Estranged students

An outline of the support and services available if you're estranged from your parents or carers.


University support

If you've had no permanent contact, relationship with or support from your parents or carers for a year or more, we give you support and advice to help ease your transition to University. 

Find out about the Student Wellbeing Service (student login required)

Financial support

As an estranged student, you may be eligible to apply for a range of financial schemes that can help you during your studies.

Read more about available schemes:

University bursary for estranged students

Accommodation scholarships for estranged students

External support

Outside the University, the national charity Stand Alone gives independent, specialised support and advice to individuals living in estrangement from their family, parents or siblings.

They run support groups, therapeutic workshops and a programme to connect people for ongoing emotional support.

We've been recognised by Stand Alone for pledging our ongoing support for estranged students.

See our Stand Alone support

Still got questions?

Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.