Professor Steve Goodacre MB, ChB, MRCP, DipIMC, FRCEM, MSc, PhD
Room: 3023 Regent Court
I am a clinical academic in emergency medicine and researcher in emergency care. I am a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Senior Investigator, Deputy Programme Director for the NIHR Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Programme and Chair of the HTA Commissioning Committee.
My research interests are clinical trials in emergency medicine, economic analysis, the organisation of emergency care and methods for evaluating the quality of emergency care.
My teaching interests are critical appraisal of the scientific literature, promoting evidence-based health care, advanced trauma life support (ATLS) and diagnostic pathways in emergency medicine.
I am interested in supervising students undertaking research in emergency care, such as evaluation of health technologies, changes to service delivery, methods to improve decision-making and methods for evaluating the quality of emergency care.
NIHR Senior Investigator
Deputy Programme Director, NIHR HTA Programme
Chair, NIHR HTA Commissioning Committee
Chair, NIHR Clinical Trials Unit Standing Advisory Committee
Senior Associate Editor, Annals of Emergency Medicine
ScHARR Director of Research
Current and Recent Projects
The VTEAM study: Venous Thromboembolism risk Assessment Models for hospital inpatients. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £548,794, June 2019 to May 2021.
The PHEWS study: Pre-Hospital Early Warning for Sepsis. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £561,164, June 2019 to May 2021.
SPQR: Safety for Patients through Quality Review. Funded by the NIHR Policy Research Programme, £551,743, June 2027 to May 2020.
The TiLLI study: Thromboprophylaxis for lower limb immobilisation. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £181,690, April 2017 to May 2018.
DiPEP: Diagnosis of Pulmonary Embolism in Pregnancy. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £688,196, October 2014 to March 2017.
The PAINTED study: Pandemic Influenza Triage in the Emergency Department. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £151,174, in hibernation (awaiting pandemic).
TARGET-CTCA: Troponin in Acute chest pain to Risk stratify and Guide EffecTive use of Computed Tomography Coronary Angiography. Funded by the British Heart Foundation, £1,115,723, August 2018 to July 2023.
TIME: Take home naloxone Intervention Multi centre Emergency setting feasibility trial. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £563,734, January 2018 to June 2020.
Comparative Effectiveness of Early Diagnostic and Disposition Strategies for Suspected ACS. Funded by the US National Institute for Health, $3,132,749, August 2017 to May 2021.
DEUCE: Drivers of Demand for Emergency and Urgent CarE. Funded by the NIHR Health Service & Delivery Research Programme, £708,286, February 2017 to December 2019.
ACUTE: Ambulance CPAP: Use, Treatment effect and Economics. Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme, £482,800, July 2016 to November 2019.
EDARA: Evaluating the Diversion of Alcohol-Related Attendances. Chief Investigator Simon Moore (University of Cardiff). Funded by the NIHR Health Services & Delivery Research R&D programme, £739,381January 2016 to June 2018.
SAFE: Seizure first Aid training For Epilepsy . Chief Investigator Adam Noble (University of Liverpool). Funded by the NIHR Health Service & Delivery R&D Programme, £424,127, June 2015 to April 2019.
The RAPID-CTCA trial: Rapid Assessment of Potential Ischaemic Heart Disease with CT coronary angiography. Chief Investigator Alasdair Gray (Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh). Funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment R&D Programme, £2,058,508, January 2015 to December 2019.
Steve is based in the section of Health Services Research
Address: Health Services Research, School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), University of Sheffield, Regent Court, 30 Regent Street, Sheffield S1 4DA
Contact Number: 0114 222 0834 Contact Fax: 0114222 0749
- Shenkin SD, Fox C, Godfrey M, Siddiqi N, Goodacre S, Young J, Anand A, Gray A, Hanley J, MacRaild A , Steven J et al (2019) Delirium detection in older acute medical inpatients : a multicentre prospective comparative diagnostic test accuracy study of the 4AT and the confusion assessment method. BMC Medicine, 17(1). View this article in WRRO
- Davis S, Goodacre S, Pandor A, Horner D, Stevens JW, Wit K & Hunt BJ (2019) Decision‐analysis modelling of the effects of thromboprophylaxis for people with lower limb immobilisation for injury. British Journal of Haematology, 186(1), 166-168. View this article in WRRO
- Sampson FC, Goodacre SW & O'Cathain A (2019) The Reality of Pain Scoring in the Emergency Department: Findings From a Multiple Case Study Design.. Annals of Emergency Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Goodacre S, Horspool K, Nelson-Piercy C, Knight M, Shephard N, Lecky F, Thomas S, Hunt BJ & Fuller G (2019) The DiPEP study: an observational study of the diagnostic accuracy of clinical assessment, D-dimer and chest x-ray for suspected pulmonary embolism in pregnancy and postpartum. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 126(3), 383-392. View this article in WRRO
