Jennifer Read [MSc,BSc]
School of Health and Related Research
University of Sheffield
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 8277
E-mail : email@example.com
I am a clinical research associate and teaching associate within the MCRU. I am specialised in qualitative research and complex mixed methods evaluation and lead the Masters in Clinical Research module ‘practical aspects of clinical research’.
As a state registered Occupational Therapist I have 19 years’ stroke specialist clinical experience (predominantly within Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS foundation Trust) and have active links and roles within the Royal College of Occupational Therapy.
I have a wide and far reaching network of local and national NHS and clinical academics. I am passionate about using these links and networks to develop collaborations between academia and health and social care organisations to improve services and care.
My research interests are:
• Occupational Therapy
• Realistic and complex evaluation
• I teach on the Masters in Clinical Research which aims to equip graduates with the knowledge and skills to pursue a career in clinical research. I lead the practical aspects of clinical research module.
• I supervise Masters dissertations for the MPH and the MClinRes and personal tutor for students on these programmes.
• I have provided undergraduate teaching and research placements for the Medical School and delivered the Research ethics and integrity PhD modules for the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health.
• I provide informal mentorship for Occupational Therapists to develop their research profile and activity, including clinical research fellowship applications.
I am a founding member of the Sheffield Occupational Therapy Clinical Academics (CABOT) group. Member of the Collaboration for Research Neurological Network (CoRN) and an active member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists.
I peer review for many journals and organisations including the NIHR, Royal College of Occupational Therapy and the Stroke Association.
I was vice-chair of the Royal College of Occupational Therapy’s conference development team between 2015 and 2018.
• Teaching associate supporting the Masters in Clinical research programme and leading its ‘practical aspects of clinical research’ module.
• CI on the ViVA challenge project. A Sheffield academic, Health and social care collaborative project exploring the use of remote technology to support hospital discharges and prevent admissions.
• The Sheffield Perfect Patient Pathway Test Bed evaluation
• Macmillan evaluation for the South Tees Integrated Cancer Care programme
• Curriculum Development of the ScHARR MSc in Clinical Research
• Internal evaluation team of the CLAHRC-SY
• Evaluation of the Doncaster Cancer Survivorship Programme
• The CLAHRC-SY Patient Experience of Transient Ischaemic Attacks study
I am based in the section of Health Services Research.
Please follow this link for extended list of publications.
- di bonna L, Read J, Field R, Jones N, Fowler Davis S, Cudd P & Evans L (2018) Weaving a clinical academic career: illuminating the method and pattern to follow. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. View this article in WRRO
- Mazumdar S, Ciravegna F, Ireson N, Read J, Simpson E & Cudd P (2016) Communicating with Citizens on the Ground: A Practical Study. International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, 8(2), 50-69. View this article in WRRO
- Cooke J, Ariss S, Smith C & Read J (2015) On-going collaborative priority-setting for research activity: a method of capacity building to reduce the research-practice translational gap. Health Research Policy and Systems, 13. View this article in WRRO
- Croot E, Ryan A, Read J, Campbell F, O'Cathain A & Venables G (2014) Transient ischaemic attack: a qualitative study of the long term consequences for patients. BMC Family Practice, 1(15), 174-174. View this article in WRRO
- Campbell F, Croot E, Read J, Ryan T & Venables G (2013) PP58 Prevention of Stroke following a TIA – who Receives Care? A descriptive study of Patients Referred to TIA Clinics between 2007-2010 in a NHS Foundation Trust. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 67(Suppl 1), A71.3-A72.
- Read J & Palmer R (2013) A stroke staff training programme involving expert patients: a case study of its impact on staff and service development. International Practice Development Journal, 3(2).
- Croot L, Campbell F, Read J, Ryan T & Venables G (2012) Stroke Prevention: Delivering Personalised Care. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF QUALITATIVE METHODS, 11(5), 773-774.
- Read J, Ross S & Barton J (2009) Staff in service training on post-stroke psychological and communication issues. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation(16), 342-348.
Conference proceedings papers
- Read J, Cudd P, Simpson E, Ciravenga F & Mazumdar S (2017) Digitising the acute service based home assessment. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, Vol. 80 (pp 62-62) View this article in WRRO
- Mazumdar S, Ciravegna F, Ireson N, Read J, Simpson E & Cudd P (2017) Access Visits Using Video Communication. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 102-110) View this article in WRRO
- Read J () A remote home visit? : Exploring the possibilities for therapists. AAATE, 11 September 2017 - 15 June 2017.