Part-time jobs and work experience

Part-time work long banner

The Careers Service Student Jobshop works closely with local organisations to identify part-time work opportunities to fit around your studies. All the part-time vacancies submitted by local organisations along with other work experience suitable for students will appear on Career Connect, our online vacancy service.

All registered students at the University have access to Career Connect via MUSE to search for vacancies including working on campus for the University or the Students Union. Vacancies are added to the system on a daily basis throughout the year and you have the option to set up email alerts to notify you of vacancies that may be of interest.

We also run a Part-time Jobs and Volunteering Fair at the start of Semester One each year which is a great opportunity to meet local organisations recruiting large volumes of students. There are part-time jobs in most industry sectors across the Sheffield area, with work in retail and hospitality being the most common but other more niche projects do come up from time to time so it is worth checking Career Connect on a regular basis.

Vacation work in Sheffield can be harder to come by, and for Christmas jobs in particular, employers recruit well in advance and often require students to be around over the Christmas vacation, so it’s important to plan in advance.

Visit us at the Student Jobshop which is located on Level 3 of the Students' Union, next to New Leaf. Our friendly team of experienced staff will be able to assist you in your search for a part-time job or work experience. We can also signpost you to help and advice on CVs, applications and interviews, types of work experience available, ways to create your own opportunities, National Insurance numbers or even staying safe online.


The Student Jobshop also operates myJobshop, the online portal for students working on a casual basis for the University.

Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9.00 am - 5.00 pm; Tues 11.00 am - 5.00 pm

Current vacancies

jobshop staff photo
Working Part time during your studies
Where to look

Besides using Career Connect and the Student Jobshop, there are other ways to gain great paid experience:

  • On CampUS Placements – student projects based in University departments 
  • The Students’ Union and the University have part-time work, from jobs in campus bars and catering outlets to admin roles in offices
  • Look out for adverts in windows of shops and bars
  • Check the websites and social media of local companies
  • Newspapers and jobsites in the Sheffield area
  • Friends, family, tutors - make sure everyone you know is aware you are looking for work. Many jobs come from personal recommendations
  • Previous employers - if you worked for a national company before university, you may be able to transfer to their Sheffield branch if they have one
  • Recruitment Agencies

Don’t forget

  • We recommend up to 16 hrs per week during semesters, but you can work longer hours in holidays
  • Search our Develop your employability section if you want tips to help you to reflect on your skills
  • Read our tips on writing CVs, applications, interviews and tests so that you stand the best chance of success when you apply for jobs.
What you need to know - your rights

Hopefully you are reading this because you have found a part-time job – if so, congratulations! If not, please keep reading as the information is still relevant to you.

As you start work there are a few rights and responsibilities to be aware of, which will ensure that you that have a positive experience as a student employee. We have tried to summarise a few here, but you can find much more detailed information via the ‘Useful Links’ page on the NASES website and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need any further help or information.

How many hours?

Your student status will dictate the number of hours you may work (see below), but the University recommends 16 hrs as the maximum during semesters if you are studying a full-time degree course.

  • Sheffield International College students – If the course is for 12 months, up to 10 hrs per week (working is not permitted for courses of 6 months or less)
  • English Language Teaching Centre students – are limited to working 10 hrs per week during term-time
  • International students – most non-EEA students may work for up to 20 hrs per week during semesters (more in vacations) but remember, the University would not advise more than 16 hrs. It is important if you have more than one job you do not exceed the total number of hours even for one week and remember, the working week runs from Monday-Sunday.
  • International taught postgraduates – may work up to 20 hrs per week during semesters, and up to full-time during Christmas and Easter vacations, but not during the summer vacation until all examinations completed and dissertation submitted.
  • Research Postgraduates – are allowed 8 weeks’ vacation each academic year during which you may work full-time

Your employer should give you a contract of employment within 8 weeks of starting work – don’t be afraid to ask for a written statement outlining your duties, working hours and rate of pay as this may help to avoid problems in the future.

What will I be paid?

The UK has a National Minimum Wage (NMW) which must be paid to employees. These rates are updated each April and can be found at: . This is the minimum rate although many employers pay a higher rate. Sometimes employers offer ‘internships’ which offer work experience on an unpaid basis – please note that if you have a contract of employment (whether written or spoken) and you are contributing to the business you are working for, you should be paid the NMW, even if the post is termed an internship. Find out more at NASES employment rights.

You will be paid according to the number of hours you work and this may be on a weekly or monthly basis. You may be asked to sign-in when you arrive and leave or you may be asked to record your hours on a timesheet – be sure to do this or you may not be paid for all the hours you work. Payment is usually made into a bank account but you may be paid in cash – your employer will be required to deduct any tax and national insurance payments. You should receive a payslip with your wages which shows the number of hours worked, the rate of pay and the amount of pay, both before and after deductions.

Don’t forget, cash in hand (ie payment in cash without deductions) is illegal and both you and your employer could get into trouble!

What about Tax and National Insurance (NI)?

All employees (including students with part-time jobs) are required to pay income tax and national insurance; however the amount you pay will depend on the amount you earn. The threshold for paying income tax is when you earn more than the personal allowance  but your employer may still deduct tax from your earnings - the good news is that you can reclaim any income tax paid at the end of the financial year in April. Unfortunately, national insurance payments are nonrefundable. These two websites may help to answer your questions about tax and NI:

Do I need a National Insurance Number (NINO)?

Everyone who works in the UK needs a National Insurance Number (NINO), which is a unique number which identifies you throughout your working career and is used to make deductions from your earnings to contribute towards benefits, pensions and allowances that you may be eligible for in the future.

If you were brought up in the UK you should have received your NINO when you reached 16 yrs; if you need to obtain a NINO you can do so by calling 0345 600 0643 to receive an application form or to arrange an interview appointment.

Work experience case studies

Tell us all about it – we would love to hear about your experiences of working while you study – you can provide us with a case study or read about other students’ experiences.