John graduated with a degree in Mathematics from the University of Nottingham, before taking his DPhil in Oxford. From 1990 to 2005 he worked at the University of Kent at Canterbury, moving to Sheffield in 2005. He was Head of Department between 2009 and 2015. In 2015 he was appointed to the post of Deputy PVC for Research and Innovation.
Other Professional Activities and Achievements
- Chair of the BCS FACS sub-group on refinement
- Running (with Eerke Boiten) the series of International Refinement Workshops
- Programme Committee member for conferences such as IFM, ABZ, MBT, AVOCS, ICTSS, MoDeVVA
- Conference Chair for ABZ/iFM 2012, FORTE/PSTV 2007, iFM 2004, FMOODS 1997
- Until recently I was the Vice-chair of IFIP Working Group 6.1 (Architectures and Protocols for Distributed Systems)
- Guest Editor of numerous journal editions (SCP, FACS, SoSyM, IEEE Trans. on Soft. Eng., STVR etc.)
- Recent books include 2nd edition of Refinement in Z and Object-Z: Foundations and Advanced Applications (with Eerke Boiten)
Specification, refinement and testing using formal methods:
- Refinement in state-based systems.
- Integrated formal methods.
- Viewpoint specification using formal methods.
- Model checking Erlang code.
- Testing of formal specifications.
- Process algebraic refinement.
- Frameworks for distributed systems: architectural semantics, specification templates, object orientation, interfaces.
If you are interested in doing a PhD with Prof. John Derrick then please take a look at the available research topics.
- Verifiably Correct Transactional Memory, EPSRC, 10/2018 to 09/2021, £397,680, as PI
- Verifiably correct concurrency abstractions, EPSRC, 03/2018 to 02/2020, £17,123, as PI
- Verifying concurrent algorithms on Weak Memory Models, EPSRC, 05/2015 to 11/2018, £389,207, as PI
- Formally-based tool support for Erlang development, EPSRC, 10/2005 to 03/2009, £225,425, as PI
- Unifying Theories of Refinement, LEVERHULME TRUST (THE), 10/2005 to 09/2007, £21,994, as PI
- Network: RefineNet, EPSRC, 01/2005 to 06/2007, £52,979, as PI
- Bridging the Gaps EPSRC, EPSRC, 01/2007 to 12/2009, £350,842, as Co-PI
- ProTest: Property based testing, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 05/2008 to 12/2011, £277,503, as PI
- Higher-order Refinement Techniques for model Driven Architecture, EPSRC, 07/2009 to 10/2012, £318,522, as PI
- Verifying Concurrent Lock-free Algorithms, EPSRC, 04/2012 to 10/2015, £378,907, as PI
- Decision Support Tool, BAE Systems Plc, 07/2011 to 12/2011, £51,895, as PI
- PROWESS: Property-based Testing for Web Services, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 10/2012 to 10/2015, £405,800, as PI