Attendance monitoring

How and why we monitor your attendance and information on taking an absence from University.


Our video below explains attendance monitoring and provides information on taking absences.

Why we monitor your attendance

Your department is required to monitor your attendance throughout your studies to:

  1. Ensure you are engaging with your course.
  2. Identify where you are struggling.
  3. Ensure you have access to the right support.

Lack of attendance over a long period of time can lead to formal action by your department and in some cases, withdrawal from the University. See your student handbook for information on how your department monitors attendance.

Student or Tier 4 visa holders

You're required to be in regular attendance on your course and inform your department of any short or long-term absences.

We can withdraw the sponsorship of your visa if your attendance is not satisfactory.

For more information on your Student or Tier 4 visa responsibilities, visit the Student visa responsibilities page.

If you want to change your course, take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University, visit the Change of status pages for Student or Tier 4 visa holders (student login required).

Study abroad and Erasmus students

Your host department and our central services (including Student Administration Service and International Student Support, Advice & Compliance) will monitor and review your attendance.

Professional courses

If you're on a professional course, we'll consider your attendance when awarding your professional accreditation.

Absences and change of status

If you want to take an absence of seven days or less, complete the Self-certification form and return it to your department.

Find out more about taking a leave of absencewithdrawing from the University or changing your course

(Student login is required for these links)


If you're struggling to attend University for whatever reason, you can speak to your personal tutor or department in the first instance.

Our dedicated support services can also offer you help and guidance: (student login is required for the following links)

Study skills support

Student Advice Centre

University Health Service

Mental health and counselling

Disability and dyslexia support

If you don't know which service you need, visit the page below:

See where to find support

Still got questions?

Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.

A world top-100 university

We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.