Chris Carroll BA, MA (King's College London), MSc (Sheffield), PhD (Cantab.)
Reader in Systematic Review and Evidence Synthesis
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0864
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
My BA, MA and PhD were in History, but I completed a vocational MSc in Information Science at Sheffield in 2003 and joined ScHARR in 2004 to work on a project funded by the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE). During that time I completed two postgraduate modules on systematic review and critical appraisal methods. I then worked as a Research Associate for two years before joining HEDS as a Research Fellow in Systematic Review in 2007, and started work as a Senior Lecturer and Course Director of the MSc in International Health Technology Assessment, Pricing and Reimbursement (iHTA) in early 2011. I was promoted to Reader in 2014 and made a University Senate Fellow for Excellence in Learning and Teaching. I stepped down as Course Director of the iHTA programme in 2015 and have returned to working for the ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (TAG) conducting appraisals for NICE.
- Systematic review and evidence synthesis of medical, health and social science topics, including qualitative and mixed method evidence synthesis
- The Health Technology Assessment (HTA) process
- Information retrieval and programme evaluation (implementation fidelity) research
- Systematic review and evidence synthesis techniques
- International Health Technology Assessment (HTA)
- I am interested in supervising research students in topics/areas such as systematic review and evidence synthesis methods, the health technology assessment (HTA) process, and implementation research.
- NICE MTA (IP1553): Risk of transmission via surgical interventional procedures of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) (PI: M Stevenson).
- NICE STA: (ID991): Regorafenib for previously treated unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (PI: M Stevenson)
- NICE MTA: (ID56): Cabozantinib and vandetanib for treating unresectable locally advanced or metastatic medullary thyroid cancer (PI: P Tappenden)
- Member of the NICE Interventional Procedures Advisory Committee (IPAC) 2014-
- Carroll C (2017) Qualitative evidence synthesis to improve implementation of clinical guidelines. BMJ, 356. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C & Booth A (2015) Quality assessment of qualitative evidence for systematic review and synthesis: Is it meaningful, and if so, how should it be performed?. Research Synthesis Methods, 6(2), 149-154. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C, Hummel S, Leaviss J, Ren S, Stevens JW, Cantrell A & Michaels J (2014) Systematic review, network meta-analysis and exploratory cost-effectiveness model of randomized trials of minimally invasive techniques versus surgery for varicose veins.. Br J Surg, 101(9), 1040-1052. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C, Booth A, Leaviss J & Rick J (2013) "Best fit" framework synthesis: refining the method.. BMC Med Res Methodol, 13, 37. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C, Rick J, Leaviss J, Fishwick D & Booth A (2013) A qualitative evidence synthesis of employees' views of workplace smoking reduction or cessation interventions.. BMC Public Health, 13, 1095. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C, Booth A & Lloyd-Jones M (2012) Should we exclude inadequately reported studies from qualitative systematic reviews? An evaluation of sensitivity analyses in two case study reviews.. Qual Health Res, 22(10), 1425-1434.
- Carroll C, Booth A & Cooper K (2011) A worked example of "best fit" framework synthesis: a systematic review of views concerning the taking of some potential chemopreventive agents.. BMC Med Res Methodol, 11, 29. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C, Cooper K, Papaioannou D, Hind D, Pilgrim H & Tappenden P (2010) Supplemental Calcium in the Chemoprevention of Colorectal Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. CLIN THER, 32(5), 789-803.
- Carroll C, Rick J, Pilgrim H, Cameron J & Hillage J (2010) Workplace involvement improves return to work rates among employees with back pain on long-term sick leave: a systematic review of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of interventions.. Disabil Rehabil, 32(8), 607-621.
- Carroll C, Patterson M, Wood S, Booth A, Rick J & Balain S (2007) A conceptual framework for implementation fidelity.. Implement Sci, 2, 40. View this article in WRRO