Dr Munira Essat BSc, MSc, PhD
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0860
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR in April 2009 after gaining a BSc in Chemistry with Pharmacology at the University of Liverpool, followed by an MSc in Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Development and then a PhD in Organic Chemistry from Loughborough University. My work at ScHARR mainly involves undertaking systematic literature reviews (including meta-analysis) on various topics for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment Programme, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), the UK Department of Health (DoH), the pharmaceutical industry and other research funding bodies.
- • Systematic review of evidence for clinical effectiveness in healthcare
• Health policy and decision making
• Systematic review methodology
- Systematic reviews and critical appraisal techniques
- I am a joint module coordinator for the Health Research Methods module on MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling, HAR669.
- I teach on ScHARR's bespoke training course on systematic reviewing
Recent and Current Projects
- The Design, Development, Commissioning and Evaluation of Patient Focused Vascular Services (NIHR Programme Grant)
- Pirfenidone for the Treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (NICE Single Technology Appraisal)
- Gomersal T, Harnan S, Essat M, Tappenden P, Wong R, Lawson R, Pavord I & Everard ML (2016) A systematic review of fractional exhaled nitric oxide in the routine management of childhood asthma. Pediatric Pulmonology, 51(3), 316-328.
- Essat M, Harnan S, Gomersall T, Tappenden P, Wong R, Pavord I, Lawson R & Everard M (2016) Fractional exhaled nitric oxide for the management of asthma in adults: a systematic review. European Respiratory Society, 47(3), 751-768. View this article in WRRO
- Essat M, Tappenden P, Ren S, Bessey A, Archer R, Wong R, Lobo A & Hoque S (2016) Vedolizumab for the Treatment of Adults with Moderate-to-Severe Active Ulcerative Colitis: An Evidence Review Group Perspective of a NICE Single Technology Appraisal. PharmacoEconomics, 34(3), 245-257. View this article in WRRO
- Harnan SE, Tappenden P, Essat M, Gomersall T, Minton J, Wong R, Pavord I, Everard M & Lawson R (2015) Measurement of exhaled nitric oxide concentration in asthma: a systematic review and economic evaluation of NIOX MINO, NIOX VERO and NObreath. Health Technology Assessment, 19(82), 1-330. View this article in WRRO
- Archer R, Paisley S, Essat M, Preston L & Thornhill M (2015) ITERATIVE SIFTING IN THE SELECTION OF RESEARCH EVIDENCE: IMPLICATIONS FOR REVIEWS AND OTHER DECISION PROBLEMS. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 31(1-2), 54-58. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Essat M, Tappenden P & Paisley S (2014) IDENTIFICATION AND REVIEW OF COST-EFFECTIVENESS MODEL PARAMETERS: A QUALITATIVE STUDY. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 30(03), 333-340. View this article in WRRO
- Poku E, Rathbone J, Wong R, Everson-Hock E, Essat M, Pandor A & Wailoo A (2014) The safety of intravitreal bevacizumab monotherapy in adult ophthalmic conditions: systematic review.. BMJ Open, 4(7), e005244. View this article in WRRO
- Essat M & Cooper K (2011) Imatinib as adjuvant therapy for gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a systematic review.. Int J Cancer, 128(9), 2202-2214.
- Duncan R, Essat M, Jones G, Booth A, Woods H, Poku E, Kaltenthaler E, Keetharuth D, Palfreyman S & Michaels J () Patient-Reported Outcome Measures for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: A systematic review and qualitative evidence synthesis. British Journal of Surgery. View this article in WRRO