Dr Mari-Cruz Villa-Uriol
Department of Computer Science
Deputy Director of UG Admissions
Member of the Organisations, Information and Knowledge research group
+44 114 222 1870
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Maria-Cruz Villa-Uriol is a lecturer in Computer Science and member of the Organisations, Information and Knowledge Group (Oak) at the University of Sheffield, UK. She is also member of the INSIGNEO institute for in silico Modelling.
She holds a degree in Telecommunications and Electronics Engineering (Barcelona, Spain), and a PhD in Computer Engineering (University of California, Irvine, USA).
Previously, she held a postdoctoral position (February 2006 - August 2012) at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain) and a Research Fellow position at the University of Sheffield (Department of Mechanical Engineering, September 2012 - January 2015).
- Research interests
Her main research interests are the personalisation of models using computational imaging and modelling techniques, the composition of scientific workflows, and the use and development of data-driven decision-making strategies to support clinical decisions using heterogeneous data sources such as personalised VPH (Virtual Physiological Human) models, clinical databases, and mobile sensors capturing a wide variety of variables describing an individual and his/her environment.
Her primary area of interest is in the cardiovascular domain with an emphasis in clinical translation.
- Analyzing Time Attributes in Temporal Event Sequences. 2019 IEEE Visualization Conference (VIS).
- Dietary Docosahexaenoic Acid Reduces Oscillatory Wall Shear Stress, Atherosclerosis, and Hypertension, Most Likely Mediated via an IL‐1–Mediated Mechanism. Journal of the American Heart Association, 7(13). View this article in WRRO
- Heart rate reduction with ivabradine promotes shear stress-dependent anti-inflammatory mechanisms in arteries. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 116(1), 181-190. View this article in WRRO
- Flow complexity in open systems: interlacing complexity index based on mutual information. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 825, 704-742. View this article in WRRO
- Modeling of the Acute Effects of Primary Hypertension and Hypotension on the Hemodynamics of Intracranial Aneurysms. ANNALS OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, 43(1), 207-221.
- RADStation3G: a platform for cardiovascular image analysis integrating PACS, 3D+t visualization and grid computing.. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 110(3), 399-410.
- AngioLab--a software tool for morphological analysis and endovascular treatment planning of intracranial aneurysms.. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 108(2), 806-819.
- Automated landmarking and geometric characterization of the carotid siphon.. Med Image Anal, 16(4), 889-903.
- Three-dimensional morphological analysis of intracranial aneurysms: A fully automated method for aneurysm sac isolation and quantification. MED PHYS, 38(5), 2439-2449.
- How do coil configuration and packing density influence intra-aneurysmal hemodynamics?. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol, 32(10), 1935-1941.
- @neurIST complex information processing toolchain for the integrated management of cerebral aneurysms.. Interface Focus, 1(3), 308-319.
- Biomechanical wall properties of human intracranial aneurysms resected following surgical clipping (IRRAs Project).. J Biomech, 44(15), 2685-2691.
- Dynamic estimation of three-dimensional cerebrovascular deformation from rotational angiography.. Med Phys, 38(3), 1294-1306.
- Automated segmentation of cerebral vasculature with aneurysms in 3DRA and TOF-MRA using geodesic active regions: an evaluation study.. Med Phys, 38(1), 210-222.
- Efficient 3D geometric and Zernike moments computation from unstructured surface meshes.. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell, 33(3), 471-484.
- Fast virtual deployment of self-expandable stents: Method and in vitro evaluation for intracranial aneurysmal stenting. Medical Image Analysis.
- Toward integrated management of cerebral aneurysms. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 368(1921), 2961-2982.
- Morphodynamic analysis of cerebral aneurysm pulsation from time-resolved rotational angiography.. IEEE Trans Med Imaging, 28(7), 1105-1116.
- The role of computational fluid dynamics in the management of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a clinicians' view.. Comput Intell Neurosci, 760364. View this article in WRRO
- Image-based haemodynamics simulation in intracranial aneurysms, Handbook of Biomedical Imaging (pp. 199-217). Springer US
- Influence of Coil Packing Rate and Configuration on Intracranial Aneurysm Hemodynamics, IFMBE Proceedings (pp. 2291-2294). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Conference proceedings papers
- Analyzing time attributes in temporal event sequences. Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Visualization Conference (VIS). Vancouver, BC, Canada, 20 October 2019 - 25 October 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Cerebral Aneurysms: A Patient-Specific and Image-Based Management Pipeline (pp 327-349)
- Prediction of cerebral aneurysm rupture using hemodynamic, morphologic and clinical features: A data mining approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 6861 LNCS(PART 2) (pp 59-73)
- Virtual coiling of intracranial aneurysms based on dynamic path planning.. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv, Vol. 14(Pt 1) (pp 355-362). Germany
- A computational framework to explore the role of pulsatile haemodynamics on cerebral aneurysm development for patient-specific arterial geometries. Proceedings of the 6th World Congress of Biomechanics (WCB 2010). (pp 759-762)
- Morphological descriptors as rupture indicators in middle cerebral artery aneurysms.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, Vol. 2010 (pp 6046-6049). United States
- AngioLab: integrated technology for patient-specific management of intracranial aneurysms.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, Vol. 2010 (pp 6801-6804). United States
- Evaluation of an efficient GPU implementation of digitally reconstructed radiographs in 3D/2D image registration. Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 7623(PART 1)
- Hemodynamic alterations of a patient-specific intracranial aneurysm induced by virtual deployment of stents in various axial orientation. Proceedings - 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, ISBI 2009 (pp 1215-1218)
- Estimating continuous 4D wall motion of cerebral aneurysms from 3D rotational angiography.. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv, Vol. 12(Pt 1) (pp 140-147). Germany
- Kinematic Synthesis of Avatar Skeletons from Visual Data (pp 171-180)
- OptiMUS-HF: Optimal target medication up-titration strategy in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction, MRC, 01/2020 - 03/2021, £54,679, as Co-PI
- SANO: Centre for New Methods in Computational Diagnostics and Personalised Therapy, EC H2020, 08/2019 - 07/2026, £2,497,386, as Co-PI
- Clever-dREAMS: Using artificial intelligence to enhance the diagnosis of rare skeletal dysplasias in children, MRC, 12/2019 - 03/2021, £74,668, as Co-PI
- PathAnalyse, Health Foundation,09/2019 - 03/2021, £143,903, as PI
- Early detection of Papilloedema and Diabetic Retinopathy, Innovate UK, 11/2018 - 02/2020, £58,611, as Co-PI
- React to Red, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, 01/2019 - 03/2019, £7,500, as PI
- Professional activities
- Member of IEEE professional society since 2000.
- Organiser of AngioLab – Image assisted planning platform for the embolisation of cerebral aneurysms and AngioLab – A knowledge-based platform for patient-specific aneurysm management, treatment assessment and planning within the ESMINT (European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy) 2nd and 3rd Teaching Courses respectively held on 13th-18th December 2009, and 5th-10th December 2010, Barcelona, Spain. Both events had an attendance of 23 and 28 neuroradiologists.
- Reviewer of journals such as IEEE Transactions of Medical Imaging, JAMIA, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, and Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, and of conferences such as MICCAI.
- Member of the EIBIR IMAGINE committee for the European Congress of Radiology (ECR) 2013 organised by the European Society of Radiology (ESR).
- Invited talk in the Interdisciplinary Cerebrovascular Symposium (ICS) 2014.
- Balsells-Generalitat de Catalunya fellowship 2000.
- Member of the Organisations, Information and Knowledge research group