Professor Tim Chico MBChB MRCP MD
Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist
Head of Department
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 2396
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I qualified in Medicine from Leeds Medical School in 1993. After General Medicine training I undertook an MD with Professor David Crossman at the University of Sheffield which sparked my interest in academic cardiology.
I then moved to the US to a postdoctoral fellow post at Genentech in San Francisco with Stuart Bunting, where I became fascinated by mechanisms of vascular development and how these might be induced therapeutically.
I returned to Sheffield to a Clinical Lectureship and was awarded a GSK Clinician Scientist Fellowship to develop the zebrafish as a novel model of arteriogenesis, capitalising on the zebrafish developmental biology programme established by Phil Ingham FRS who was one of my supervisors during this fellowship.
At the end of my clinical training in 2006 I became Senior Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist, working within the MRC Centre for Developmental and Biomedical Genetics directed by Prof Ingham. I became Reader in Cardiovascular Medicine in 2014 and my research group is based in the Bateson Centre located in the old University Buildings of Firth Court, which is a fantastic place to work.
My group study the influence of blood flow on vascular development and remodelling. We work in the Bateson Centre in Firth Court and have identified a number of pathways that integrate sensation of blood flow and vascular development. We predominantly use zebrafish as a model, as these allow superb in vivo imaging of blood vessel development. Most recently, we have started to use lightsheet imaging that allows incredibly detailed cellular and subcellular imaging of living embryos during vascular development.
My teaching and other lecture duties cover clinical cardiology, developmental biology, cardiovascular physiology and pathology and the use of non-mammalian models of cardiovascular disease. I also have an interest in the effect of exercise on cardiovascular physiology and health.
I am on the British Heart Foundation Projects Grant Committee. I regularly review manuscripts and grants for a range of journals and funders.
I am a mentor on the University of Sheffield Elite Sports Performance Scheme.
- Next generation sequencing of peripheral blood in patients with acute coronary syndromes.
- Using the zebrafish to study macrophage/endothelial interactions.
For key publication see below. For a full list of publications click here
- Chhabria K, Plant K, Bandmann O, Wilkinson R, Martin C, Kugler E, Armitage P, Santoscoy P, Cunliffe V, Huisken J , Mcgown A et al (2018) The effect of hyperglycemia on neurovascular coupling and cerebrovascular patterning in zebrafish. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. View this article in WRRO
- Alabed S, Sabouni A, Providencia R, Atallah E, Qintar M & Chico TJ (2017) Adenosine versus intravenous calcium channel antagonists for supraventricular tachycardia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 10. View this article in WRRO
- Brown HK, Schiavone K, Tazzyman S, Heymann D & Chico TJ (2017) Zebrafish xenograft models of cancer and metastasis for drug discovery.. Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery, 12(4), 379-389. View this article in WRRO
- Serbanovic-Canic J, de Luca A, Warboys C, Ferreira PF, Luong LA, Hsiao S, Gauci I, Mahmoud M, Feng S, Souilhol C , Bowden N et al (2016) Zebrafish Model for Functional Screening of Flow-Responsive Genes.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 37, 130-143. View this article in WRRO
- Mahmoud M, Kim HR, Xing R, Hsiao S, Mammmoto A, Chen J, Serbanovic-Canic J, Feng S, Bowden NP, Maguire R , Ariaans M et al (2016) TWIST1 Integrates Endothelial Responses to Flow in Vascular Dysfunction and Atherosclerosis. Circulation Research, 119, 450-462. View this article in WRRO
- Vidal-Rosas EE, Billings SA, Chico T & Coca D (2016) Reproducibility of parameters of postocclusive reactive hyperemia measured by diffuse optical tomography.. J Biomed Opt, 21(6), 66012-66012. View this article in WRRO
- Pandor A, Pollard D, Chico T, Henderson R & Stevenson M (2016) Rivaroxaban for Preventing Atherothrombotic Events in People with Acute Coronary Syndrome and Elevated Cardiac Biomarkers: An Evidence Review Group Perspective of a NICE Single Technology Appraisal. PharmacoEconomics, 34(5), 463-477. View this article in WRRO
- Martin RIR, Babaei MS, Choy M-K, Owens WA, Chico TJA, Keenan D, Yonan N, Koref MS & Keavney BD (2015) Genetic variants associated with risk of atrial fibrillation regulate expression of PITX2, CAV1, MYOZ1, C9orf3 and FANCC. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 85, 207-214.
- Novodvorsky P, Watson O, Gray C, Wilkinson RN, Reeve S, Smythe C, Beniston R, Plant K, Maguire R, Rothman AMK , Elworthy S et al (2015) klf2ash317 Mutant Zebrafish Do Not Recapitulate Morpholino-Induced Vascular and Haematopoietic Phenotypes. PLoS ONE, 10(10), e0141611. View this article in WRRO
- Ellam T, Hameed A, ul Haque R, Muthana M, Wilkie M, Francis SE & Chico TJA (2014) Vitamin D deficiency and exogenous vitamin D excess similarly increase diffuse atherosclerotic calcification in apolipoprotein E knockout mice.. PLoS One, 9(2), e88767. View this article in WRRO
- Ogryzko NV, Hoggett EE, Solaymani-Kohal S, Tazzyman S, Chico TJA, Renshaw SA & Wilson HL (2014) Zebrafish tissue injury causes upregulation of interleukin-1 and caspase-dependent amplification of the inflammatory response.. Dis Model Mech, 7(2), 259-264. View this article in WRRO
- Ellam T, Fotheringham J, Wilkie ME, Francis SE & Chico TJA (2014) Bone mineral metabolism parameters and urinary albumin excretion in a representative US population sample.. PLoS One, 9(2), e88388. View this article in WRRO
- Novodvorsky P & Chico TJA (2014) The role of the transcription factor KLF2 in vascular development and disease.. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci, 124, 155-188. View this article in WRRO
- Watson O, Novodvorsky P, Gray C, Rothman AMK, Lawrie A, Crossman DC, Haase A, McMahon K, Gering M, Van Eeden FJM & Chico TJA (2013) Blood flow suppresses vascular Notch signalling via dll4 and is required for angiogenesis in response to hypoxic signalling.. Cardiovasc Res, 100(2), 252-261. View this article in WRRO
- Gray C, Bratt D, Lees J, daCosta M, Plant K, Watson OJ, Solaymani-Kohal S, Tazzyman S, Serbanovic-Canic J, Crossman DC , Keavney BD et al (2013) Loss of function of parathyroid hormone receptor 1 induces Notch-dependent aortic defects during zebrafish vascular development.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 33(6), 1257-1263.
- Gorsi B, Liu F, Ma X, Chico TJA, Shrinivasan A, Kramer KL, Bridges E, Monteiro R, Harris AL, Patient R & Stringer SE (2013) The heparan sulfate editing enzyme Sulf1 plays a novel role in zebrafish VegfA mediated arterial venous identity. Angiogenesis, 1-15.
- Ellam TJ & Chico TJA (2012) Phosphate: the new cholesterol? The role of the phosphate axis in non-uremic vascular disease.. Atherosclerosis, 220(2), 310-318.
- Ellam T, Wilkie M, Chamberlain J, Crossman D, Eastell R, Francis S & Chico TJA (2011) Dietary phosphate modulates atherogenesis and insulin resistance in apolipoprotein E knockout mice--brief report.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 31(9), 1988-1990.