Dr Philip Powell BA (Hons) Sussex, PhD Sheffield
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Office: 106, West Court
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 0794
I joined ScHARR (HEDS) as Research Fellow (80% FTE) in November 2017, and I am also Research Fellow (20% FTE) in the Department of Economics, where I have been employed since December 2013. Prior to this, I completed a mixed-methods PhD in Psychology at the University of Sheffield in 2013 on the role of self-directed disgust in depression. I have also held applied roles in special education and the civil service.
I am a mixed-methods researcher, with experience in qualitative, survey, and experimental research methods. My current research interests include:
- Wellbeing and health-related quality of life, incorporating patient reported outcome measures (PROMS)
- The role of emotions and emotion regulation in health and mental health outcomes, and in economic, medical, and health decision-making
- The associations between digital technology use and psychological wellbeing
I am currently working across a number of projects in ScHARR HEDS that focus on health-related quality of life and patient reported outcome measurement, these include:
- The development of a preference-based measure of health-related quality of life in people with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD), as part of Project Hercules
- Evaluating how patients, clinicians, and policymakers value service quality and outcomes of mental healthcare, as part of a Health Foundation funded project on the efficiency, cost and quality of mental healthcare provision
- Exploring the differences between hypothetical and experienced health state valuations funded by the EuroQol Research Foundation
- Overton PG, Powell PA & Simpson J (2015) The Revolting Self Perspectives on the Psychological, Social, and Clinical Implications of Self-Directed Disgust. Karnac Books.
- Gibbs N, Powell PA & Tsuchiya A (2019) Equal access for equal need: Eliciting public preferences for access to health treatment by employment status. Social Science & Medicine, 222, 246-255. View this article in WRRO
- Burden N, Simpson J, Murray C, Overton PG & Powell P (2018) Prosthesis use is associated with reduced physical self-disgust in limb amputees. Body Image, 27, 109-117. View this article in WRRO
- Ypsilanti A, Lazuras L, Powell P & Overton PG (2018) Self-disgust as a potential mechanism explaining the association between loneliness and depression. Journal of Affective Disorders, 243, 108-115. View this article in WRRO
- Lazuras L, Ypsilianti A, Powell P & Overton PG (2018) The roles of impulsivity, self-regulation, and emotion regulation in the experience of self-disgust. Motivation and Emotion. View this article in WRRO
- Powell PA, Wills O, Reynolds G, Puustinen-Hooper K & Roberts J (2018) The effects of exposure to images of others' suffering and vulnerability on altruistic, trust-based, and reciprocated economic decision-making. PLoS ONE, 13(3). View this article in WRRO
- Powell PA (2018) Individual Differences in Emotion Regulation Moderate the Associations between Empathy and Affective Distress. Motivation and Emotion. View this article in WRRO
- Powell PA, Roberts J, Puustinen-Hopper K, de Jode M & Mavros P (2018) Heart versus Head: Differential Bodily Feedback Causally Alters Economic Decision-making. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- Azlan HA, Overton PG, Simpson J & Powell PA (2017) Effect of Partners' Disgust Responses on Psychological Wellbeing in Cancer Patients.. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 23(3-4), 355-364. View this article in WRRO
- Powell PA & Roberts J (2017) Situational determinants of cognitive, affective, and compassionate empathy in naturalistic digital interactions. Computers in Human Behavior, 68, 137-148. View this article in WRRO
- Azlan HA, Overton PG, Simpson J & Powell PA (2016) Differential disgust responding in people with cancer and implications for psychological wellbeing. Psychology and Health, 32(1), 19-37. View this article in WRRO
- Powell PA, Azlan HA, Simpson J & Overton PG (2016) The effect of disgust-related side-effects on symptoms of depression and anxiety in people treated for cancer: a moderated mediation model. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 39(4), 560-573. View this article in WRRO
- Powell PA, Simpson J & Overton PG (2015) Self-affirming trait kindness regulates disgust toward one's physical appearance. Body Image, 12, 98-107.
- Powell PA, Overton PG & Simpson J (2014) The Revolting Self: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis of the Experience of Self‐Disgust in Females With Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 70(6), 562-578.
- Powell PA, Simpson J & Overton PG (2013) When disgust leads to dysphoria: A three-wave longitudinal study assessing the temporal relationship between self-disgust and depressive symptoms. Cognition & Emotion, 27(5), 900-913.
- Powell PA, Carlton J, Rowen D & Brazier J () Producing a preference-based quality of life measure for people with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: A mixed-methods study protocol. BMJ Open. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Powell PA, Carlton J, Rowen D & Brazier JE (2018) PSY215 - MEASURING QUALITY OF LIFE FOR ECONOMIC EVALUATION IN DUCHENNE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY (DMD) FROM CHILDHOOD TO ADULTHOOD: PROTOCOL FOR A NEW PREFERENCE-BASED MEASURE. Value in Health, Vol. 21 (pp s473)
- Powell P, McDool E, Roberts J & Taylor K (2018) Social media use and happiness with aspects of life in young people. QUALITY OF LIFE RESEARCH, Vol. 27 (pp S29-S29)
- Powell P, Carlton J, Rowen D, Uttley L, Buckley-Woods H & Brazier J (2018) Quality of life in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD): initial findings and protocol for a new preference-based measure. QUALITY OF LIFE RESEARCH, Vol. 27 (pp S170-S170)
- de Jode M, Hudson-Smith A, Mavros P, Coulton P, Huck J, Roberts J & Powell P (2015) Showing mutual support through digital empathy badges (pp 1-4)
- Huck J, Coulton P, Gullick D, Powell P, Roberts J, Hudson-Smith A, De-Jode M & Mavros P (2015) Supporting Empathy Through Embodiment in the Design of Interactive Systems (pp 523-528)
- Huck J, Coulton P, Gradinar A, Powell P, Roberts J, Hudson-Smith A, De-Jode M & Mavros P (2014) Designing for empathy in a church community (pp 249-251)
- Coulton P, Huck J, Hudson-Smith A, Barthel R, Mavros P, Roberts J & Powell P (2014) Designing interactive systems to encourage empathy between users (pp 13-16)
- (2013) Guest Editors: Holger Schmid and Bruno Quintard. Psychology and Health, Vol. 28(sup1) (pp 1-344)
- Powell P, Carlton J, Woods H & Mazzone P (2019) Patient reported outcome measures of quality of life in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD): a systematic review of content and structural validity using COSMIN. HEDS Discussion Paper Series.
- McDool EM, Powell P, Roberts J & taylor K (2016) Social Media Use and Children’s Wellbeing. Sheffield Economics Research Papers (SERPS), 2016011. View this article in WRRO