BSc, MSc, PhD (Sheffield)
Population Health, School of Medicine and Population Health
+44 114 215 9130
Full contact details
Population Health, School of Medicine and Population Health
Regent Court (ScHARR)
30 Regent Street
I joined ScHARR in October 2017 as a Research Fellow in Health Economics and Decision Science, working for the policy research unit in economic methods of evaluation in health and social care interventions (EEPRU). My work involves scoping and systematic appraisals of the literature, econometric analysis of patient level data, cost-effectiveness analysis (eg of trial data), decision modelling and health policy evaluation.
After I completed my PhD in economics (University of Sheffield, 2012) I worked at the University of Newcastle in the Institute of Health and Society, and at the University of Manchester in the Division of Dentistry of the School of Medical Sciences.
I have experience in many areas of health economics and have recently focused on decision modelling and econometric methods for causal evaluation. This includes economic evaluations of: The NHS Breast Cancer Screening Programme; the NHS-wide ‘Agenda for Change’ reform to pay, terms and conditions; the production efficiency of dentistry practices; the impact on NHS services of a change in dentist remuneration from a fee-for-service to a capitation contract; forecasting the change in UK-wide economic outcomes from an improvement in population health.
- Research interests
- Decision modelling for health economic evaluations.
- Applied microeconometrics, particularly quasi-experimental research.
- Resource allocation and allocative efficiency (eg production frontier models)
This person does not have any publications available.
- Cost-Effectiveness of Robot-Assisted Radical Cystectomy vs Open Radical Cystectomy for Patients With Bladder Cancer. JAMA Network Open, 6(6), e2317255-e2317255.
- Intervening to eliminate the centre-effect variation in home dialysis use : protocol for Inter-CEPt—a sequential mixed-methods study designing an intervention bundle. BMJ Open, 12(6). View this article in WRRO
- An eReferral Management & Triage System for minor oral surgery referrals from primary care dentists: a cost-effectiveness evaluation. BMC Health Services Research, 21. View this article in WRRO
- Intensive therapy for moderate established rheumatoid arthritis: the TITRATE research programme. Programme Grants for Applied Research, 9(8). View this article in WRRO
- How can we decide a fair allocation of healthcare resources during a pandemic?. Journal of Medical Ethics, 47(12). View this article in WRRO
- Exploring Preferences of Swiss Older People For Dental Services As They Begin To Lose Their Independence. Swiss dental journal, 130(11), 876-84.
- Exploring older Swiss people's preferred dental services for when they become dependent. Swiss Dental Journal, 130(11), 876-884.
- The clinical effectiveness of intensive management in moderate established rheumatoid arthritis : the titrate trial. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 50(5), 1182-1190.
- The impact of changing provider remuneration on clinical activity and quality of care: evaluation of a pilot NHS contract in Northern Ireland. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. View this article in WRRO
- A review of the methods used to generate utility values in NICE technology assessments for children and adolescents. Value in Health. View this article in WRRO
- Are current reporting standards used to describe health state utilities in cost-effectiveness models satisfactory?. Value in Health, 23(3), 397-405. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of changing provider remuneration on NHS general dental practitioner services in Northern Ireland: a mixed-methods study. Health Services and Delivery Research, 8(6).
- An evaluation of a referral management and triage system for oral surgery referrals from primary care dentists: a mixed-methods study. Health Services and Delivery Research, 6(8). View this article in WRRO
- Does capitation affect the delivery of oral healthcare and access to services? Evidence from a pilot contact in Northern Ireland. BMC Health Services Research, 17(1).
- The technical efficiency of oral healthcare provision: Evaluating role substitution in National Health Service dental practices in England. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 45(4), 310-316.
- Productive efficiency and its determinants in the Community Dental Service in the north-west of England. Community dental health, 34(2).
- A Markov model assessing the impact on primary care practice revenues and patient's health when using mid-level providers, lesson learned from the United Kingdom. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 77(4), 334-343.
- Nocturia Work Productivity and Activity Impairment Compared with Other Common Chronic Diseases. PharmacoEconomics, 34(12), 1277-1297.
- A Novel Approach to Proactive Primary Care-Based Case Finding and Multidisciplinary Management of Falls, Syncope, and Dizziness in a One-Stop Service: Preliminary Results. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 64(11), 2368-2373.
- Determining the optimal model for role substitution in NHS dental services in the UK: a mixed-methods study. Health Services and Delivery Research, 4(22).
- Nocturia Work Productivity And Activity Impairment Compared To Other Common Chronic Diseases: A Systematic Review. Value in Health, 18(7), A512-A513.
- Leadership in dentistry: findings from new tool to measure clinical leadership. Journal of Healthcare Leadership, 2015(7), 13-20.
- Senior clinician views regarding introduction of a 'time to specialist' quality measure for unselected emergency admissions.. Future Hosp J, 2(1), 38-42.
- Senior clinician views regarding introduction of a ‘time to specialist’ quality measure for unselected emergency admissions. Future Hospital Journal, 2(1), 38-42.
- The development and piloting of a leadership questionnaire for general dental practitioners: preliminary results from the North West of England and Tokyo. British Dental Journal, 217(9), E17-E17.
- A systematic review of the activity and impact of emergency care practioners in the NHS. Emergency Medicine Journal, 31(10), 853-860.
- Does the falls efficacy scale international version measure fear of falling: a reassessment of internal validity using a factor analytic approach. Age and Ageing, 43(4), 559-562.
- Catheter event rates in medical compared to surgical peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion. Kidney International Reports.
- The cost-effectiveness of risk stratified breast cancer screening in the UK. British Journal of Cancer.
- Health related quality of life in economic evaluations in dementia: state of play and reflections
- Estimating the cost-effectiveness of risk stratified breast cancer screening
- Scoping, assessing feasibility, preliminary research and prioritising projects for the outcome measurement and valuation
- A literature review of methods to measure and value benefits in cost-effectiveness analyses of interventions for patients with either a short life expectancy or receiving palliative care’
- Final report for the technology evaluation of ceftazidime with avibactam for treating severe aerobic Gram-negative bacterial infections.
- Summary report of the Health and Labour Outcomes (HaLO) Tool
- A review of the methods used to generate utility values in NICE technology appraisals for paediatrics
- Health for Wealth: Building a Healthier Northern Powerhouse for UK Productivity
- A feasibility study for building a health and work model. Report prepared for Public Health England
- Key issues and evidence sources in id885.
- An evaluation of an eReferral Management & Triage System for Minor Oral Surgery referrals from primary care dentists