- Horner D, Pandor A, Goodacre S, Clowes M & Hunt BJ (2018) Individual risk factors predictive of venous thromboembolism in patients with temporary lower limb immobilisation due to injury: a systematic review.. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. View this article in WRRO
- Fletcher A, Coster J & Goodacre S (2018) Impact of the new medical examiner role on patient safety. BMJ, 363. View this article in WRRO
- Goodacre S, Horspool K, Shephard N, Pollard D, Hunt BJ, Fuller G, Nelson-Piercy C, Knight M, Thomas S, Lecky F & Cohen J (2018) Selecting pregnant or postpartum women with suspected pulmonary embolism for diagnostic imaging: the DiPEP diagnostic study with decision-analysis modelling.. Health Technology Assessment, 22(47). View this article in WRRO
- Hunt BJ, Parmar K, Horspool K, Shephard N, Nelson-Piercy C & Goodacre S (2018) The DiPEP (Diagnosis of PE in Pregnancy) biomarker study: An observational cohort study augmented with additional cases to determine the diagnostic utility of biomarkers for suspected venous thromboembolism during pregnancy and puerperium. British Journal of Haematology, 180(5), 694-704. View this article in WRRO
- Pickering JW, Than MP, Cullen L, Aldous S, Ter Avest E, Body R, Carlton EW, Collinson P, Dupuy AM, Ekelund U , Eggers KM et al (2017) Rapid Rule-out of Acute Myocardial Infarction With a Single High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin T Measurement Below the Limit of Detection: A Collaborative Meta-analysis. Annals of internal medicine, 166(10), 715-724. View this article in WRRO
- Than MP, Pickering JW, Aldous SJ, Cullen L, Frampton CMA, Peacock WF, Jaffe AS, Goodacre SW, Richards AM, Ardagh MW , Deely JM et al (2016) Effectiveness of EDACS Versus ADAPT Accelerated Diagnostic Pathways for Chest Pain: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial Embedded Within Practice. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 68(1), 93-102.e1. View this article in WRRO
- Lipinski MJ, Baker NC, Escárcega RO, Torguson R, Chen F, Aldous SJ, Christ M, Collinson PO, Goodacre SW, Mair J , Inoue K et al (2015) Comparison of conventional and high-sensitivity troponin in patients with chest pain: A collaborative meta-analysis. American Heart Journal, 169(1), 6-16.e6.
- Thokala P, Goodacre S, Ward M, Penn-Ashman J & Perkins GD (2015) Cost-effectiveness of Out-of-Hospital Continuous Positive Airway Pressure for Acute Respiratory Failure. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 65(5), 556-563.e6. View this article in WRRO
- Fretheim A, Zhang F, Ross-Degnan D, Oxman AD, Cheyne H, Foy R, Goodacre S, Herrin J, Kerse N, McKinlay RJ , Wright A et al (2015) A reanalysis of cluster randomized trials showed interrupted time-series studies were valuable in health system evaluation. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 68(3), 324-333.
- Than M, Aldous S, Lord SJ, Goodacre S, Frampton CMA, Troughton R, George P, Florkowski CM, Ardagh M, Smyth D , Jardine DL et al (2014) A 2-hour diagnostic protocol for possible cardiac chest pain in the emergency department: a randomized clinical trial.. JAMA Intern Med, 174(1), 51-58.
- Goodacre S, Cohen J, Bradburn M, Gray A, Benger J & Coats T (2013) Intravenous or nebulised magnesium sulphate versus standard therapy for severe acute asthma (3Mg trial): A double-blind, randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, 1(4), 293-300.
- Thokala P, Goodacre SW, Collinson PO, Stevens JW, Mills NL, Newby DE, Morris F, Kendall J & Stevenson MD (2012) Cost-effectiveness of presentation versus delayed troponin testing for acute myocardial infarction. Heart, 98(20), 1498-1503.
- Goodacre S, Wilson R, Shephard N, Nicholl J & DAVROS Research Team (2012) Derivation and validation of a risk adjustment model for predicting seven day mortality in emergency medical admissions: mixed prospective and retrospective cohort study.. BMJ, 344, e2904. View this article in WRRO
- Goodacre SW, Bradburn M, Cross E, Collinson P, Gray A & Hall AS (2011) The Randomised Assessment of Treatment using Panel Assay of Cardiac Markers (RATPAC) trial: A randomised controlled trial of point-of-care cardiac markers in the emergency department. Heart, 97(3), 190-196.
- Wailoo A, Goodacre S, Sampson F, Alava MH, Asseburg C, Palmer S, Sculpher M, Abrams K, de Belder M & Gray H (2010) Primary angioplasty versus thrombolysis for acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction: an economic analysis of the National Infarct Angioplasty project.. Heart, 96(9), 668-672.
- Gray A, Goodacre S, Newby DE, Masson M, Sampson F, Nicholl J & 3CPO Trialists (2008) Noninvasive ventilation in acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema. NEW ENGL J MED, 359(2), 142-151.
- Goodacre S, Cross E, Lewis C, Nicholl J, Capewell S & ESCAPE Research Team (2007) Effectiveness and safety of chest pain assessment to prevent emergency admissions: ESCAPE cluster randomised trial.. BMJ, 335(7621), 659. View this article in WRRO
- Goodacre S, Sutton AJ & Sampson FC (2005) Meta-analysis: The value of clinical assessment in the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis.. Ann Intern Med, 143(2), 129-139.
- Goodacre S, Nicholl J, Dixon S, Cross E, Angelini K, Arnold J, Revill S, Locker T, Capewell SJ, Quinney D , Campbell S et al (2004) Randomised controlled trial and economic evaluation of a chest pain observation unit compared with routine care.. BMJ, 328(7434), 254. View this article in WRRO