Dr Kirill Bogdanov
Department of Computer Science
Programme lead for Software Engineering
Member of the Verification research group
+44 114 222 1847
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Kirill Bogdanov finished his PhD in Computer Science, in the area of specification-based software testing, in April 2000. The work focused on bringing the achievements of the X-machine testing method, for testing software against its specification in Statecharts.
Before becoming a lecturer, Dr Bogdanov worked as a research associate from Oct '99 until Aug 2000 in the Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield, on the EPSRC-funded MOTIVE project, testing object-oriented systems using an X-machine method.
- Research interests
In traditional software development, specification and testing do not play an important role. In particular, changes to software code do not normally get reflected in a specification. At the same time, specification-based testing methods are very important for maintaing software quality, for identification of missing or incorrectly-implemented behaviour.
K.Bogdanov`s research aims to develop a method and a tool to take an incomplete state-based specification, hints for developers as to how it relates to code and both:
- extract an up-to-date specification
- generate tests from it.
A number of existing specification based testing methods rely on a program under test being built with testing in mind, and lose a lot in power if this is not true. In his work, observation of program behaviour under test is used to make up for the missing information about a system, making it more amenable to testing using these methods.
More recent work focuses on passive inference of software models from logs, where it is not possible to attempt experiments on a system being reverse-engineered.
The experimental framework is being maintained as a free Statechum project.
- State identification sequences from the splitting tree. Information and Software Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Observation tree approach : active learning relying on testing. The Computer Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Automated comparison of state-based software models in terms of their language and structure. ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, 22(2).
- STAMINA: a competition to encourage the development and assessment of software model inference techniques.. Empirical Software Engineering, 18, 791-824.
- STAMINA: a competition to encourage the development and assessment of software model inference techniques. Empirical Software Engineering, 1-34.
- A framework for the competitive evaluation of model inference techniques. MIIT 2010 - Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Model Inference In Testing, Held in Conjunction with ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis, ISSTA 2010, 1-9.
- Using Formal Specifications to Support Testing. ACM COMPUT SURV, 41(2). View this article in WRRO
- Improving dynamic software analysis by applying grammar inference principles. J SOFTW MAINT EVOL-R, 20(4), 269-290.
- Balanced FSM generation for empirical studies. 2008 IEEE International Conference on Software Testing Verification and Validation Workshop, ICSTW'08, 371-375.
- Testing methods for X-machines: a review. FORM ASP COMPUT, 18(1), 3-30.
- Statechart testing method for aircraft control systems. SOFTW TEST VERIF REL, 11(1), 39-54.
- Adapting Grammar Inference Techniques to Mine State Machines, Mining Software Specifications (pp. 59-83). CRC Press
Conference proceedings papers
- SPYH-method: an Improvement in Testing of Finite-State Machines. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation Workshops (ICSTW). (pp 194-203), 13 April 2018 - 13 April 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Graphical editing support for QuickCheck models. 2015 IEEE Eighth International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation Workshops (ICSTW), 13 April 2015 - 17 April 2015.
- Synapse: Automatic behaviour inference and implementation comparison for Erlang. Proceedings of the Thirteenth ACM SIGPLAN workshop on Erlang (pp 73-74), 5 September 2014 - 5 September 2014.
- Automatic inference of erlang module behaviour. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 7940 LNCS (pp 253-267)
- Using behaviour inference to optimise regression test sets. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 7641 LNCS (pp 184-199)
- Plug and play safely: Rules for behavioural compatibility. Proceedings of the 6th IASTED International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications, SEA 2002 (pp 263-268)
- Increasing Functional Coverage by Inductive Testing: A Case Study.. ICTSS, Vol. 6435 (pp 126-141)
- Computing the Structural Difference between State-Based Models.. WCRE (pp 177-186)
- Automated discovery of state transitions and their functions in source code. SOFTWARE TESTING VERIFICATION & RELIABILITY, Vol. 18(2) (pp 99-121)
- Inferring Finite-State Models with Temporal Constraints.. ASE (pp 248-257)
- Testing from X-Machine Specifications.. Formal Methods and Testing, Vol. 4949 (pp 184-208)
- Evaluation and Comparison of Inferred Regular Grammars. GRAMMATICAL INFERENCE: ALGORITHMS AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5278 (pp 252-265)
- Reverse engineering state machines by interactive grammar inference. 14TH WORKING CONFERENCE ON REVERSE ENGINEERING, PROCEEDINGS (pp 209-218)
- Identifying state transitions and their functions in source code. TAIC PART - Testing: Academic & Industrial Conference - Practice and Research Techniques, Proceedings (pp 49-58)
- Refinement in statechart testing. SOFTWARE TESTING VERIFICATION & RELIABILITY, Vol. 14(3) (pp 189-211)
- FORTEST: Formal methods and testing. 26TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS CONFERENCE, PROCEEDINGS (pp 91-101)
- Automated test set generation for statecharts. APPLIED FORMAL METHODS - FM-TRENDS 98, Vol. 1641 (pp 107-121)
- Method of Object Testing, Integration and Verification. FORTEST Workshop on testing. York, 13 September 2002.
- Test generation for X-machines with non-terminal states and priorities of operations. Fourth IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation. Berlin, 22 March 2011 - 24 March 2011.
- Automated abstraction of code into a state-based specification and test generation, EPSRC, 10/2005 to 12/2008, £206,347, as PI
- Reverse Engineering State Machine Hierarchies by Grammar Inference (REGI), EPSRC, 04/2009 to 09/2012, £315,209, as PI
- StaMInA: A Novel Competition to Drive the Comparative Evaluation of State Machine Inference Approaches, EPSRC, 07/2009 to 06/2012, £19,772, as PI
- Professional activities