Abdullah Pandor BSc Hons. (Oxford Brookes), MSc (Aberdeen)
Senior Research Fellow
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0778
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I obtained my first degree in Nutrition & Food Science from Oxford Brookes University and my MSc in Human Nutrition and Metabolism from the University of Aberdeen.
I joined ScHARR in 1999 as a systematic reviewer and have undertaken literature reviews on various topics including: newborn screening for inborn errors of metabolism, statins for the prevention of cardiovascular events, ezetimibe for the treatment of hypercholesterolaemia and diagnostic management strategies for adults and children with minor head injury.
In 2011, I became the Deputy Director of the ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG). ScHARR-TAG undertakes reviews of the clinical and cost effectiveness of health care interventions for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). Health Technology Assessment Programme on behalf of a range of policy makers, including the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).
My research interests are:
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of evidence for clinical effectiveness
- Application and development of methods for the systematic review and synthesis of diagnostic evaluations in the field of health services research
- Network meta-analysis (indirect and mixed treatment comparisons)
My teaching interests are:
- Systematic reviews and critical appraisal techniques
I am the module coordinator for the Health Research Methods module on MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/prospective_students/masters/hedm and joint module coordinator for the Systematic Reviews and Evidence Synthesis Principles module on the MSc in International Health Technology Assessment, Pricing and Reimbursement. http://www.shef.ac.uk/scharr/prospective_students/masters/ihtapr/index
- Member of Health Technology Assessment international (HTAi)
- Member of the Society for Social Medicine (SSM)
- Member of the European Public Health Association (EUPHA)
- Member of InterTASC, a collaboration of nine universities undertaking technology assessments
- Member of the Cochrane Screening and Diagnostic Test Methods and Cochrane Prognosis Methods Group
I am currently working on the following projects:
- Pre-hospital non-invasive ventilation for acute respiratory failure: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness evaluation (Health Technology Assessment)
- Eculizumab for treating atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (NICE Highly Specialised Technology Evaluation)
- Rivaroxaban for the prevention of adverse outcomes in patients after the acute management of acute coronary syndrome (NICE Single Technology Appraisal)
- Stevenson M, Pandor A, Martyn-St James M, Rafia R, Uttley L, Stevens J, Sanderson J, Wong R, Perkins GD, McMullan R & Dark P (2016) Sepsis: the LightCycler SeptiFast Test MGRADE®, SepsiTest™ and IRIDICA BAC BSI assay for rapidly identifying bloodstream bacteria and fungi - a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 20(46), 1-246. View this article in WRRO
- Pandor A, Thokala P, Goodacre S, Poku E, Stevens JW, Ren S, Cantrell A, Perkins GD, Ward M & Penn-Ashman J (2015) Pre-hospital non-invasive ventilation for acute respiratory failure: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 19(42), 1-102. View this article in WRRO
- Pandor A, Kaltenthaler E, Higgins A, Lorimer K, Smith S, Wylie K & Wong R (2015) Sexual health risk reduction interventions for people with severe mental illness: a systematic review. BMC Public Health, 15(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ward S, Scope A, Rafia R, Pandor A, Harnan S, Evans P & Wyld L (2013) Gene expression profiling and expanded immunohistochemistry tests to guide the use of adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer management: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis.. Health Technol Assess, 17(44), 1-302. View this article in WRRO
- Pandor A, Gomersall T, Stevens JW, Wang J, Al-Mohammad A, Bakhai A, Cleland JGF, Cowie MR & Wong R (2013) Remote monitoring after recent hospital discharge in patients with heart failure: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Heart, 99(23), 1717-1726.
- Thokala P, Baalbaki H, Brennan A, Pandor A, Stevens JW, Gomersall T, Wang J, Bakhai A, Al-Mohammad A, Cleland J, Cowie MR & Wong R (2013) Telemonitoring after discharge from hospital with heart failure: cost-effectiveness modelling of alternative service designs.. BMJ Open, 3(9), e003250. View this article in WRRO
- Pandor A, Harnan S, Goodacre S, Pickering A, Fitzgerald P & Rees A (2012) Diagnostic accuracy of clinical characteristics for identifying CT abnormality after minor brain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. J Neurotrauma, 29(5), 707-718.
- Pandor A, Goodacre S, Harnan S, Holmes M, Pickering A, Fitzgerald P, Rees A & Stevenson M (2011) Diagnostic management strategies for adults and children with minor head injury: a systematic review and an economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 15(27), 1-202.
- Pandor A, Ara RM, Tumur I, Wilkinson AJ, Paisley S, Duenas A, Durrington PN & Chilcott J (2009) Ezetimibe monotherapy for cholesterol lowering in 2,722 people: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.. J Intern Med, 265(5), 568-580.
- Ward S, Lloyd Jones M, Pandor A, Holmes M, Ara R, Ryan A, Yeo W & Payne N (2007) A systematic review and economic evaluation of statins for the prevention of coronary events.. Health Technol Assess, 11(14), 1-iv.
- Pandor A, Eastham J, Beverley C, Chilcott J & Paisley S (2004) Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of neonatal screening for inborn errors of metabolism using tandem mass spectrometry: a systematic review. HEALTH TECHNOL ASSES, 8(12), 1-+.