Sarah Abdi, MSc, BSc (Hons.)
CATCH Translational Research Assistant
The University of Sheffield
The Innovation Centre
Sheffield S1 4DP
Room: G.08, Ground Floor, The Innovation Centre
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 8278
I have been working as a dietitian in the field of dietetics since 2007. I am specialized in diabetes and weight management and I also have experience in medical nutrition therapy for insulin pump and bariatric surgery. My area of expertise include designing and delivering behavioural lifestyle interventions which incorporate diet, physical activity and technology to improve the quality of life of individuals with chronic diseases. I have publications in the area of diabetes and dietetics and I participated as a speaker and presented posters in medical conferences.
I joined the University of Sheffield in January 2016 as a translational research assistant to work within the Centre for Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare. My current role involves assisting academic and industry partners to plan and deliver research projects that help individuals live well and age well.
Current research projects
- A mobile diagnostic and screening toolkit for urban slum settings [Chief Investigator – Prof. Luc de Witte]
- Emego-EMG switch performance study [Chief investigator- Simon Judge]
- A feasibility study to evaluate the Move More, Eat Well, Measure it (MMEWMIt) intervention as a prevention programme for type 2 diabetes mellitus in people with serious mental illness [NIHR Bid co-applicant, Chief Investigator- Caroline Mitchel]
- Behavioural lifestyle interventions for long term medical conditions
- Bariatric surgery
- Sleep and diabetes
- Alessa T, Abdi S, Hawley MS & de Witte L (2018) Mobile Apps to Support the Self-Management of Hypertension: Systematic Review of Effectiveness, Usability, and User Satisfaction.. JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 6(7), e10723. View this article in WRRO
- Abdi S, Wadugodapitiya A, Bedaf S, George CE, Norman G, Hawley M & De Witte L (2018) Identification of priority health conditions for field-based screening in urban slums in Bangalore, India. BMC Public Health, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Sadiya A, Abdi SQ & Abusnana S (2016) Lifestyle Intervention for weight loss: a group-based program for Emiratis in Ajman, United Arab Emirates. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy, 9. View this article in WRRO
- Abdi S, Sadiya A, Ali S, Varghese S & Abusnana S (2015) Behavioural Lifestyle Intervention Study (BLIS) in patients with type 2 diabetes in the United Arab Emirates: A randomized controlled trial. BMC Nutrition, 1(1), 37. View this article in WRRO
- Abusnana S, Abdi S, Tagure B, Elbagir M & Maleckas A (2015) Bariatric surgery outcomes: a single-center study in the United Arab Emirates. Diabetes Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity Targets and Therapy, Volume 8, 461-471.