Department of Geography
Full contact details
Department of Geography
Geography and Planning Building
I am interested in the glacial transport of sediment by both ice sheets and mountain glaciers. I use numerical modelling of sediment to observe spatial distributions of deposits and dynamic feedbacks that transport pathways have on ice.
I enjoy working on industrial applications of glaciology, which led me to work for Nagra in developing glacially secure geological depositories for nuclear waste. This also motivated my current PhD work in which I am working on the development of a glacial drift prospecting method for deglaciated regions.
Over the years I have been involved with summer and winter field work in the European Alps. I have also been involved with collecting data from west Greenland.
Exploring sediment transfer beneath ice sheets from model-data comparisons encompassing changing ice flow geometries
My PhD thesis looks to develop a new sub glacial sediment transport model for use at ice sheets scales. My PhD project uses observed indicators of palaeo ice flow, such as drumlins, in conjunction with modelled ice flow in order to quantify sediment transport. My PhD work is primarily undertaken using Python, ArcMap and the University's HPC (Sharc).
2018-2019: Research Assistant (Darrel Swift/Nagra), The University of Sheffield
2017-2018: MSc(Res) Polar and Alpine Change, The University of Sheffield.
2014-2017: BSc Geography, University of Leicester.
- Teaching activities
MSc Polar and Alpine Change - GEO6613 - Polar and Alpine Change Field Course
MSc Applied GIS: GEO6016 - Data, Visualisation and GIS
MA International Development: International Development Summer Workshops (GIS & Adobe Illustrator)
BSc Geography: GEO11003 - Living with Environmental Change; GEO11004 - Why Geography Matters; GEO113 - Earth, Wind, Ice and Fire; GEO6030 - Research Design in Physical Geography.
- Professional activities
Conferences and Workshop
- British Society for Geomorphology, Annual Meeting, Northumbria. 2022
- Co Chair - Quaternary Research Association (QRA) Annual Meeting, Sheffield. 2022
- Quaternary Research Association (QRA) Annual Meeting, Portsmouth. 2021
- Grantham Centre Annual Symposium, Sheffield. 2020
- British Society for Geomorphology (BSG), Windsor Workshop. 2019
- Alpine Glaciology Meeting, Innsbruck. 2019
- Alpine Glaciology Meeting, Chamonix. 2018
- British Society for Geomorphology (BSG) Member.
- Grantham Sustainability Centre Scholar.
- Royal Holloway Polar Away Day. 2022
- Biking back to work: Progress towards cycle access for everyone. 2021