Andy Tattersall BA (Hons) (University of Sheffield), MSc (University of Sheffield) SFHEA
Information Resources Group, HEDS, ScHARR
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0702
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
Room: HEDS Ground Floor Open Plan
Scan to add my contact details to your smartphone
I joined ScHARR in 2001 after working as a journalist with my remit to provide support and guidance to staff and students in their use of technology and information resources. My role is to scan the horizon for opportunities relating to research, teaching and collaboration and maintain networks that support this. I have a keen interest in new ways of working by employing Web 2.0 and Social Media including video but also pay close attention to the implications and pitfalls for using such advances. I offer guidance and support on information literacies and digital copyright. My main areas of work are in digital academia, scholarly communications, Web 2.0, social media, Google Apps, Altmetrics, MOOCs, infographics and the Web.
I regularly write and give talks about digital academia, research and learning technology, scholarly communications, open research, web tools, altmetrics and social media. In particular, their application for research, teaching, learning, knowledge management and collaboration. I have a Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at The University of Sheffield. I am also a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I received my Senate Award in recognition as being the person who sparked interest in running the first MOOCs at my institution in 2013.
I started the ScHARR Bite Size series - where we teach you something new in 20 minutes, a model which has been replicated at various universities around the globe. I established the popular ScHARR Library Blog in 2007. I am also the Chair of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals Multi-Media and Information Technology Committee. I run occasional App Swap Breakfasts at institutions and conferences and a weekly academic writing club in ScHARR.
My research interests are focused in the area of modern Web tools, Altmetrics, Web 2.0, social networks and software and their application for research, teaching, learning, knowledge management and transfer and collaboration. I am very interested in how we manage information and how information overload affects our professional and personal lives.
My teaching interests lie in encouraging staff and students to use the many tools and technologies, quite often freely, available to aid them carry out research and collaboration within the academic and clinical setting. I teach on the IRIS programme and on various ScHARR Masters programmes. I also deliver one of workshops for staff and students in my department and faculty.
I am a member of the Library and Information Association's Multi Media and Information Technology Committee and was Chair from 2017-2018. I am also a Mendeley Advisor for the social reference management software company and an Ambassador for Altmetric.com - both of whom I have won their monthly awards..
- Tattersall A (2019) Technology has all the answers, but we must start thinking about asking the right questions. Library Hi Tech News.
- Tattersall A & Carroll C (2018) What Can Altmetric.com Tell Us About Policy Citations of Research? An Analysis of Altmetric.com Data for Research Articles from the University of Sheffield. Frontiers in Research Metrics and Analytics, 2. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A (2017) Supporting the Research Feedback Loop - Why and how library and information professionals should engage with altmetrics to support research. Performance Measurement and Metrics, 18(1), 28-37. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A & Grant M (2016) Big Data - What is it and why it matters. Health information and libraries journal, 33(2), 89-91. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A (2015) For what it’s worth – the open peer review landscape. Online Information Review, 39(5), 649-663. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A (2015) How can scholarly communication avoid becoming just a cacophony of noise?. UKSG eNews(349).
- Tattersall A, Beecroft C & Freeman J (2013) Learn something new in 20 minutes: Bite Size sessions to support research and teaching.. Health Info Libr J, 30(3), 253-258. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A (2013) Backing the Cloud. Managing Information, 20(4), 32-35.
- Tattersall A (2012) Educate, Aggregate, Organise. MmIT Journal, 38(4), 21-25.
- Tattersall A (2011) References, Collections, Corrections and Mendeley. MmIT Journal, 37(4), 11-12.
- Tattersall A, Beecroft C & Cantrell A (2011) Using web 2.0 tools to create customized research portals. Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries, 8(4), 367-381. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A & Murphy J (2011) How the web was won ... by some. Health Information and Libraries Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A & Carroll C () Corrigendum: What Can Altmetric.com Tell Us About Policy Citations of Research? An Analysis of Altmetric.com Data for Research Articles From the University of Sheffield. Frontiers in Research Metrics and Analytics, 3.
- Tattersall A (2016) Considerations for Implementing New Technologies In Tattersall A (Ed.), Altmetrics A Practical Guide for Librarians, Researchers and Academics (pp. 137-161). London: Facet. View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A (2016) Introduction In Tattersall A (Ed.), Altmetrics A Practical Guide for Librarians, Researchers and Academics (pp. 1-9). London: Facet. View this article in WRRO
- Booth A, Sutton A & Tattersall A (2011) Using Web 2.0 for Health Information In Younger P, Morgan P, Younger P & Morgan P (Ed.), Using Web 2.0 for Health Information Facet Pub
- Tattersall A () Considerations for implementing new technologies, Altmetrics (pp. 99-108). Facet
- Tattersall A () Conclusion, Altmetrics (pp. 205-211). Facet View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A () Open peer review, Altmetrics (pp. 183-204). Facet View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A () The connected academic: implementing altmetrics within your organization, Altmetrics (pp. 137-162). Facet View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A () Resources and tools, Altmetrics (pp. 109-136). Facet View this article in WRRO
- Tattersall A () Road map: from Web 2.0 to altmetrics, Altmetrics (pp. 11-20). Facet View this article in WRRO
- Booth A, Sutton A & Tattersall A () Using Web 2.0 to facilitate staff development, Using Web 2.0 for Health Information (pp. 131-138). Facet
Conference proceedings papers
- Booth A & Tattersall A (2009) Supporting the Health Researcher of the Future. EAHIL. Dublin Castle, 2 June 2009 - 5 June 2009.
- Appleton L & Tattersall A (2013) Cloud busting: Demystifying the 'Cloud' and its impact on libraries. Panibus Magazine.
- Tattersall A & Beecroft A (2012) Video Saved the Library Star. Panibus Magazine.
- Tattersall A, Freeman J, Beecroft C & Potgieter U (2012) Learn Something New in 20 Minutes: Bite-Size Sessions for Research, Teaching and Collaboration. LILAC 2012.
Theses / Dissertations
- Tattersall A Assessing the Quality and Usability of Anxiety-Related and Panic Disorder Websites. View this article in WRRO