Dr Sophie Whyte MMath (Warwick), PhD (Birmingham)
Senior Research Fellow
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0859
Fax: (+44) (0)114 2220749
I joined the HEDS section of ScHARR as a mathematical modeller in September 2007. Previous to this, I obtained a Masters in Mathematics from the University of Warwick and a PhD in Pure Mathematics (Group Theory) from Birmingham University.
My broad research is focused on mathematical modelling within health economics. I have gained significant expertise and experience in two related areas:
- Bayesian calibration of cancer natural history models: This is my main methodological research theme, please see MDM publication http://mdm.sagepub.com/content/31/4/625 and Example Excel model using the Metropolis Hastings algorithm to calibrate a state transition model available to down load from the Downloads box)
- Early diagnosis of bowel cancer: I have substantial experience in early diagnosis of cancer generally having worked on more than 15 projects in this area of applied research. My main expertise lies in the modelling bowel cancer screening to inform national bowel cancer screening policy.
In addition to these main research themes I have undertaken research to inform policy making: Health Technology Assessment (HTA) for NICE (https://www.shef.ac.uk/scharr/sections/heds/collaborations/tag) , and research as part of the Policy Research Unit in Economic Evaluation of Health and Care Interventions (EEPRU) for DH (http://www.eepru.org.uk/)
I am module lead for the Dissertation on the MSc in Health Economics and Decision Modelling.
If you are interested in pursuing a PhD which may fit with my research areas described above please contact me regarding PhD supervision.
- Asaria M, Griffin S, Cookson R, Whyte S & Tappenden P (2015) Distributional Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Health Care Programmes - A Methodological Case Study of the UK Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. Health Economics, 24(6), 742-754.
- Kearns B, Whyte S, Chilcott J & Patnick J (2014) Guaiac faecal occult blood test performance at initial and repeat screens in the English Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. British Journal of Cancer, 111(9), 1734-1741. View this article in WRRO
- Whyte S & Harnan S (2014) Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of an awareness campaign for colorectal cancer: a mathematical modeling study.. Cancer Causes Control, 25(6), 647-658. View this article in WRRO
- Whyte S, Pandor A & Stevenson M (2012) Bevacizumab for metastatic colorectal cancer: a NICE single technology appraisal.. Pharmacoeconomics, 30(12), 1119-1132.
- Whyte S, Chilcott J & Halloran S (2012) Reappraisal of the options for colorectal cancer screening in England.. Colorectal Dis, 14(9), e547-e561.
- Sharp L, Tilson L, Whyte S, O'Ceilleachair A, Walsh C, Usher C, Tappenden P, Chilcott J, Staines A, Barry M & Comber H (2012) Cost-effectiveness of population-based screening for colorectal cancer: a comparison of guaiac-based faecal occult blood testing, faecal immunochemical testing and flexible sigmoidoscopy.. Br J Cancer, 106(5), 805-816. View this article in WRRO
- Madan J, Stevenson MD, Cooper KL, Ades AE, Whyte S & Akehurst R (2011) Consistency between direct and indirect trial evidence: is direct evidence always more reliable?. Value Health, 14(6), 953-960. View this article in WRRO
- Whyte S, Cooper KL, Stevenson MD, Madan J & Akehurst R (2011) Cost-effectiveness of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor prophylaxis for febrile neutropenia in breast cancer in the United Kingdom.. Value Health, 14(4), 465-474.
- Whyte S, Pandor A, Stevenson M & Rees A (2010) Bevacizumab in combination with fluoropyrimidine-based chemotherapy for the first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer.. Health Technol Assess, 14(Suppl. 2), 47-53. View this article in WRRO
- Whyte S, Walsh C, Sharp L, O'Ceilleachair A, Tilson L, Usher C, Chilcott J, Tappenden P, Staines A, Comber H & Barry M (2009) BAYESIAN CALIBRATION OF A NATURAL HISTORY MODEL FOR COLORECTAL CANCER. VALUE HEALTH, 12(7), A395-A395.
- Whyte S, Chilcott J, Essat M, Stevens J, Wong R & Kalita N (2011) Reappraisal of the options for colorectal cancer screening View this article in WRRO