Professor Matt Stevenson PhD (Lancaster), BSc (Lancaster)
Professor of Health Technology Assessment
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0691
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I graduated with a PhD in Operational Research from Lancaster University. I am a Member of NICE Technology Appraisal Committee C and the NICE Diagnostic Advisory Committee. I have led numerous projects for NICE and the NIHR Evaluation, Trials and Studies Coordinating Centre (NETSCC). I am the Director of ScHARR-TAG.
- My research interests are discrete event simulation, individual patient modelling and mathematical modelling within health technology assessment
- I am co-module leader for the advanced simulation module on the Health Economic and Decision Science MSc
- I am an active PhD supervisor (5 current PhD students)
- I am a Member of NICE Appraisal Committee C
- I am a Member of NICE Diagnostic Advisory Committee
- I am a Member of the Centre for Bayesian Statistics in Health Economics
- I have over 50 peer reviewed publications with approximately 20 as primary author (see Full List of Publications in Downloads)
Matt Stevenson is based in Health Economics and Decision Science (HEDS)
- Stevenson MD, Wailoo AJ, Tosh JC, Hernandez-Alava M, Gibson LA, Stevens JW, Archer RJ, Simpson EL, Hock ES, Young A & Scott DL (2017) The Cost-effectiveness of Sequences of Biological Disease-modifying Antirheumatic Drug Treatment in England for Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis Who Can Tolerate Methotrexate. Journal of Rheumatology. View this article in WRRO
- Stevenson M, Pandor A, Martyn-St James M, Rafia R, Uttley L, Stevens J, Sanderson J, Wong R, Perkins GD, McMullan R & Dark P (2016) Sepsis: the LightCycler SeptiFast Test MGRADE®, SepsiTest™ and IRIDICA BAC BSI assay for rapidly identifying bloodstream bacteria and fungi - a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 20(46), 1-246. View this article in WRRO
- Stevenson M, Archer R, Tosh J, Simpson E, Everson-Hock E, Stevens J, Hernandez-Alava M, Paisley S, Dickinson K, Scott D, Young A & Wailoo A (2016) Adalimumab, etanercept, infliximab, certolizumab pegol, golimumab, tocilizumab and abatacept for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis not previously treated with disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs and after the failure of conventional disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs only: systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 20(35), 1-610. View this article in WRRO
- Stevenson M, Gomersall T, Lloyd Jones M, Rawdin A, Hernández M, Dias S, Wilson D & Rees A (2014) Percutaneous vertebroplasty and percutaneous balloon kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis.. Health Technol Assess, 18(17), 1-290.
- Bates SM, Jaeschke R, Stevens SM, Goodacre S, Wells PS, Stevenson MD, Kearon C, Schunemann HJ, Crowther M, Pauker SG, Makdissi R & Guyatt GH (2012) Diagnosis of DVT: Antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest, 141(2 SUPPL.).
- Cooper KL, Madan J, Whyte S, Stevenson MD & Akehurst RL (2011) Granulocyte colony-stimulating factors for febrile neutropenia prophylaxis following chemotherapy: Systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Cancer, 11. View this article in WRRO
- Michaels JA, Campbell B, King B, Palfreyman SJ, Shackley P & Stevenson M (2009) Randomized controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis of silver-donating antimicrobial dressings for venous leg ulcers (VULCAN trial).. Br J Surg, 96(10), 1147-1156.
- Stevenson M, Lloyd-Jones M & Papaioannou D (2009) Vitamin K to prevent fractures in older women: Systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 13(45).
- Sutton AJ, Cooper NJ, Goodacre S & Stevenson M (2008) Integration of meta-analysis and economic decision modeling for evaluating diagnostic tests. MED DECIS MAKING, 28(5), 650-667.
- O'Hagan A, Stevenson M & Madan J (2007) Monte Carlo probabilistic sensitivity analysis for patient level simulation models: efficient estimation of mean and variance using ANOVA.. Health Econ, 16(10), 1009-1023.
- Kanis JA, Stevenson M, McCloskey EV, Davis S & Lloyd-Jones M (2007) Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: a systematic review and cost-utility analysis. HEALTH TECHNOL ASSES, 11(7), 1-+.
- Stevenson M, Davis S, Lloyd-Jones M & Beverley C (2007) The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of strontium ranelate for the prevention of osteoporotic fragility fractures in postmenopausal women.. Health Technol Assess, 11(4), 1-134.
- Goodacre S, Sampson F, Stevenson M, Wailoo A, Sutton A, Thomas S, Locker T & Ryan A (2006) Measurement of the clinical and cost-effectiveness of non-invasive diagnostic testing strategies for deep vein thrombosis.. Health Technol Assess, 10(15), 1-iv.
- Wardlaw JM, Chappell FM, Stevenson M, De Nigris E, Thomas S, Gillard J, Berry E, Young G, Rothwell P, Roditi G, Gough M, Brennan A, Bamford J & Best J (2006) Accurate, practical and cost-effective assessment of carotid stenosis in the UK. Health Technology Assessment, 10(30). View this article in WRRO
- Stevenson M, Jones ML, De Nigris E, Brewer N, Davis S & Oakley J (2005) A systematic review and economic evaluation of alendronate, etidronate, risedronate, raloxifene and teriparatide for the prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.. Health Technol Assess, 9(22), 1-160. View this article in WRRO
- Stevenson MD, Oakley J & Chilcott JB (2004) Gaussian process modeling in conjunction with individual patient simulation modeling: a case study describing the calculation of cost-effectiveness ratios for the treatment of established osteoporosis.. Med Decis Making, 24(1), 89-100.
- Kanis JA, Brazier JE, Stevenson M, Calvert NW & Jones ML (2002) Treatment of established osteoporosis: A systematic review and cost-utility analysis. Health Technology Assessment, 6(29). View this article in WRRO
- Fuller GW, Hernandez M, Pallott D, Lecky F, Stevenson M & Gabbe B () Health State Preference Weights for the Glasgow Outcome Scale Following Traumatic Brain Injury: A Systematic Review and Mapping Study. Value in Health. View this article in WRRO