Trainee Research Conference
The 2017 Three Yorkshire & Humber Clinical Psychology Training Programmes Fifth Annual Trainee Research Conference was held on 26th June 2017 and hosted by the Sheffield programme.
The programme included presentations on research topics such as adult mental health, learning disabilities, clinical health psychology and child mental health, from trainee DClinPsys from all three programmes within the Yorkshire & Humber NHS region. The conference opened with a keynote presentation by Professor Pauline Slade, Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Liverpool, on Post Traumatic Stress After Childbirth Contributions of Clinical Psychology. The conference programme is below, with links to recordings of the presentations throughout the day.
This year the conference was held in dedication to Professor Stephen Morley, Professor of Clinical Psychology, at the Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, who passed away on 28 April 2017.
Lecture Theatre 5, Clinical Health Psychology, Chair: Andrew Thompson
- Iona Shepherd: Sheffield - The Experience of Facial Prosthesis: A Qualitative Study.
- Martha Pearson: Hull - Considering an alternative perspective: an exploration of the meaning and experience of gratitude for individuals living with illness
- Sean Walsh: Sheffield - The Effects of Repetitive Thoughts, and Feelings in People with Chronic Seizure Disorders.
- Claire Wheeler: Leeds - Meta-analysis of scales and measurements of pain, with the intent of establishing norms and determining the reliability and validity of existing measures
- Gemma Smith: Leeds - The patient experience of bone marrow transplant and how survivor testimonies influence this: An interview study
- Matthew Price: Leeds - Are all treatment components created equal? Towards a better understanding of psychological interventions for chronic pain
- Nicholas Stenning: Leeds - A meta-analytic investigation of the psychometric properties of the Health Anxiety Inventory and the Health Anxiety Questionnaire
Lecture Theatre 6, Therapy and therapists, Chair: Jaime Delgadillo
- Alice Staniford: Leeds - Shared decision-making between people with experience of psychosis and mental health professionals: A discourse analysis.
- Katie Gregson Curtis: Sheffield - Predicting therapy outcomes for at-risk patients: A multilevel modelling analysis.
- Rachael Johnson: Sheffield - 'How is cognitive analytic therapy delivered in routine practice, and what factors influence its delivery?'
- Lucy Atkin: Sheffield - Measuring Therapist Competence
- Robert Johns: Sheffield - Therapist Effects Over Time
- Catherine Corker: Leeds - What impact does working with trauma have on psychological therapists and what are the contributing factors?
- Rebecca Tyrer: Leeds - The impact of reformulation on insight and symptom change in cognitive analytic therapy.
Lecture Theatre 7, Adult Mental Health, Chair: Lisa-Marie Emerson
- Introduction & welcome: Dr Andrew Thompson, Director of Clinical Psychology Research Training, Clinical Psychology Unit, Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield.
- KEYNOTE - Professor Pauline Slade, Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Liverpool: Post Traumatic Stress After Childbirth Contributions of Clinical Psychology
- Nathan Shearman: Sheffield - A systematic review of the relationships between adult attachment dimensions and automatic attentional processes.
- Kelly Davenport: Sheffield - A template analysis investigating mechanisms of change in a novel cognitive-behaviour therapy for people with bipolar disorders
- Simon Watkins: Hull - Disclosure of voice hearing and mental health problems: experiences and effects
- Nicola Shanahan: Leeds - Self-harm: Images and text posted on social media platforms
- Claudia Myler: Hull - Trauma, culture and compassion: Interpreter and service-user perspectives of mental health interventions
- Ayesha Roche: Sheffield - Variations in the use and delivery of psychological services across ethnic groups in the UK
- Sophie Lewis: Hull - Mental health through a spiritual lens: recognising its role in psychological interventions and in how we make sense of our difficulties.
Clinical health psychology - Chair: Andrew Thompson / Learning disability - Chair: Tim Alexander
- Delyth James: Leeds - Diary study of adherence to antiretroviral therapy in people living with HIV
- Rebecca Yeates: Sheffield - Self-compassion and coping in young people diagnosed with IBD
- Jess Guilding: Hull - Transition and adjustment; personal and societal influences on the identity of ex-military amputees
- Charlotte Berry: Leeds - Exploring the experience of living with young onset dementia
- Rachel Coleman Smith: Sheffield - Gender Dysphoria in Adults with Autism: Conflict and Congruence
- Gemma Whitney: Hull - Personal experiences of living with an intellectual disability
- Jade Smith: Sheffield - The relationship between repetitive and restrictive behaviours and abnormal patterns of sensory behaviours within the Autism spectrum: A systematic Literature review
- Danielle Dickinson: Hull - Changing perceptions of adults with intellectual disabilities from multiple perspectives.
Adult mental health - Chair: Glenn Waller / Child and adolescent - Chair: Shona Goodall
Watch the presentations (No audio on recording)
- Rebecca Barns: Sheffield - Examining dispositional predictors of psychological distress amongst Clinical Psychology and IAPT trainees: A quantitative study
- Stephen Jones: Sheffield - Interpersonal Relationships and Eating Disorders: The Development and Validation of a New Measure - The IR-ED
- Elizabeth Trippett: Sheffield - What factors moderate the impact of brief mirror exposure on the body image of women of different weights?
- Emily Jenkins: Leeds - Conveyance and non-conveyance to the emergency department after self-harm: Prevalence and ambulance service staff perspectives
- Claire Ogielda Brown: Sheffield - The intergenerational relationship of anxiety and parenting factors
- Josh Wigley: Hull
Adult mental health - Chair: Anita Dorsett / Unthemed - Chair: Tom Webb
- Kirsty Howell: Sheffield - An exploratory study: Development and preliminary psychometric evaluation of a questionnaire to identify autism subtypes
- Elizabeth Gilley: Sheffield - The relationship between working alliance and outcome in psychotherapy
- Josie Church: Hull - A global perspective on mental health; the role of clinical psychology and the interaction between traditional healing and formal mental health systems
- Mark Norburn: Leeds - A window into supervision: An examination of the experience of clinical psychology trainees and their supervisors using interpersonal process recall and grounded theory analysis
- Verity Statham: Sheffield - Intrusive thoughts when feeling paranoid.
- Lucy Bartels: Hull - Understanding positive experiences of professional caregivers who support people living with dementia
- Ian Asquith: Sheffield - “I can’t set that behavioural experiment… they are too frail!”: client and clinician characteristics that influence the delivery of routine CBT to older adults
- Jessica Lane: Sheffield - Enhancing psychological self-help with implementation intentions for individuals with visible skin difference
- Caitlin Ross: Sheffield - Do therapists naturally use implementation intentions? If so, does use of implementation intentions lead to better outcomes?