Recruiting our international students
The Careers Service can help you recruit our current international students for graduate positions, vacation work, internships and work placements in the UK or overseas.
We provide a range of services which give you the opportunity to raise your profile across our global community, as well as advertising your vacancies.
The quality of our university and the strength of our international community provide you with excellent reasons to recruit our international students.
Our international community currently numbers 8,936 students from 121 countries. Some of the largest groups of nationals are from China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Nigeria, India, Korea (Republic), Singapore, Iraq, Japan, Saudi Arabia, USA and Mexico.
There is great demand around the world for our international students, many of whom have gone on to join an impressive range of organisations including: Accenture, the Bank of China, China National Petroleum Corporation, China Mobile, Infosys, KPMG, Malaysia Oxygen, Petronas, Proctor & Gamble and Tata Iron & Steel Company.
What do our international students have to offer employers?
Our degree programmes ensure that international students develop professional and personal skills. Coupled with their global skills and experience these students can offer your organisation:
- maturity and independence - choosing to study overseas, in another culture and environment, demonstrates our students' confidence and ability to take on new challenges.
- cross-cultural awareness - our students mix with a wide range of people from all over the world.
- language skills - our students have excellent English language skills and most can offer bilingual or multi-lingual skills.
- technical and business skills - all our degree courses provide our students with the transferable skills that employers seek and allow for the development of critical thinking, interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to work under pressure and as part of a team, commercial awareness and good analytical and presentation skills.
- work experience in a global market - many of our students have already worked in professional and management positions before coming to the UK.
Employment legislation - what you need to know
It is important that you are aware of the legislation that affects the employment of international students and graduates in the UK. This is an area which is undergoing significant change so you need to be certain that you are up to date with current schemes and how they operate.
Most international students have permission to work while they are registered as a student in the UK (up to 20 hours per week during semesters and full-time during vacation).
International students can also undertake an industrial placement year as long it is a requirement of their course either through Year in Industry or a Degree with Employment Experience with approval from the university.
The University has produced a publication for employers thinking about recruiting our international graduates, outlining the benefits to your business, the schemes, and how we can help you.
See also the employer guide for recruiting international students published by AGCAS.
All international students and graduates require a National Insurance Number. They can apply for one if they are either starting work, are able to provide a firm written offer of employment, or are actively seeking work.