Professor Allan Wailoo BSc, MA, MSc, PhD
Professor of Health Economics & Director of NICE Decision Support Unit
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel:(+44) (0)114 222 0729
Fax:(+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR in 2000 having previously worked at the University of Leicester and was awarded a Personal Chair in 2012. I am Director of the NICE Decision Support Unit and a member of the Research Design Service for Yorkshire and the Humber. I have Masters and PhD degrees in Economics and recently completed a Masters in Probability and Statistics at the University of Sheffield.
- Economic evaluation including alongside clinical trials and decision modelling
- Analysis of patient level data, particularly around health utilities
- Social values and decision making, including equity and procedural preferences
I lead the "Health Economics" module for the MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling and teach on various other modules of the same course.
I am a supervisor to the following PhD students; Chris Skedgel, Koonal Shah, Armando Vargas-Palacios. I am interested in supervising research students in a broad range of topics around economic evaluation, but particularly in relation to statistical methods and decision modelling.
- Director of the NICE Decision Support Unit
- Member of the NICE Medical Technologies Appraisal Committee (MTAC)
- Sub Panel Member of the NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research
- Wailoo A, Hernández M, Philips C, Brophy S & Siebert S (2015) Modeling Health State Utility Values in Ankylosing Spondylitis: Comparisons of Direct and Indirect Methods. Value in Health, 18(4), 425-431.
- Skedgel C, Wailoo A & Akehurst R (2015) Societal Preferences for Distributive Justice in the Allocation of Health Care Resources. Medical Decision Making, 35(1), 94-105.
- Skedgel CD, Wailoo AJ & Akehurst RL (2015) Choosing vs. allocating: discrete choice experiments and constant-sum paired comparisons for the elicitation of societal preferences.. Health Expect, 18(5), 1227-1240. View this article in WRRO
- Hernández Alava M, Wailoo A, Wolfe F & Michaud K (2014) A comparison of direct and indirect methods for the estimation of health utilities from clinical outcomes.. Med Decis Making, 34(7), 919-930.
- Wailoo A, Hernández Alava M, Scott IC, Ibrahim F & Scott DL (2014) Cost-effectiveness of treatment strategies using combination disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs and glucocorticoids in early rheumatoid arthritis.. Rheumatology (Oxford), 53(10), 1773-1777.
- Wailoo A, Hernandez Alava M & Escobar Martinez A (2014) Modelling the relationship between the WOMAC Osteoarthritis Index and EQ-5D.. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 12, 37. View this article in WRRO
- Hernández Alava M, Wailoo A, Wolfe F & Michaud K (2013) The relationship between EQ-5D, HAQ and pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.. Rheumatology (Oxford), 52(5), 944-950. View this article in WRRO
- Hernández Alava M, Wailoo AJ & Ara R (2012) Tails from the peak district: adjusted limited dependent variable mixture models of EQ-5D questionnaire health state utility values.. Value Health, 15(3), 550-561.
- Wailoo A, Goodacre S, Sampson F, Alava MH, Asseburg C, Palmer S, Sculpher M, Abrams K, de Belder M & Gray H (2010) Primary angioplasty versus thrombolysis for acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction: an economic analysis of the National Infarct Angioplasty project.. Heart, 96(9), 668-672.
- Wailoo AJ, Bansback N, Brennan A, Michaud K, Nixon RM & Wolfe F (2008) Biologic drugs for rheumatoid arthritis in the Medicare program: a cost-effectiveness analysis.. Arthritis Rheum, 58(4), 939-946.
- Wailoo AJ, Sutton AJ, Cooper NJ, Turner DA, Abrams KR, Brennan A & Nicholson KG (2008) Cost-effectiveness and value of information analyses of neuraminidase inhibitors for the treatment of influenza.. Value Health, 11(2), 160-171.