Registration at other times of the year

Guidance for students registering outside of the main September registration period.


Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses 

This will guide you through the process of applying and registering for a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course, such as:

  • Language modules for members of the public
  • Certificate in Learning and Teaching
  • Sociological Studies CPD
  • CPD Nursing programmes
  • English Language Teaching Centre short courses

How to apply

The application process for each CPD course can vary by department, but it’s likely that you’ll need to complete one of the following:

  • Online application form
  • Expression of interest/paper application form sent to the academic department

These will then be processed and approved by the department and Admissions Service at the University.

Once your application has been processed, we’ll create an applicant record. 

How to complete registration

Online pre-registration phase 1

Once you’ve received an unconditional offer to study, you’ll receive an email from us notifying you to complete some pre-registration tasks.

Online pre-registration phase 2

Approximately 1-2 months before your course start date, you’ll receive a second email from us notifying you to complete the next stage of pre-registration tasks.

For information about how to complete your pre-registration tasks and register with the University, visit the relevant page below. 

All of the tasks on this page will be the same for you, however how you collect your UCard is different (see the 'Collect your UCard' section below). 

Accessing pre-registration if you’re University staff

You’ll receive an email from inviting you to activate your MUSE account. You’ll be given your University username and asked to create a password. 

If you’re a University staff member studying on a CPD course, you can activate your username and follow the instructions to forward your student email to your staff address via the page below: 

Collect your UCard

Once you’ve completed your registration you can collect a student UCard, which officially identifies you as a University of Sheffield student. 

Contact your academic department to confirm arrangements for collecting your UCard, as they may issue this to you.

Even if you don’t intend to use your UCard on campus, the card number also acts as your library number which you’ll need to access online library services.

Study Abroad and Exchange

Spring semester registration 2024

Right to Study checks and Registration will take place between Friday 2nd February 2024 and Friday 9th February 2024. A link to book your Right to Study check appointment will be available once you have completed your pre-registration tasks.

Choosing your modules 

Approved modules chosen as part of your application will be added to your record automatically.

If you have an exemption to study less than 60 credits, upload confirmation from your home University during pre-registration in the task ‘Upload your Module Confirmation Letter’.

Changing your modules 

Once you’ve completed your registration, you’ll be able to change your modules (if you choose) through the "Add/Drop" process.

The Add/Drop system for the Spring semester opens on Monday 5 February 2024, and will stay open until Friday 16 February 2024. You can access this via MUSE.

You can use the system to make requests to exchange one module for another of the same credit value. 

If you’re still required to select additional modules after registering, or you need to drop an individual module, use the form on the page below: 

Once your completed add/drop form has been received, the Registration and Records Team will update your student record.

If you have queries about using the Add/Drop system, or need advice about selecting new modules, contact the departmental exchange tutor.

Right to study checks

If you’re an international student and you require a visa to study in the UK, you must upload a copy of your visa as part of your pre-registration tasks.

The documentation you must upload will be dependent on your travel plans and the type of visa you have.

If you can’t provide all the evidence listed for your visa type, provide what you can and we’ll request any additional documents later.

You’ll be asked to book and attend a Right to Study check before you can complete your registration. For more information, visit: