Dr Siobhán North
Department of Computer Science
Member of the Testing and Verification research groups
+44 114 222 1835
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Siobhán North is a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science. She has a first degree in Mathematics and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Sheffield. As well as her teaching role she is the Faculty of Engineering's Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching.
- Research interests
Dr North currently works in two areas; XML databases and formal languages. The XML database work currently concerns indexing and compression techniques and the formal language work relates to translation between Z and SAL.
- Evaluation of practical trust based access control for XML databases. 2012 International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions, ICITST 2012, 336-340.
- Logging in XML databases: Xlog file for trust based access control. World Congress on Internet Security, WorldCIS-2012, 174-175.
- A performance evaluation of a new bitmap-based XML processing approach over RDBMS. International Journal of Web Engineering and Technology, 7(2), 143-172.
- Trust-based access control for XML databases. 2011 International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions, ICITST 2011, 764-765.
- Z2SAL: a translation-based model checker for Z. FORM ASP COMPUT, 23(1), 43-71. View this article in WRRO
- The 3D XML benchmark. WEBIST 2010 - Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technology, 1, 13-20.
- Z2SAL: a translation-based model checker for Z. Formal Aspects of Computing, 1-29.
- Implementation of a Pascal Database Management System. Journal of Pascal, Ada and Modula-2, 4(5), 15-28.
- A Pascal Database Management System. Journal of Pascal, Ada and Modula-2, 3(6), 15-22.
- CONTEXT SENSITIVE EDITING AS AN APPROACH TO INCREMENTAL COMPILATION. COMPUT J, 24(3), 222-229.
- COPAS - A CONVERSATIONAL PASCAL SYSTEM. SOFTWARE PRACT EXPER, 11(8), 819-829.
- A Performance Evaluation of Logging in XML Databases Using an Xlog File for Trust Based Access Control. International Journal of Intelligent Computing Research, 4(2), 323-327.
- Performance Evaluation of Trust Based Access Control for XML Databases. Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transaction, 2(1/2), 147-154.
- Incorporating Data into EFSM Inference, Software Engineering and Formal Methods (pp. 257-272). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Simulating Student Mistakes to Evaluate the Fairness of Automated Grading. 2019 IEEE/ACM 41st International Conference on Software Engineering: Software Engineering Education and Training (ICSE-SEET), 25 May 2019 - 31 May 2019.
- TwigStackPrime: A Novel Twig Join Algorithm Based on Prime Numbers. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing (LNBIP), Vol. 322 (pp 1-20), 25 April 2017 - 27 April 2017. View this article in WRRO
- A Prime Number Approach to Matching an XML Twig Pattern including Parent-Child Edges. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 13TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WEB INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES (pp 204-211), 25 April 2017 - 27 May 2017. View this article in WRRO
- A relevance comparison between interval and prefix labelling schemes. 2017 International Conference on Engineering and Technology (ICET), 21 August 2017 - 23 August 2017. View this article in WRRO
- The emergence computation of overflow in dynamic XML tree based on prefix and interval labelling schemes. 2017 International Conference on Engineering and Technology (ICET), 21 August 2017 - 23 August 2017. View this article in WRRO
- XML Labels Compression using Prefix-encodings. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 12TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WEB INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES, VOL 1 (WEBIST) (pp 69-75) View this article in WRRO
- Time cost evaluation of trust based access control for XML databases. The 9th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST-2014) (pp 324-326) View this article in WRRO
- Experiences using Z2SAL. Proceedings - ICACSIS 2014: 2014 International Conference on Advanced Computer Science and Information Systems (pp 225-231). Jakarta, Indonesia, 18 October 2014 - 19 October 2014. View this article in WRRO
- Building a refinement checker for Z. Refine@FM, Vol. 55 (pp 37-52)
- PACD: A BITMAP-BASED FRAMEWORK FOR PROCESSING XML DATA. WEBIST 2009: PROCEEDINGS OF THE FIFTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WEB INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES (pp 66-71)
- An analysis of relational storage strategies for partially structured XML. WEBIST 2008: PROCEEDINGS OF THE FOURTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WEB INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES, VOL 1 (pp 165-170)
- View this article in WRRO Z2SAL-Building a Model Checker for Z. ABSTRACT STATE MACHINES, B AND Z, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5238 (pp 280-293)
- Open source software in the desktop: The perspective of the public administrations in UK. WEBIST 2006: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (pp 39-44)
- Issues in implementing a model checker for Z. Formal Methods and Software Engineering, Proceedings, Vol. 4260 (pp 678-696)
- An integrated approach to handling collaborative diagram databases on the www. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 2405 (pp 58-61)
- Tracing Data Lineage Using Automed Schema Transformation Pathways.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 50-53)
- Adaptive Query Processing: A Survey.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 11-25)
- Implementation and Comparative Evaluation of Maintenance Policies in a Data Warehouse Environment.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 90-102)
- Advances in Databases, 19th British National Conference on Databases, BNCOD 19, Sheffield, UK, July 17-19, 2002, Proceedings. BNCOD, Vol. 2405
- Improving Query Evaluation with Approximate Functional Dependency Based Decompositions.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 26-41)
- An Algorithm for Determining Related Constraints.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 134-149)
- Global Query Processing in the AutoMed Heterogeneous Database Environment.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 46-49)
- Improving the Refined Triggering Graph Method for Active Rules Termination Analysis.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 114-133)
- Implementing Data Mining in a DBMS.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 70-71)
- Fully Dynamic Clustering of Metric Data Sets.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 73-76)
- The AutoMed Schema Integration Repository.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 42-45)
- Retrieval Performance Experiment with the Webspace Method.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 150-165)
- Establishing a Taxonomy of Quality for Use in Information Filtering.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 103-113)
- A Document Database Query Language.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 183-198)
- CREAM: A Mediator Based Environment for Modeling and Accessing Distributed Information on the Web.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 58-61)
- Handling Conceptual Multidimensional Models Using XML through DTDs.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 66-69)
- Have It Your Way: Personalization of Network-Hosted Services.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 1-10)
- A System for Managing Alternate Models in Model-Based Mediation.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 54-57)
- Real World Association Rule Mining.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 77-89)
- Semantic Integration and Querying of Heterogeneous Data Sources Using a Hypergraph Data Model.. BNCOD, Vol. 2405 (pp 166-182)
- The world wide web cytokine database - New techniques of diagramatic information management on the Web. INFORMATION PROCESSING IN CELLS AND TISSUES (pp 107-110)
- Core objects required for a generic CASE repository. METHOD ENGINEERING (pp 186-190)
- National lotteries - An exercise in parallel data management design. TRANSPUTER APPLICATIONS AND SYSTEMS '95, Vol. 46 (pp 441-454)
- Research group
Siobhán has supervised eight PhD students successfully.
- Teaching activities
- COM1003 Java programming - First semester
- COM160 Computer Problem Solving and Object Oriented Design - Second semester
- COM162 Object Oriented Design and Programming with Java
- GEE106 Programming for Engineers - Second semester
- MSc Projects running in 2019
- Undergraduate Projects running during 2019/20
- Project Archive