Dr Ben Jackson
BSc (Hons), MBBS, MRCP, FRCGP, MMedEd
Academic Unit of Medical Education
Senior Clinical University Teacher
Director of Primary Care Teaching
Academic Lead for Masters in Physician Associate Studies
Lecturer, Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education
+44 114 222 2082
Full contact details
Academic Unit of Medical Education
Sam Fox House
Northern General Hospital
After graduating from Medical School (London) in 1993 I took up an academic medical rotation in Manchester before choosing a career in General Practice.
After several years working abroad in New Zealand and Ireland I returned to England in 2001 to take on a vacant list of 1600 patients and found Conisbrough Group Practice, in an ex-mining community in South Yorkshire. Our project was to grow and develop a teaching, training and research practice that delivered excellent clinical care and was embedded in our community; we have been actively engaged in all these areas and now provide care for over 11,000 patients.
I started teaching Sheffield UG medical students in the practice in 2002, became a postgraduate General Practice trainer in 2004 and have supervised Nurses, Pharmacists and Paramedics in developing extending roles within primary care.
I was Programme Director for Doncaster GP training programme for 4 years before becoming Associate Postgraduate Dean and then Deputy Director of the School of Primary Care in Yorkshire and the Humber, before moving to my current role at the university.
- Research interests
- Medical Education
- Longitudinal Integrated Clinical Placements
- Health Inequities
- Primary Care workforce development
- 2015 to date. Establishment of Primary Care Workforce hub within the regional NHS integrated care system.
- 2015-2017. Thesis: facilitating and barrier factors to the introduction of Physician Associated into the primary care workforce.
- 2015 to date. Deep End Yorkshire and the Humber: founder member of movement to help address health inequities where possible through Workforce, Education and training, Advocacy and Research
- 2018 Project team. NHS England Scoping Report into Advanced Clinical Practice in General Practice.
- Trainee engagement with reflection in online portfolios: A qualitative study highlighting the impact of the Bawa-Garba case on professional development. Medical Teacher. View this article in WRRO
- GP-facilitated teaching in hospitals: The way forward? [Response to letter]. Advances in Medical Education and Practice, 11, 493-494.
- Developing Medical Students’ Broad Clinical Diagnostic Reasoning Through GP-Facilitated Teaching in Hospital Placements. Advanced in Medical Education and Practice, 2020(11), 379-388. View this article in WRRO
- Books: The Exceptional Potential of General Practice: Making a Difference in Primary Care. British Journal of General Practice, 70(690), 32.1-32.
- Designing a curriculum to address barriers and facilitators to integrating physician associates into the general practice workforce : a grounded theory approach. Education for Primary Care, 30(3), 188-189. View this article in WRRO
- A truth universally acknowledged: moving to Universal Credit leads to large debt and poor mental health. British Journal of General Practice, 68(677), 577-577. View this article in WRRO
- Professional resilience in GPs working in areas of socio-economic deprivation: a qualitative study.. British Journal of General Practice. View this article in WRRO
- New Teams in General Practice. InnovAiT, 11(9), 506-512. View this article in WRRO
- Introducing quality improvement teaching into general practice undergraduate placements. Education for Primary Care, 29(4), 228-231. View this article in WRRO
- Barriers and facilitators to integration of physician associates into the general practice workforce: a grounded theory approach. British Journal of General Practice, 67(664), e785-e791. View this article in WRRO
- General practice and the Sustainability and Transformation imperatives. British Journal of General Practice, 67(658), 196-197. View this article in WRRO
- A ‘brexistential crisis’ in solidarity. British Journal of General Practice, 67(656), 124-124. View this article in WRRO
- Embedding a sustainable skills-based safeguarding children course across multiple postgraduate general practice training programmes. Education for Primary Care, 28(1), 59-62.
- Mining for Deep End GPs: a group forged with steel in Yorkshire and Humber. British Journal of General Practice, 67(654), 36-37. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Re: General practice is making a leap in the dark. BMJ.
- How can medical schools encourage students to choose general practice as a career?. British Journal of General Practice, 66(647), 292-293.
- Apprentice leaders in training: ‘talking the walk’. Education for Primary Care, 26(6), 416-418. View this article in WRRO
- Self-authorship theory and medical education: AMEE Guide No. 98. Medical Teacher, 37(6), 521-532. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO A general practice taster programme for foundation doctors. BMJ Careers.
- Teaching exchange. Education for Primary Care, 26(2), 102-112.
- Helping international medical graduates adapt to the UK general practice context: A values-based course for developing patient-centred skills. Education for Primary Care, 26(2), 105-108.
- Funds are not reaching frontline services. BMJ, i6273-i6273.
- Developing Clinical Reasoning in a Physician Assistant curriculum. The University of Sheffield approach.. Journal of Physician Assistant Education.
- View this article in WRRO A Tale of Two Cities: Hull and York In Matheson J (Ed.), Tackling Causes and Consequences of Health Inequalities A Practical Guide CRC Press
- Exploring the value of patient-centred care and diversity issues at the start of training helps IMG’s apply these concepts in clinical settings.. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Promoting a career in general practice: the work experience programme.. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Stakeholder opinion on the incorporation of physician associates into the primary care workforce. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Yorkshire and Humber GPs at the Deep End: Primary care tackling health inequity.. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Unpacking the P's : Physician Associates and the General Practice Workforce. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference, Harrogate.
- Barriers and Facilitators to the incorporation of Physician Associates to the General Practice Workforce. Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME) annual scientific conference, 2016, Belfast.
- 2015, NHS innovation/UoS £6000
- Stakeholder contribution to the UoS development of a Postgraduate Certificate in Physician Associate curriculum
- 2016, Educational project grant, two projects - £110,000
- Development of General Practitioner input into hospital Longitudinal Integrated Placements
- Development of undergraduate clinical placements in practices in deprived areas
- Teaching interests
Our mission at the medical school has been to work with students to present General Practice as the engaging and demanding discipline, and to help them to develop the holistic approach that underpins our practice in the community.
We seek to expand the contribution and influence of this generalist approach where we can within the curriculum, and explore where we can through robust evaluation of our interventions.
More recently we have extended this work beyond undergraduate medical students through the establishment of a master’s programme for Physician Associates based on these principles.
- Teaching activities
PG Cert Medical Education Module 2 Teaching and Learning in a Clinical Setting: this module seeks to link the educational theories learned in the certificate with learning within a clinical setting, with a particular focus on a mentoring apprenticeship approach.
Joint academic lead for the UoS Masters in Physician Associate Studies.
- Professional activities
- GP Principal, Conisbrough Group Practice (from 2002)
- GP Clinical and Educational Supervisor, Conisbrough Group Practice (from 2004)
Other Professional Roles
- RCGP Ambassador to South Yorkshire & Bassetlaw ICS
- Chair, South Yorkshire & Bassetlaw Primary Care Workforce Group, HEYH
- Professional Coach, Health Education Yorkshire and the Humber