Partners will reciprocally support each other in achieving their own pre-agreed goals, alternatively acting as learner and teacher, taking responsibility for their own learning and providing constructive opportunities for language practice and feedback to their partner.
- University credits: 10
- University levels: 1-4
In addition to being native speakers of the language they are 'teaching', students should have the following qualifications or equivalent learning experience in the language they are learning:
MLT347A Spanish-English Tandem Advanced 1: MLT216, A level grade A-C, CEF B1+
MLT219A Spanish-English Tandem Higher Advanced 1: MLT263, A level + 1 year or stay abroad, CEF B2
MLT327A Spanish-English Tandem Proficient 1: MLT313 (> 65%), A level + 2 years or long stay abroad, CEF C1
- Co-requisite: N/A.
- Availability: Students of the University of Sheffield taking the module for credits, Erasmus students.
- Teaching period: Autumn semester (See timetables and course dates)
- Contact times: Two introductory seminars in Weeks 2 and 4, and two counselling session in Weeks 4 and 7. Also a minimum of 20 hours of bilingual collaborative learning with a native-speaker partner. Sessions to be arranged by partners, at least 2 hours per week divided equally between the 2 languages.
- Group size: Tandem pair.
- Language Co-ordinator: Dr Minerva Sirera-Trull
- Module Leader: Dr Minerva Sirera-Trull
MLT347A Spanish-English Tandem Advanced 1: MLT263
MLT219A Spanish-English Tandem Higher Advanced 1: MLT313
MLT327A Spanish-English Tandem Proficient 1: MLT353
This unit aims to enable students to develop their spoken proficiency and intercultural awareness in relation to the language they are studying through weekly meetings with a native-speaker partner and to acquire independent language learning skills through regular supervision from a language tutor and the completion of a personal planning and reflexive diary.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- perform at the following level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages:
- MLT347: B2-
- MLT219: B2+
- MLT327: C1+
- speak the language with greater fluency and accuracy
- demonstrate enhanced perception of the target culture in areas they have prioritised
- study the language and culture more independently (i.e. analysing their language learning needs, setting themselves realistic goals accordingly, developing successful language learning techniques to achieve these goals and evaluating their progress)
- demonstrate a range of transferable skills including effective time-management, reviewing and evaluating procedures, learning from peers and supporting the learning of others.
No set textbooks.
This module can be validated as part of the following schemes:
- Undergraduate degree
- MLTC Certificate of Completion
- Tandem Learner diary (45%): To be submitted in Week 12 (For the 'Advanced' module, learners may choose to write their diary in the target language but for the 'Higher Advanced' module half, and the 'Proficient' module all, of the diary entries will be in the target language.).
- Self-assessment of :
- Progress in language skills (5%);
- Progress in management of learning (5%);
- Tandem Speaking test (45%): Discussion with the partner in Week 12 covering the semester's work (Advanced: 8-10 minutes; Higher Advanced: 10-12 minutes; Proficient: 12-15 minutes).
Feedback: Feedback will be provided regularly by the partner during weekly meetings throughout the semester and by the tutor during the mid-semester counselling session.
The content of our courses is reviewed annually to make sure it is up-to-date and relevant. Individual modules are occasionally updated or withdrawn. This is in response to discoveries through our world-leading research, funding changes, professional accreditation requirements, student or employer feedback, outcomes of reviews, and variations in staff or student numbers. In the event of any change we'll consult and inform students in good time and take reasonable steps to minimise disruption.
Information last updated: 8 November 2021