NIHR Clinical Doctoral Research Fellow (Paramedic)
Since qualifying as a paramedic I have enjoyed a diverse range of clinical settings. This includes frontline ambulance work, minor injury units, medical repatriation and specialist cardiac arrest response cars. I joined the University of Sheffield in 2017 and have been mainly investigating ambulance conveyances to the Emergency Department. this has been part of the CLAHRC Y+H Avoiding Attendance and Admission in Long Term Conditions theme. I am the co-module director of Prehospital Emergency Care alongside Dr. Justin Squires. This is part of the MSc Advanced Emergency Care provided by ScHARR. I am currently undertaking an NIHR/HEE Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship into risk prediction modelling of ambulance service conveyances to the Emergency Department.
Tel: 0114 222 6193
Prehospital emergency and urgent care of patients.
Risk prediction modelling in Urgent and Emergency care systems.
Economic modelling in Ambulance Services.
Clinical decision making.
Safety INdEx of Prehospital On Scene Triage (SINEPOST) - Chief Investigator - £218,719
Avoiding acute emergency admissions in palliative patients - Co-investigator - £38,829
Outcome Measures for the Emergency Care of Seizures (OMECS) - Co-investigator - £9,852
- Pilbery R, Miles J & Bell F (2019) A service evaluation of paediatric pain management in an English ambulance service. British Paramedic Journal, 4(2), 37-45.
- Miles J, Coster J & Jacques R (2019) Using vignettes to assess the accuracy and rationale of paramedic decisions on conveyance to the emergency department. British Paramedic Journal, 4(1), 6-13. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Miles JC, Coster J & Jacques R (2018) 62 Thinking on scene: using vignettes to assess the accuracy and rationale of paramedic decision making. BMJ Open, Vol. 2018(8) (pp A23-A24) View this article in WRRO
- Miles J, O’Keeffe C, Jacques R, Stone T & Mason S (2018) 59 Ambulance over-conveyance to the emergency department: a large data analysis of ambulance journeys. BMJ Open, Vol. 8(Suppl 1) (pp a22-a23), 16 April 2018 - 18 April 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Miles J, O’Keeffe C, Jacques R, Stone T & Mason S (2017) 17 Exploring ambulance conveyances to the emergency department: a descriptive analysis of non-urgent transports. Emergency Medicine Journal, Vol. 34(12) (pp A872-A873)