BSc, MSc, PhD (Sheffield)
School of Health and Related Research
+44 114 215 9130
Full contact details
School of Health and Related Research
Regent Court (ScHARR)
30 Regent Street
I joined ScHARR in October 2017 as a Research Fellow in Health Economics and Decision Science, working for the policy research unit in economic methods of evaluation in health and social care interventions (EEPRU). My work involves scoping and systematic appraisals of the literature, econometric analysis of patient level data, cost-effectiveness analysis (eg of trial data), decision modelling and health policy evaluation.
After I completed my PhD in economics (University of Sheffield, 2012) I worked at the University of Newcastle in the Institute of Health and Society, and at the University of Manchester in the Division of Dentistry of the School of Medical Sciences.
I have experience in many areas of health economics and have recently focused on decision modelling and econometric methods for causal evaluation. This includes economic evaluations of: The NHS Breast Cancer Screening Programme; the NHS-wide ‘Agenda for Change’ reform to pay, terms and conditions; the production efficiency of dentistry practices; the impact on NHS services of a change in dentist remuneration from a fee-for-service to a capitation contract; forecasting the change in UK-wide economic outcomes from an improvement in population health.
- Research interests
- Decision modelling for health economic evaluations.
- Applied microeconometrics, particularly quasi-experimental research.
- Resource allocation and allocative efficiency (eg production frontier models)
This person does not have any publications available.
- An eReferral Management & Triage System for minor oral surgery referrals from primary care dentists: a cost-effectiveness evaluation. BMC Health Services Research, 21. View this article in WRRO
- Intensive therapy for moderate established rheumatoid arthritis: the TITRATE research programme. Programme Grants for Applied Research, 9(8). View this article in WRRO
- How can we decide a fair allocation of healthcare resources during a pandemic?. Journal of Medical Ethics, 47(12). View this article in WRRO
- Exploring Preferences of Swiss Older People For Dental Services As They Begin To Lose Their Independence. Swiss dental journal, 130(11), 876-84.
- The clinical effectiveness of intensive management in moderate established rheumatoid arthritis : the titrate trial. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 50(5), 1182-1190.
- The impact of changing provider remuneration on clinical activity and quality of care: evaluation of a pilot NHS contract in Northern Ireland. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. View this article in WRRO
- A review of the methods used to generate utility values in NICE technology assessments for children and adolescents. Value in Health. View this article in WRRO
- Are current reporting standards used to describe health state utilities in cost-effectiveness models satisfactory?. Value in Health, 23(3), 397-405. View this article in WRRO
- Does capitation affect the delivery of oral healthcare and access to services? Evidence from a pilot contact in Northern Ireland. BMC Health Services Research, 17(1).
- The technical efficiency of oral healthcare provision: Evaluating role substitution in National Health Service dental practices in England. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 45(4), 310-316.
- Productive efficiency and its determinants in the Community Dental Service in the north-west of England. Community dental health, 34(2).
- A Markov model assessing the impact on primary care practice revenues and patient's health when using mid-level providers, lesson learned from the United Kingdom. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 77(4), 334-343.
- Nocturia Work Productivity and Activity Impairment Compared with Other Common Chronic Diseases. PharmacoEconomics, 34(12), 1277-1297.
- A Novel Approach to Proactive Primary Care-Based Case Finding and Multidisciplinary Management of Falls, Syncope, and Dizziness in a One-Stop Service: Preliminary Results. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 64(11), 2368-2373.
- Leadership in dentistry: findings from new tool to measure clinical leadership. Journal of Healthcare Leadership, 2015(7), 13-20.
- Senior clinician views regarding introduction of a ‘time to specialist’ quality measure for unselected emergency admissions. Future Hospital Journal, 2(1), 38-42.
- The development and piloting of a leadership questionnaire for general dental practitioners: preliminary results from the North West of England and Tokyo. British Dental Journal, 217(9), E17-E17.
- A systematic review of the activity and impact of emergency care practioners in the NHS. Emergency Medicine Journal, 31(10), 853-860.
- Does the falls efficacy scale international version measure fear of falling: a reassessment of internal validity using a factor analytic approach. Age and Ageing, 43(4), 559-562.
- A review of the methods used to generate utility values in NICE technology appraisals for paediatrics
- An evaluation of an eReferral Management & Triage System for Minor Oral Surgery referrals from primary care dentists
- Determining the optimal model for role substitution in NHS dental services in the UK: a mixed-methods study