLUIDIC HAMMER DEVICE. 1994 ICHEME RESEARCH EVENT, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 1169-1171)
- Beck SBM & Boucher RF (1991) Stability of vortex amplifier circuits with twin control pipes. Flucome '91 (pp 467-472)
- Collins RC, Fox S, Beck S, Saul AJ & Boxall JB () Intrusion and leakage through cracks and slits in plastic (MDPE) pipes. 14th Water Distribution Systems Analysis Conference. Adelaide, Australia, 24 September 2012 - 27 September 2012.
- Beck S, Lloyd M & Boxall JB () Trapping Pressure Surges Using Two Valves and Feedforward Control. 11th International Conference on Pressure Surges. Lisbon, Portugal, 24 October 2012 - 26 October 2012.
- Hampson W, Collins R, Beck S & Boxall JB () Onset Detection of Transient Waves Using a Novel Experimental Data Set. 11th International Conference on Pressure Surges. Lisbon, Portugal, 24 October 2012 - 26 October 2012.