Mónica Hernández Alava
Reader in Health Econometrics
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0736
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR from the Department of Economics in August 2009. Previously I was a lecturer in the Department of Economics at the University of Birmingham. I obtained a PhD, MSc in Economics and BSc in Business Economics from the University of Leicester. I am also a research associate at the Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex.
My main research interests lie in microeconometrics, the analysis of micro level data on the economic behaviour of individuals. I am also interested in more general model and methods development to analyse individual level data showing nonstandard characteristics. Recent examples include analysis of health state utility data, the economics of illicit behaviour, the dynamics of children developmental outcomes and applications to individuals’ decisions to participate in welfare programmes.
I am interested in supervising research students in a broad range of topics in the area of microeconometric analysis.
Visiting research associate at the Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex.
Understanding Society’s Biomarker Data Project Fellowship
- Hernandez-Alava M & Pudney S (2017) Econometric modelling of multiple self-reports of health states: The switch from EQ-5D-3L to EQ-5D-5L in evaluating drug therapies for rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Health Economics, 55, 139-152. View this article in WRRO
- Hernandez-Alava M & Popli G (2017) Children’s Development and Parental Input: Evidence From the UK Millennium Cohort Study. Demography, 54(2), 485-511. View this article in WRRO
- Wailoo AJ, hernandez M, manca A, mejia A, Ray J, crawford B, botteman M & busschbach J (2017) Mapping to Estimate Health-State Utility from Non–Preference-Based Outcome Measures: An ISPOR Good Practices for Outcomes Research Task Force Report. Value in Health, 20(1), 18-27. View this article in WRRO
- Wailoo A, Hernández M, Philips C, Brophy S & Siebert S (2015) Modeling Health State Utility Values in Ankylosing Spondylitis: Comparisons of Direct and Indirect Methods. Value in Health, 18(4), 425-431.
- Hernández Alava M, Wailoo A, Wolfe F & Michaud K (2014) A comparison of direct and indirect methods for the estimation of health utilities from clinical outcomes.. Med Decis Making, 34(7), 919-930.
- Hernández Alava M, Wailoo A, Wolfe F & Michaud K (2013) The relationship between EQ-5D, HAQ and pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.. Rheumatology (Oxford), 52(5), 944-950. View this article in WRRO
- Alava MH, Brazier J, Rowen D & Tsuchiya A (2013) Common scale valuations across different preference-based measures: estimation using rank data.. Med Decis Making, 33(6), 839-852.
- Hernández Alava M, Wailoo AJ & Ara R (2012) Tails from the peak district: adjusted limited dependent variable mixture models of EQ-5D questionnaire health state utility values.. Value Health, 15(3), 550-561.
- Hernandez Alava M & Wailoo A () Fitting adjusted limited dependent variable mixture models to EQ-5D. The Stata Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Gibson LA, Hernandez M, Kelly MP & Campbell MJ (2015) The effects of breastfeeding on childhood BMI: a propensity score matching approach. Health Economics & Decision Science (HEDS) Discussion Paper Series. View this article in WRRO