Katy Cooper BSc, PhD (Sheffield)
Senior Research Fellow
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0773
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR in 2004, and since 2007 I have worked in HEDS undertaking systematic reviews of clinical effectiveness of healthcare interventions. From 2004 to 2006 I worked on a number of projects relating to patient safety and quality of care. I gained my BSc and PhD in genetics and cell biology from the University of Sheffield.
My research interests include:
• Systematic reviews of clinical effectiveness for healthcare interventions
• Development of methods for systematic reviewing and evidence synthesis, including rapid review methods
• Systematic reviews of complex interventions
• Patient safety and quality of care
• Complementary and alternative medicine research
My teaching interests include systematic reviews and critical appraisal, meta-analysis, health research methods, and processes for health technology assessment. I teach on several ScHARR Masters courses and short courses.
I am a module co-ordinator on the Methods and Processes module on the MSc in International Health Technology Assessment [link: http://www.shef.ac.uk/scharr/prospective_students/masters/ihtapr]
I am interested in supervising research students in areas such as systematic review methodology and reviews of complex interventions, complementary therapies and preventative interventions.
I am a member of the ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG). I undertake high quality evidence syntheses for the National Institute for Health and care Excellence (NICE), the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, and other funding organisations.
I have recently worked on systematic reviews of the following:
• Treatments for advance Parkinsons disease
• Management of premature ejaculation
• Psychosocial interrentions for cannabis cessation
• Therapeutic effects of yoga for health and wellbeing
• Prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine use
• Comparison of triage and direct transfer to specialist care centres versus delivery to the nearest local hospital
• Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer
• PET and MRI imaging for assessment of axillary metastases in breast cancer
• Romiplostim for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
• Homeopathy for insomnia
• Vildagliptin for type 2 diabetes
• Pegfilgrastim for prevention of febrile neutropenia during chemotherapy
• Oseltamivir, zanamivir and amantadine for prevention of influenza
- Cooper K, Chatters R, Kaltenthaler E & Wong R (2016) Psychological and psychosocial interventions for cannabis cessation in adults: a systematic review short report. Health Technology Assessment, 19(56), 1-130. View this article in WRRO
- Harnan SE, Cooper K, Jones SL & Jones E (2015) Pruning and prioritising: a case study of a pragmatic method for managing a rapid systematic review with limited resources. Evidence & Policy: A Journal of Research, Debate and Practice, 11(4), 589-601. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper K, Martyn-St James M, Kaltenthaler E, Dickinson K, Cantrell A, Wylie K, Frodhsam L & Hood C (2015) Behavioral Therapies for Management of Premature Ejaculation: A Systematic Review. Sexual Medicine Open Acccess, 3(3), 174-188. View this article in WRRO
- Hutchinson A, Coster JE, Cooper KL, Pearson M, McIntosh A & Bath PA (2013) A structured judgement method to enhance mortality case note review: development and evaluation.. BMJ Qual Saf, 22(12), 1032-1040. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper KL, Relton C, Thomas KJ & Harris PE (2013) Prevalence of visits to five types of complementary and alternative medicine practitioners by the general population: A systematic review. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper KL, Harnan S, Meng Y, Ward SE, Fitzgerald P, Papaioannou D, Wyld L, Ingram C, Wilkinson ID & Lorenz E (2011) Positron emission tomography (PET) for assessment of axillary lymph node status in early breast cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.. Eur J Surg Oncol, 37(3), 187-198.
- Cooper K, Squires H, Carroll C, Papaioannou D, Booth A, Logan RF, Maguire C, Hind D & Tappenden P (2010) Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation. HEALTH TECHNOL ASSES, 14(32), 1-+.
- Cooper KL & Relton C (2010) Homeopathy for insomnia: a systematic review of research evidence.. Sleep Med Rev, 14(5), 329-337.
- Cooper K, Martyn-St James M, Kaltenthaler E, Dickinson K & Cantrell A () Interventions to treat premature ejaculation: a systematic review short report. Health Technology Assessment, 19(21), 1-180. View this article in WRRO