Estranged Students

‘Estrangement’ is a term mostly used by student finance providers to describe a student who has no relationship with, or support from, their parents. To be considered as an estranged student this situation must be permanent, and you must have had no contact with your parents for at least a year.

Coming to university - moving into University accommodation, holiday periods and times of academic pressure - can all be especially hard without the support of your family, but you are not alone.

Stand Alone pledge

You can find further information about the support available to you on these webpages or you can contact Student Transitions and Support with any other questions or concerns:

The University of Sheffield has been recognised for pledging its ongoing support for estranged students by the national charity Stand Alone

            Financial Support

                       Financial Support

             Personal Support