Dr. Paul Armitage
Lecturer in MRI Physics
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 215 9149
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 1714
I joined the Academic Unit of Radiology at the University of Sheffield in 2011 as a Lecturer in MRI Physics, having previously worked in Medical Image Analysis at the University of Edinburgh and University of Oxford.
My primary research interest is in the development of post-processing methods for quantification of MRI data. In particular, for techniques such as diffusion tensor imaging, dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI, arterial spin labelling, image registration, MR signal modelling and their application to stroke, brain tumours, epilepsy and small vessel disease. My imaging interests span the entire age range from the foetus through to the ageing population.
- Arterial Spin Labelling and DCE-MRI for perfusion measurement in paediatric neuroimaging.
- Methods for improving detection and surgical planning in Epilepsy.
- Quantitative diffusion tractography in neuroimaging.
- Developing MR imaging for measurements in bone.
- Permeability imaging in small vessel disease.
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Armitage PA, Farrall AJ, Carpenter TK, Doubal FN & Wardlaw JM (2011) Use of dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI to measure subtle blood-brain barrier abnormalities. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 29(3), 305-314.
- Armitage PA, Schwindack C, Bastin ME & Whittle IR (2010) Pretreatment tumoural perfusion correlates with an imaging-based response to dexamethasone in patients with glioblastoma multiforme. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 81(4), 446-448.
- Wardlaw JM, Doubal F, Armitage P, Chappell F, Carpenter T, Muñoz Maniega S, Farrall A, Sudlow C, Dennis M & Dhillon B (2009) Lacunar stroke is associated with diffuse blood-brain barrier dysfunction.. Ann Neurol, 65(2), 194-202.
- Wardlaw JM, Farrall A, Armitage PA, Carpenter T, Chappell F, Doubal F, Chowdhury D, Cvoro V & Dennis MS (2008) Changes in background blood-brain barrier integrity between lacunar and cortical ischemic stroke subtypes. Stroke, 39(4), 1327-1332.
- Muñoz Maniega S, Bastin ME & Armitage PA (2008) Effects of random subject rotation on optimised diffusion gradient sampling schemes in diffusion tensor MRI. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 26(4), 451-460.
- Armitage PA, Schwindack C, Bastin ME & Whittle IR (2007) Quantitative assessment of intracranial tumor response to dexamethasone using diffusion, perfusion and permeability magnetic resonance imaging. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 25(3), 303-310.
- Carpenter TK, Armitage PA, Bastin ME & Wardlaw JM (2006) DSC perfusion MRI - Quantification and reduction of systematic errors arising in areas of reduced cerebral blood flow. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 55(6), 1342-1349.
- Karaszewski B, Wardlaw JM, Marshall I, Cvoro V, Wartolowska K, Haga K, Armitage PA, Bastin ME & Dennis MS (2006) Measurement of brain temperature with magnetic resonance spectroscopy in acute ischemic stroke. Annals of Neurology, 60(4), 438-446.
- Armitage P, Behrenbruch C, Brady M & Moore N (2005) Extracting and visualizing physiological parameters using dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of the breast. Medical Image Analysis, 9(4 SPEC. ISS.), 315-329.