Dr Margaret Paggiosi
BSc (Hons), PhD
Department of Oncology and Metabolism
Research Lead for Bone Densitometry
+44 114 215 9697
Full contact details
Department of Oncology and Metabolism
Metabolic Bone Centre (Sorby Wing)
Northern General Hospital
I am the Research Lead for Bone Densitometry for the Mellanby Centre for Bone Research, Academic Unit of Bone Metabolism, Department of Oncology and Metabolism, The University of Sheffield, UK.
I completed my undergraduate studies at Sheffield Hallam University, UK and attained a BSc Honours degree in Biomedical Technology. In 1998, I received my PhD in Exercise Physiology from Sheffield Hallam University.
In 1996, I joined the Department of Human Metabolism and Clinical Biochemistry, The University of Sheffield to work as a DXA Scanning Technician and Research Associate. I now hold the position of Research Fellow.
I am responsible for the provision of the Academic Unit of Bone Metabolism’s bone densitometry service to internal and external organisations and investigators.
I have considerable expertise in a wide variety of bone densitometry and image analysis techniques. I am the Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) for the bone imaging work conducted at the NIHR Clinical Research Facility at the Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.
I have published over 20 articles in peer-reviewed journals and present my work at national and international conferences.
- Research interests
My current research interests include the evaluation and application of high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography, the study of bone microstructural properties and strength and the evaluation of treatment effects using bone densitometry techniques.
I have considerable expertise in the field of vertebral fracture identification. Of particular interest currently is the development of a computer-assisted diagnostic tool to automate the reading of spine images, using the algorithm-based qualitative (ABQ) method, to provide an accurate and reliable means of identifying vertebral fractures.
- Quantitative computed tomography discriminates between postmenopausal women with low spine bone mineral density with vertebral fractures and those with low spine bone mineral density only: the SHATTER study. Osteoporosis International, 31(4), 667-675.
- The effect of bisphosphosphonates on bone turnover and bone balance in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: The T-score bone marker approach in the TRIO study. Bone, 131, 115158-115158.
- Characterising variability and regional correlations of microstructure and mechanical competence of human tibial trabecular bone: An in-vivo HR-pQCT study.. BONE, 121, 139-148. View this article in WRRO
- Clinical utility of bone turnover markers in monitoring the withdrawal of treatment with oral bisphosphonates in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporosis International. View this article in WRRO
- Bone Research Society Abstracts. JBMR Plus, 2(S1), S1-S50.
- Effects of discontinuing oral bisphosphonate treatments for postmenopausal osteoporosis on bone turnover markers and bone density. Osteoporosis International, 29(6), 1407-1417. View this article in WRRO
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Biomarkers and Imaging for Bone Turnover in Renal Osteodystrophy.. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. View this article in WRRO
- Teriparatide treatment exerts differential effects on the central and peripheral skeleton: results from the MOAT study. Osteoporosis International, 29(6), 1367-1378. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of teriparatide treatment on circulating periostin and its relationship to regulators of bone formation and BMD in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. View this article in WRRO
- Validation of calcaneus trabecular microstructure measurements by HR-pQCT. Bone, 106, 69-77. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of age and gender on serum periostin: Relationship to cortical measures, bone turnover and hormones. Bone, 99, 8-13. View this article in WRRO
- HR-pQCT: a non-invasive 'biopsy' to assess bone structure and strength.. Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed, 101, 268-270. View this article in WRRO
- Mutations in Known Monogenic High Bone Mass Loci Only Explain a Small Proportion of High Bone Mass Cases. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 31(3), 640-649. View this article in WRRO
- Response of bone turnover markers to three oral bisphosphonate therapies in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Osteoporosis International, 27(1), 21-31. View this article in WRRO
- Bone turnover markers: response to comments by Seeman and Nguyen. Osteoporosis International, 27(1), 37-37. View this article in WRRO
- Bone Density, Microstructure and Strength in Obese and Normal Weight Men and Women in Younger and Older Adulthood. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 30(5), 920-928. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of glucocorticoid therapy on trabecular bone score in older women. Osteoporosis International, 26(6), 1773-1780. View this article in WRRO
- Leptin May Play a Role in Bone Microstructural Alterations in Obese Children. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 100(2), 594-602. View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of the effects of three oral bisphosphonate therapies on the peripheral skeleton in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Osteoporosis International, 25(12), 2729-2741.
