Information for External Speakers
Welcome to the External Speakers page. If you currently teach on the DClin Psy programme or are thinking about offering your services to teach, we hope you find this information useful.
If you are a visiting speaker with any queries, or are thinking about becoming a speaker for the programme, please contact the programme team link for your area of interest - a list of programme team links for the various areas of teaching and their contact details is available for download to the right.
Becoming an Honorary Teacher
If you teach on the programme, you may want to consider applying for recognition as an Honorary Teacher. Further details, including criteria for applying, can be found in the downloads to the right of this page.
If you have any queries about the process of applying, or to discuss further, please contact Sarah Radgick, Unit Administrator:
Tel: 0114 222 6649
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Programme Handbook includes information about the areas in which we teach and our teaching methods. The latest version can be downloaded (see 'downloads', to the right of the page)
Information about teaching days
For further information about teaching, please see the 'Information for Teachers' document (in the downloads section), from which the following key information is taken.
Also available for download is a copy of the feedback form that trainees complete at the end of each session, which we hope you find useful.
During the psychology refurbishment, we will based in Cathedral Court in Sheffield town centre, on Vicar Lane.
When using google maps or Sat Nav, please use the postcode S1 1HD.
For further information on how to get here, please see the University's travel pages.
There are some bookable visitor parking spaces available outside of Cathedral Court; please contact Sharon Keighley regarding booking one of these spaces.
Alternatively, visitors are encouraged to use the new Q-Park multi-storey facilities at Durham Road and Solly Street, with pre-booking facilities available for both sites.
There’s also an NCP on Campo Lane behind the Cathedral Court Building.
The usual timings for the day are as follows:
9:30 - 11:00 First session
11:00 - 11:30 Break
11:30 - 1:00 Second session
1:00 - 2:00 Break for lunch
2:00 - 3:30 Third session
(on days when there is a Reflective Practice group this session finishes at 3.00)
3:30 - 4:00 Break OR 3:00 - 3:30
4:00 - 5:00 Fourth session
If you are teaching both before and after the lunch period we would be happy to provide you with lunch from one of the local sandwich shops. Please place your order on arrival to the General Office.
A computer, (with internet connection and DVD playing capacity), overhead projector and flip-chart are provided in all teaching rooms. We will assume that you do not require anything further unless we hear from you to the contrary.
Please e-mail any presentations to us at least 2 weeks in advance.
Trainee Learning Needs
At any one time there are likely to be trainees with specific learning needs in the teaching cohort, therefore we would ask our speakers to please provide the following whenever possible:
- Providing copies of lecture notes and slides in advance
- Handouts presented in large font (at least 12)
- Leaving copies of any additional notes displayed after a lecture so that students can write them up.
- Providing reading lists which distinguish between core and secondary reading.
- Avoid where possible unseen reading tasks within the teaching session. Any substantive reading to be used within the session should be provided in advance, unless for example it contains clinically sensitive material which cannot be shared in advance.
- If unseen reading is unavoidable within the session, allow a reasonable time for this – the standard University adjustment is to add 25% extra time – in calculating the time you plan to allow, maybe increasing this by 25% for everyone would be helpful.
- Some trainees will make notes on laptops and/or tablets,
- For learning needs, trainees may ask if they can audio record the teaching session. Further information about our policy on this practice can be found in the downloads section to the right of this page.
If you foresee any problems with this please don´t hesitate to let us know and we endeavour to support the process as best we can.
Please send your PowerPoint presentations/teaching materials to Sharon Keighley at email@example.com, phone 0114 222 6570.
Further information about teaching
For further information relating to teaching content, or how your teaching fits within the wider module, please contact the programme team link for the appropriate area of teaching in the first instance. A list of programme team links can be found in the downloads section to the right of this page.
For queries about teaching days, parking and equipment/rooms, please contact Sharon Keighley
Tel: 0114 2226570
email : firstname.lastname@example.org