Tuition fees for Undergraduate Overseas students

Tuition fees information for Overseas Undergraduate students.


Your tuition fee

For the 2021-2022 academic year, the University of Sheffield will charge new full-time overseas undergraduates, tuition fees between £19,050 and £24,450. (except for Medicine and Dentistry courses - see below).

The tuition fee you pay in your first year will be the same for each year of your course. This is only applicable if you stay on the same course - if you change course, you may be subject to a higher rate in subsequent years of study.

Tuition fees for Medicine and Dentistry degrees

21/22 students:

  • Medicine students will pay £36,240 per year for 5 years
  • Dentistry students will pay £38,790 per year for 5 years

We recommend that you check your fee in advance of arriving by using the fees look-up tool:

Important information

Before you start your course, please ensure you read and understand the information below about your fee status and the Financial Declaration.

Fee status - Home or Overseas

In common with other UK universities, the University of Sheffield will charge a differential (higher) rate of fee to those classified as being liable to pay such a fee under the terms of government legislation (Education [Fees and Awards] Regulations as amended).

If you do not meet any of the conditions set out here you will be liable to pay at the overseas rate of tuition fee. In all cases, fee status is subject to confirmation by the University and will be subject to change at any point if it emerges that information you provided during the process of admission was incorrect.

Once your fee status has been correctly determined, it is unlikely this will change at any point during your registration with the University for that course; this includes where you are granted Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK for settlement purposes part-way through your course.

If you think you will qualify for 'home' fees at some point in the future, you are best advised to defer your entry until then. Check our Fee status page carefully to make sure you've understood the rules correctly.

Financial Declaration

All students must complete the Financial Declaration, online, in advance:

You will be sent a link, via email, asking you to complete your pre-registration actions; this includes completing the Financial Declaration.

By completing the Financial Declaration you are confirming the source and level of your funding. This provides the University with a guarantee that you have enough money to cover your tuition fee and living costs. You will also be asked additional questions regarding any expected sponsorship, your nationality/immigration status and residential history; this information is required to determine your tuition fee status.

You will be asked to confirm that you have at least the following amounts of money available to cover living costs for you and any dependants. The monthly living costs recommended by the UK government are £1,023 per calendar month outside of London. Although much depends on your personal standard of living, the figures below will give you an idea of the budget needed for your study in Sheffield.

These figures represent an estimate of the minimum amount of money you will need during the 2021-22 academic year. Students completing courses of more than one year will also be expected to have budgeted to have a similar amount (plus an inflationary increase) for future years of study.

For further information about budgeting for the expected cost of study, check ‘Welcome to the University of Sheffield’ which you should already have received, or use the University’s money planner on the following link.

Estimated budget:

  • 9 months in Sheffield - an undergraduate course (September-June)- £9,207
  • 12 months in Sheffield - a postgraduate course (September-August)- £12,276

The above will cover accommodation, food, books, equipment, insurance and local transport costs. Students with dependents will need to budget for additional expenses. You should budget for £680 per month for each dependant (spouse or child).

If you have any concerns about your funding, you have not yet secured the required funds or there is a risk that your funding will cease before you have completed your studies, you are requested to defer your admission until your funding is in place and secure.

If the University has any concerns about your funding and the validity of your Financial Declaration, we will ask you to provide evidence of sufficient funding before allowing you to register.

Please do not make arrangements to come to the University if your funding is not secure and confirmed. Also, please do not expect or rely on the possibility of receiving financial help from the University, as such funds are extremely limited and are not available to fund student tuition.

How to pay your tuition fee

Sponsored students

If you are being sponsored by an external organisation, our Sponsored Students page will help you to find out about what you need to do.

If you are paying your own tuition fees

You will be sent a link via email, asking you to complete your pre-registration actions; this is where you arrange to pay your tuition fee, online, in advance.

Paying your tuition fee is an integral part of registration at the University. We advise you to arrange your fee payments in advance of your arrival.

If you are unable to do this then you must arrange to pay tuition fees before you attend Registration. You will not be able to register until you have done this.

Once you have completed your online Financial Declaration (see above) you can arrange payment according to the Payment Plans set out below.

Invoices: please be aware that, unlike some other universities, we do not defer the collection of tuition fees until later in the year and we do not issue invoices to self-financed students.