- Precision of high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography measurement variables: influence of gender, examination site, and age.. Calcif Tissue Int, 94(2), 191-201.
- Analysis of body composition in individuals with high bone mass reveals a marked increase in fat mass in women but not men.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 98(2), 818-828.
- Adherence to raloxifene therapy: assessment methods and relationship with efficacy. OSTEOPOROSIS INTERNATIONAL, 24(11), 2879-2886.
- Cortical consolidation of the radius and tibia in young men and women.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 97(9), 3342-3348.
- Supine vs decubitus lateral patient positioning in vertebral fracture assessment.. J Clin Densitom, 15(4), 454-460.
- A European multicenter comparison of quantitative ultrasound measurement variables: the OPUS study.. Osteoporos Int, 23(12), 2815-2828.
- International variation in proximal femur bone mineral density.. Osteoporos Int, 22(2), 721-729.
- The effect of cessation of raloxifene treatment on bone turnover in postmenopausal women.. Bone, 46(3), 592-597.
- Performance of quantitative ultrasound measurements of bone for monitoring raloxifine therapy. Journal of Clinical Densitometry, 13(4), 441-450.
- Effect of temperature on the longitudinal variability of quantitative ultrasound variables.. J Clin Densitom, 8(4), 436-444.
- Leptin is associated with bone microstructural changes in obese children. Endocrine Abstracts.
- Determinants of bone turnover marker response to three oral bisphosphonate therapies in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Bone Abstracts.
- The effect of bisphosphonate treatment on sclerostin levels in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Bone Abstracts.
- Diagnostic discrimination of TBS and spine BMD in glucocorticoid-induced and postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone Abstracts.
- High-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography in children with osteogenesis imperfecta. Pediatric Radiology. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- FP610 Vascular calcification in advanced CKD and its relationship with bone microstructures. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, Vol. 34(Supplement_1). Budapest, Hungary, 13 June 2019 - 16 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of type 1 diabetes mellitus on skeletal integrity and strength in adolescents aged 12 to 16 years; as assessed by High Resolution peripheral Quantitative Computed Tomography (HRpQCT). Bone Abstracts
- Arthritis Research UK Medical Technologies Proof of Concept Award. Development and Evaluation of a Functional Prototype for the Automated Identification of Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures: VERDICT. Frangi AF (PI), Paggiosi MA (co-applicant), Eastell R, Pozo Soler J, Peel NFA, Jacques R. Project grant: April 2017 to March 2019.
- Weston Park Hospital Cancer Charity Louise Victoria Craddock Memorial fund. Equipment Purchase: DXA Machine That Is Particularly Effective At Measuring Body Fat. Paggiosi MA (PI), Eastell R, Brown JE. Capital project grant: November 2016 to April 2017.
- The University of Sheffield Innovation, Impact and Knowledge Exchange (IIKE) Award. Cal-CT: Optimising calcaneus microstructure measurements for the assessment of skeletal strength in osteoporosis. EV McCloskey (PI), Frangi AF, Metcalf LM, Paggiosi MA (co-applicant). Project grant: October 2015 to March 2017.
- The University of Sheffield through the MRC Confidence in Concept Scheme. VERTEBRAL FRACTURE: Vertebral analysis and fracture risk assessment from 2D DXA scans. Eastell R (PI), Frangi AF, Paggiosi MA (co-applicant), Pozo Soler J. Project grant: July 2014 to June 2015
- Teaching activities
I lecture on the Mellanby Centre for Bone Research ‘Identification of Vertebral Fractures’ training courses and on the Academic Unit of Bone Metabolism’s teaching course.
I perform ad hoc teaching including the practical aspects of bone imaging techniques, radiation protection to students and members of staff.
- Professional activities
I am a member of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, the Society of Radiographers and a professional member of the National Osteoporosis Society.
I act as co-organiser and co-chair of the Allied Health Professional session for the European Calcified Tissue Society at their annual conferences.
I am a regular reviewer of articles for key journals including Osteoporosis International, the Journal of Clinical Densitometry and Bone.