For external speakers
For those currently teaching on the DClinPsy programme or thinking about offering your services to teach, please see below for information and who to contact to learn more.
Information about teaching days
We are based within the Department of Psychology, Cathedral Court, 1 Vicar Lane, Sheffield, S1 2LT.
For information on how to get here, please see our Contact Us page.
There are some bookable visitor parking spaces available outside of Cathedral Court; please contact Sharon Keighley regarding booking one of these spaces.
The usual timings for the day are as follows:
- 9:30 - 11:00: First session
- 11:00 - 11:30: Break
- 11:30 - 1:00: Second session
- 1:00 - 2:00: Break for lunch
- Session 3 2.00 - 3.30/ 3.00 (This session time can vary depending on session 4)
- Tea Break 3.30 - 4.00 (or 3.00 - 3.30 –see above)
- Session 4 3.30/ 4.00 - 5.00
A computer (with internet connection), overhead projector and flip-chart are provided in all teaching rooms. We will assume that you do not require anything further unless we hear from you to the contrary. We have limited capacity to play DVDs, so please get in touch if you are planning on using one.
Please e-mail any presentations or teaching materials to us at least 1 week in advance.
Trainee Learning Needs
At any one time there are likely to be trainees with specific learning needs in the teaching cohort, therefore we would ask our speakers to please consider the following whenever possible:
- Providing copies of lecture notes and slides in advance.
- Handouts presented in large font (at least 12).
- Leaving copies of any additional notes displayed after a lecture so that students can write them up.
- Providing reading lists which distinguish between core and secondary reading.
- Avoid where possible unseen reading tasks within the teaching session. Any substantive reading to be used within the session should be provided in advance, unless for example it contains clinically sensitive material which cannot be shared in advance.
- If unseen reading is unavoidable within the session, allow a reasonable time for this - the standard University adjustment is to add 25% extra time - in calculating the time you plan to allow.
- Some trainees will make notes on laptops and/or tablets.
- For learning needs, trainees may ask if they can audio record the teaching session. Further information about our policy on this practice can be found in the programme handbook.
If you foresee any problems with the above, please let us know and we will endeavour to support the process as best we can.
Please send your PowerPoint presentations/teaching materials to Sharon Keighley (tel. 0114 222 6570).
The Programme Handbook includes information about the areas in which we teach and our teaching methods. Please contact Sharon Keighley (tel. 0114 222 6570), if you would like a copy.
Further information about teaching
For queries about teaching days, parking and equipment/rooms, or further information relating to teaching content, or how your teaching fits within the wider module please contact Sharon Keighley (tel. 0114 222 6570).
A global reputation
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.