Dr Paul Collini MBChB PhD BSc MRCP DTM&H FHEA
Clinical Lecturer in Infectious Diseases
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9530
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2006 as a Lecturer and Honorary SpR in Infectious Diseases (based at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital).
I qualified from Edinburgh University Medical School in 1998 and my general medical training was at St George's Hospital London.
I was involved in the roll out programme for ARV in Africa, setting up and running a clinic in Ghana from 2003-2005 while a clinical lecturer at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana.
I am currently an MRC clinical training fellow.
My research interest is in the innate immune response to pneumococcal infection in HIV, with a specific focus on the role of the macrophage. My MRC clinical training fellowship title is `The modulation of macrophage apoptosis during S. pneumoniae infection by HIV-1 or antiretroviral agents´.
I also have an ongoing interest in the roll out of antiretroviral treatment (ART) for HIV in resource-poor settings. Specifically, I continue to follow a closed cohort of Ghanaian HIV patients on ART in collaboration with researchers from the KNUST in Ghana and the James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough and Newcastle University in the UK.
I am a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and lecture on the MPH and MBChB courses at the University of Sheffield and the DTM&H at the Liverpool School for Tropical Medicine.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Collini PJ, Kuijper E & Dockrell DH (2013) Clostridium difficile infection in patients with HIV/AIDS.. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep, 10(3), 273-282.
- Dodd MC, Collini PJ & Dockrell DH (2013) Low concordance with HIV testing guidelines in a retrospective review of intensive care practice.. Thorax, 68(11), 1072-1074.
- Collini P, Read R & Dockrell D (2012) HIV-1 alters macrophage apoptosis in response to Streptococcus pneumoniae. HIV MEDICINE, 13, 30-30.
- Collini PJ, Bauer M, Kuijper E & Dockrell DH (2012) Clostridium difficile infection in HIV-seropositive individuals and transplant recipients. Journal of Infection, 64(2), 131-147. View this article in WRRO
- Collini P, Noursadeghi M, Sabroe I, Miller RF & Dockrell DH (2010) Monocyte and macrophage dysfunction as a cause of HIV-1 induced dysfunction of innate immunity.. Curr Mol Med, 10(8), 727-740. View this article in WRRO
- Sarfo FS, Bibby DF, Schwab U, Appiah LT, Clark DA, Collini P, Phillips R, Green I, Dittmar MT & Chadwick DR (2009) Inadvertent non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI)-based antiretroviral therapy in dual HIV-1/2 and HIV-2 seropositive West Africans: a retrospective study.. J Antimicrob Chemother, 64(3), 667-669.
- Collini P, Premchand N, Lockwood D & Greig J (2009) Successful use of miltefosine and sodium stibogluconate, in combination, for the treatment of an HIV-positive patient with visceral leishmaniasis: a case report and brief review of the literature.. Ann Trop Med Parasitol, 103(5), 455-459.
- Partridge DG, Collini P & McKendrick MW (2009) HIV testing: the boundaries. A survey of HIV testing practices and barriers to more widespread testing in a British teaching hospital.. Int J STD AIDS, 20(6), 427-428.
- Collini P, Schwab U, Sarfo S, Obeng-Baah J, Norman B, Chadwick D, Bibby D & Bedu-Addo G (2009) Sustained immunological responses to highly active antiretroviral therapy at 36 months in a Ghanaian HIV cohort.. Clin Infect Dis, 48(7), 988-991.
- Payne BAI, Nsutebu EF, Hunter ER, Olarinde O, Collini P, Dunbar JAT, Basta MST, Elston JWT, Schmid ML, Thaker H & Chadwick DR (2008) Low prevalence of transmitted antiretroviral drug resistance in a large UK HIV-1 cohort. JOURNAL OF ANTIMICROBIAL CHEMOTHERAPY, 62(3), 464-468.
- Collini P, Beadsworth M, Anson J, Neal T, Burnham P, Deegan P, Beeching N & Miller A (2007) Community-acquired pneumonia: doctors do not follow national guidelines.. Postgrad Med J, 83(982), 552-555.
- Li C, Collini P, Danso K, Owusu-Ofori S, Dompreh A, Candotti D, Opare-Sem O & Allain J-P (2006) GB virus C and HIV-1 RNA load in single virus and co-infected West African individuals.. AIDS, 20(3), 379-386.