The University of Sheffield Calendar
The Calendar sets out the Charter, Statutes and Regulations of the University. These are the governance instruments of the University and set out how the University operates.
Students undertaking a programme of study at the University should also familiarise themselves with following policies: Sheffield student policies.
University programmes of study are continually reviewed and revised and there may well be some changes between the date of publication and the time the student embarks on the programme of study.
The University will use all reasonable endeavours to deliver programmes in accordance with the description applied to it in the University’s prospectus for the academic year in which students begin their course. The University will be entitled to make reasonable changes to programmes of study where that will enable the University to deliver a better quality of educational experience to students registered on the Course.
The University will aim to keep any such changes to the minimum necessary to achieve the required quality of experience and will notify and use reasonable endeavours to consult with affected students in advance about any changes that are required. Full details can be found in section 5 of the University’s terms and conditions upon acceptance of an offer. The University has in place an approved Student protection plan that sets out the measures we have in place to protect our students in the event that there is a risk to the continuation of their studies.
Students and others should enquire as to the up-to-date position when they need to know this.
For fuller information and details of all teaching and learning related policies, staff members are advised to refer to the following Academic Programmes and Student Engagement Policies and guidance A-Z.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information given in these pages.
The University of Sheffield Calendar 2023-24
- Individual documents
- Dates of semesters
- Historical note (PDF)
- Arms (PDF)
- Charter (PDF)
- Statutes (PDF)
- I: Responsibility for Creation and Amendment of Regulations (PDF)
- II-XIII: Regulations of the Council (PDF)
- III: Scheme of Delegation (PDF)
- XIV: General University Regulations (PDF)
- XV: General Regulations for First Degrees (PDF)
- XVI: General Regulations for Higher Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas and Postgraduate Certificates (PDF)
- XVII: Regulations for Higher Doctorates (PDF)
- XVIII: General Regulations relating to Examinations (PDF)
- XIX: General Regulations relating to the Progress of Students (PDF)
- XX: General Regulations relating to Academic Appeals (PDF)
- XXI: General Regulations relating to Student Fitness to Practise (PDF)
- XXII: Regulations relating to the Discipline of Students (PDF)
- XXIII: Regulations relating to Student Intellectual Property (PDF)
- XXIV: Regulations on the Use of IT Facilities (PDF)
- XXV: Regulations relating to the Library (PDF)
- XXVI: Regulations relating to Academic Costume (PDF)
- Code of Practice relating to Meetings and Other Activities on University Premises (PDF)
- Code of Practice relating to the Students' Union (PDF)
- The University Officers (PDF)
- The University Council (PDF)
- The University Senate (PDF)
- The Students' Union (PDF)
- Honorary Graduates (PDF)
- Ex-Officio Graduates (PDF)
A global reputation
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.