Payment plans: Self-funded students

Payment plan 1 : payment in full - in advance

  • Make a payment by card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, CUP - China Union Pay)
  • Make a single payment by Bank Transfer or a range of online payment options (using our international payments WU Globalpay for students)

For more information about this, watch this short video or download this info sheet (PDF, 741kB)

For payment of fees by WU Globalpay you can track your payment here.

Payment plan 2: payment in two instalments

If your share of the tuition fee is £1000 or more and you are in attendance for the full academic year, you can pay your tuition fee in two instalments. Example: you will pay 50% on 1 October and 50% on 1 February.

The following are acceptable payment methods to pay in two instalments:

  • Direct Debit. This must be a UK current bank account. To allow your bank time to set this up, this payment option is only available until two weeks before the first instalment date.
  • Make a payment by card, eg Mastercard, Visa, American Express

Additional information

Students doing a placement (in employment/in industry) or studying abroad as part of their course

Fees for each student's future Placement or future Study Abroad are set ahead of the academic year in which they will participate on the Placement or Study Abroad year.

Use the below figures as an indication of your tuition fees for future years. Please note these figures are only applicable for 2021/22 starters.

Form of non-standard study

Indicative tuition fees (Overseas student)

Full Year Abroad (with ARTS fee of £19,050 in 21/22)


Full Year Abroad (with LOW COST SCI fee of £21,450 in 21/22)


Full Year Abroad (with SCIENCE fee of £24,450 in 22/22)


One Semester Abroad (with ARTS fee of £19,050 in 21/22)


One semester Abroad (with LOW COST SCI fee of £21,450 in 21/22)


One Semester Abroad (with SCIENCE fee of £24,450 in 21/22)


Year In Employment (with ARTS fee of £19,050 in 21/22)


Year In Employment (with LOW COST SCI fee of £21,450 in 21/22)


Year In Employment (with SCIENCE fee of £24,450 in 21/22)


Year in Industry: All courses with exceptions below* (with SCIENCE fee of £24,450 in 21/22)


*Year in Industry: Students on programme CHMU07 in Chemistry and students in the department of MBB going In Industry in Level 4 of an MBiol (with SCIENCE fee of £24,450 in 21/22)



Overseas students in the Faculties of Science and Engineering, the Faculty of Arts and the School of Law are entitled to a scholarship. There are further scholarships available eg alumni, sibling & spouse.

For further information please go to our prospective international students webpages.

You must gain 60% or more from 120 credits in your examinations to be eligible for the scholarship in subsequent years of study.

What if I cannot pay or provide a sponsor letter in advance or at registration?

You should plan to pay your fee for your first year of study on the day that you register, if you have not already paid in advance.

If you have a good reason for delaying payment (eg you are still awaiting a letter from your sponsor), temporary registration will be given for up to three weeks. You must provide the missing documentation and/or payment within this three-week period.

If you are unable to do this, you must contact Student Administration Service to inform them of the delay and to seek further advice. If you fail to keep Student Administration Service informed of the position, your temporary registration will lapse and you may lose permission to use the University facilities and attend lectures. Do not assume that a sponsor will contact the University on your behalf – it is your responsibility to provide complete financial information and payment.

Will the University send a receipt for any payment made in advance?

Due to the high volume of payments received at this time of year, the University does not generally issue receipts; however, if you pay your fees online, in advance of your arrival, the card/account holder will receive an email confirming payment.

What if I cannot pay by any of the methods on this page?

Contact the Student Fees and Funding Team for advice at

What happens if I default on my payment?

Please make every effort to honour your agreement to pay by ensuring that there are sufficient funds in the relevant account on the instalment due dates. If you know that you will have difficulty in meeting a payment, please contact Student Administration Service well in advance of the payment date in order to discuss a possible alternative arrangement.

It is your responsibility to make contact. If a payment does not reach the University as required and you have not made contact in advance:

  • Your registration will be subject to immediate review and could be cancelled.
  • Your computer facilities could be cancelled.
  • Your registration may only be renewed once you have paid all of your fee or have made a satisfactory arrangement to pay your fee.

Please be advised that the University reserves the right to insist that payment is made in full at the start of each year of study. It is therefore in your interests to honour all payments if you wish to continue to pay in instalments in future years.

What if I decide to leave my course or take a break from studying?

If, when you are a student, you have to take leave of absence or withdraw entirely from your programme of study, you may wish to know how this would affect your tuition fees.

Still got questions?

Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.