University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0869
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I graduated from the University of Sheffield in 1996 with a BSc in Physiology and went on to graduate with an MSc in Science, Culture and Communication at the University of Bath in 2002. I worked in the charitable sector as a systematic reviewer at Penny Brohn Cancer Care for two years before joining ScHARR in 2009 as a member of ScHARR-TAG.
Since then, I have worked on and lead health technology assessments and systematic reviews for the National Co-ordinating Centre for Health Technology Assessment (NCCHTA) and for the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Since 2012 I have also been a member of the Department of Health's Policy Research Unit in Economic Evaluation of Health and Care Interventions (EEPRU).
• Health technology assessment
• Systematic review methodologies including
o Diagnostic reviews
o Rapid reviews
o Review of reviews
o Review techniques for network meta analyses
o Non-RCT reviews
o Systematic review of psychometric properties of outcome measures
• Health and wellbeing benefits of the natural environment
I teach a wide range of systematic review topics, including risk of bias, meta-analysis and narrative synthesis, as well as associated topics in health technology assessment. I teach on and co-ordinate a number of modules within Masters Degree programmes here in ScHARR, as well as teaching on ScHARR’s short courses and bespoke training courses.
I am a module co-ordinator for HAR6501, Systematic Reviews and Critical Appraisal Techniques
I am also a module co-ordinator on the Methods and Processes module on the MSc in International Health Technology Assessment
Recent and Current Projects
I am currently working on the following projects:
• Health technology assessment of exhaled nitric oxide for the diagnosis and management of asthma (Diagnostic appraisal report for NICE)
• Systematic review of the association between transfusion independence and overall survival in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome (consultancy)
• Systematic review of reviews of the psychometric properties of the EQ-5D for the National Clinical Audit (EEPRU)
I have recently worked on the following projects
• Health technology assessment of colistimethate sodium and tobramycin dry powder formulations for cystic fibrosis (Multiple technology appraisal for NICE)
• Health technology assessment of treatments for intermittent claudication (Multiple technology appraisal for NICE)
• Appraisal of Rivaroxaban for treatment and secondary prevention of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism (Single technology appraisal for NICE)
• The impact of pre-hospital transfer strategies on clinical outcomes: A systematic review comparing direct transfer to specialist care centres with initial transfer to the nearest local hospital (NIHR SDO project)
• Systematic review and economic evaluation of enhanced imaging techniques for axillary metastases in breast cancer (NIHR HTA)
• Systematic review and economic evaluation of clinical decision rules for minor head injury (NIHR HTA)
• Systematic review of early awareness campaigns for colorectal cancer (EEPRU)
• Rapid Review of the health and wellbeing effects of Yoga (consultancy)
• Mapping review of the health benefits of urban green spaces (feasibility study for Sheffield City Council)
- Harnan SE, Cooper K, Jones SL & Jones E (2015) Pruning and prioritising: a case study of a pragmatic method for managing a rapid systematic review with limited resources. Evidence & Policy A Journal of Research Debate and Practice, 11(4), 589-601(13). View this article in WRRO
- Harnan SE, Tappenden P, Essat M, Gomersall T, Minton J, Wong R, Pavord I, Everard M & Lawson R (2015) Measurement of exhaled nitric oxide concentration in asthma: a systematic review and economic evaluation of NIOX MINO, NIOX VERO and NObreath.. Health Technology Assessment, 19(82), 1-330. View this article in WRRO
- Tappenden P, Harnan S, Uttley L, Mildred M, Carroll C & Cantrell A (2013) Colistimethate sodium powder and tobramycin powder for inhalation for the treatment of chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infection in cystic fibrosis: systematic review and economic model.. Health Technol Assess, 17(56), v-181.
- Stevens JW, Simpson E, Harnan S, Squires H, Meng Y, Thomas S, Michaels J & Stansby G (2012) Systematic review of the efficacy of cilostazol, naftidrofuryl oxalate and pentoxifylline for the treatment of intermittent claudication. British Journal of Surgery, 99(12), 1630-1638.
- Harnan SE, Cooper KL, Meng Y, Ward SE, Fitzgerald P, Papaioannou D, Ingram C, Lorenz E, Wilkinson ID & Wyld L (2011) Magnetic resonance for assessment of axillary lymph node status in early breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. Eur J Surg Oncol, 37(11), 928-936.
- Pandor A, Goodacre S, Harnan S, Holmes M, Pickering A, Fitzgerald P, Rees A & Stevenson M (2011) Diagnostic management strategies for adults and children with minor head injury: a systematic review and an economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 15(27), 1-202.
- Harnan SE, Pickering A, Pandor A & Goodacre SW (2011) Clinical decision rules for adults with minor head injury: a systematic review.. J Trauma, 71(1), 245-251.
- Cooper KL, Harnan S, Meng Y, Ward SE, Fitzgerald P, Papaioannou D, Wyld L, Ingram C, Wilkinson ID & Lorenz E (2011) Positron emission tomography (PET) for assessment of axillary lymph node status in early breast cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.. Eur J Surg Oncol, 37(3), 187-198.
- Cooper KL, Meng Y, Harnan S, Ward SE, Fitzgerald P, Papaioannou D, Wyld L, Ingram C, Wilkinson ID & Lorenz E (2011) Positron emission tomography (PET) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the assessment of axillary lymph node metastases in early breast cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 15(4), iii-134.
- Pickering A, Harnan S, Fitzgerald P, Pandor A & Goodacre S (2011) Clinical decision rules for children with minor head injury: A systematic review. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 96(5), 414-421.
Conference proceedings papers
- Harnan SE, Jorgensen A, Tsuchiya A, Goyder L & Woods HB (2011) TOWARDS COST-EFFECTIVENESS ANALYSIS OF THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING BENEFITS OF URBAN GREEN SPACE: A MAPPING REVIEW. VALUE IN HEALTH, Vol. 14(7) (pp A343-A343)