Janette Turner BSc, MSc
Reader in Emergency & Urgent Care Research
Health Services Research
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 2220761
Fax: (+44) (0)114 2220749
I am a Reader in Emergency and Urgent Care Research and have led numerous research studies related to pre-hospital care and the wider urgent care system including policy research that has contributed to ambulance service development in England. Most recently I completed a substantial evidence review on models for delivering urgent care, a programme developing alternative performance and quality indicators for ambulance services, and led the independent evaluation of the NHS England Ambulance Response Programme. I am currently leading an evaluation of the NHS111 online service and involved in a study developing a pre-hospital major trauma triage tool. I am also Section Director for Health Services Research and a member of the ScHARR executive team.
My research interests are evaluation of new services, pre-hospital care and healthcare systems development particularly in emergency and urgent care and policy research.
I act as a personal tutor for postgraduate students, supervise dissertations and supervise PhD research.
- Member of the NHS England Ambulance Response programme Expert Reference Group
- Associate member of the College of Paramedics
- Board member of the 999 EMS Research Forum
- Fellow of the International Academy of Emergency Medical Dispatch
- Member of the National Ambulance Research Steering Group
For a full list of publications see here
- Digital and online symptom checkers and assessment services for urgent care to inform a new digital platform : a systematic review. Health Services and Delivery Research, 7(29), 1-88. View this article in WRRO
- Developing new ways of measuring the quality and impact of ambulance service care: the PhOEBE mixed-methods research programme. Programme Grants for Applied Research, 7(3). View this article in WRRO
- Outcomes for patients who contact the emergency ambulance service and are not transported to the Emergency Department: a data linkage study. Prehospital Emergency Care, 1-27. View this article in WRRO
- Why do ambulance services have different non-transport rates? A national cross sectional study.. PLoS One, 13(9). View this article in WRRO
- Prioritizing novel and existing ambulance performance measures through expert and lay consensus: A three‐stage multimethod consensus study. Health Expectations, 21(1), 249-260. View this article in WRRO
- What evidence is there on the effectiveness of different models of delivering urgent care? A rapid review. Health Services and Delivery Research, 3(43).