Dr Thomas Darton DPhil DTM&H MRCP(UK)(Infectious Diseases) FRCPath
Florey Advanced Fellow and Honorary Consultant in Infectious Diseases
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9530
Clinical secretary (Miss Tracy Rew): +44 (0) 114 226 8874
I graduated from Nottingham in 2002 and completed general medical training in Sheffield. During an Academic Clinical Fellowship in Sheffield I became interested in the host-pathogen interactions occurring during invasive bacterial infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae and Neisseria meningitidis. Between 2010 and 2014 I worked on the development of human challenge models of enteric fever (Salmonella Typhi and S. Paratyphi A) at the Oxford Vaccine Group (Oxford) and explored how these models relate to natural infection and how they might accelerate vaccine and diagnostic development. This work led to further studies of diagnostics, disease burden and vaccine implementation in endemic regions.
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is a major threat to global health and, for human-restricted pathogens such as S. Typhi, prevention by vaccination is a vital control strategy. After completion of specialist training and a Clinical Lectureship placement at the Oxford Clinical Research Unit in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, I joined the Florey Institute for Host-Pathogen Interactions and IICD in 2018 as a Florey Advanced Fellow.
My research interests include:
- Investigating the drivers of antimicrobial resistance in lower- and middle-income country settings.
- Understanding the role and developing vaccines and diagnostics for enteric fever and other causes of non-specific febrile illness in low-resource settings.
- The ethical use of human challenge studies to advance the discovery and translation of tools for patient benefit.
I teach on the Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) in Sheffield, the Diploma of Mountain Medicine in Nepal and Masters courses in molecular medicine and vaccinology. I am also involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, demonstrating and supervision at the Medical School.
- Member of the British HIV Association, British Infection Association, and the British Global and Travel Health Association.
- Member of the HIC-VAC network
- Investigating the effects of environmental exposure to fluoroquinolone-resistant Enterobacteriaceae on the gastrointestinal microbiota of children in Vietnam (AMS CLSG 2016–2018).
- STRATAA: Understanding the burden of enteric fever in Africa and Asia: a study of transmission and antibiotic resistance to improve diagnostics and inform vaccine strategies (Wellcome Trust Strategic Award 2015–2019).
- Identification of serological diagnostic markers for typhoid fever by protein microarray (BMFG 2015–2017)
For Key Publications see below. A full list of publications.
- Gibani MM, Voysey M, Jin C, Jones C, Thomaides-Brears H, Jones E, Baker P, Morgan M, Simmons A, Gordon MA , Cerundolo V et al (2018) The Impact of Vaccination and Prior Exposure on Stool Shedding of Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi in 6 Controlled Human Infection Studies.. Clin Infect Dis. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang Y, Brady A, Jones C, Song Y, Darton TC, Jones C, Blohmke CJ, Pollard AJ, Magder LS, Fasano A , Sztein MB et al (2018) Compositional and Functional Differences in the Human Gut Microbiome Correlate with Clinical Outcome following Infection with Wild-Type Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi.. mBio, 9(3). View this article in WRRO
- Darton TC, Tuyen HT, The HC, Newton PN, Dance DAB, Phetsouvanh R, Davong V, Campbell JI, Hoang NVM, Thwaites GE , Parry CM et al (2018) Azithromycin Resistance in Shigella spp. in Southeast Asia . Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 62(4). View this article in WRRO
- Darton TC, Meiring JE, Tonks S, Khan MA, Khanam F, Shakya M, Thindwa D, Baker S, Basnyat B, Clemens JD , Dougan G et al (2017) The STRATAA study protocol: a programme to assess the burden of enteric fever in Bangladesh, Malawi and Nepal using prospective population census, passive surveillance, serological studies and healthcare utilisation surveys.. BMJ Open, 7(6), e016283-e016283. View this article in WRRO
- Thompsom CN, Karkey A, Dongol S, Ariyal A, Wolbers M, Darton T, Farrar JJ, Thwaites GE, Dolecek C, Basnyat B & Baker S (2017) Treatment response in enteric fever in an era of increasing antimicrobial resistance: an individual patient data analysis of 2,092 participants enrolled into four randomised controlled trials in Nepal. Clinical Infectious Diseases. View this article in WRRO
- Darton TC, Jones C, Blohmke CJ, Waddington CS, Zhou L, Peters A, Haworth K, Sie R, Green CA, Jeppesen CA , Moore M et al (2016) Using a Human Challenge Model of Infection to Measure Vaccine Efficacy: A Randomised, Controlled Trial Comparing the Typhoid Vaccines M01ZH09 with Placebo and Ty21a. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 10(8), e0004926-e0004926. View this article in WRRO
- Blohmke CJ, Darton TC, Jones C, Suarez NM, Waddington CS, Angus B, Zhou L, Hill J, Clare S, Kane L , Mukhopadhyay S et al (2016) Interferon-driven alterations of the host’s amino acid metabolism in the pathogenesis of typhoid fever. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, 213(6), 1061-1077. View this article in WRRO
- Darton TC, Blohmke CJ, Moorthy VS, Altmann DM, Hayden FG, Clutterbuck EA, Levine MM, Hill AVS & Pollard AJ (2015) Design, recruitment, and microbiological considerations in human challenge studies. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 15(7), 840-851.
- Waddington CS, Darton TC, Jones C, Haworth K, Peters A, John T, Thompson BAV, Kerridge SA, Kingsley RA, Zhou L , Holt KE et al (2014) An Outpatient, Ambulant-Design, Controlled Human Infection Model Using Escalating Doses of Salmonella Typhi Challenge Delivered in Sodium Bicarbonate Solution. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 58(9), 1230-1240. View this article in WRRO
- Darton T, Guiver M, Naylor S, Jack DL, Kaczmarski EB, Borrow R & Read RC (2009) Severity of Meningococcal Disease Associated with Genomic Bacterial Load. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 48(5), 587-594.
- Hayward AC, Darton T, Van-Tam JN, Watson JM, Coker R & Schwoebel V (2003) Epidemiology and control of tuberculosis in Western European cities.. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 7(8), 751-757.
- Blohmke CJ, Muller J, Gibani M, Dobinson H, Shrestha S, Perinparajah S, Jin C, Hughes H, Blackwell L, Dongol S , Karkey A et al () Diagnostic host gene signature to accurately distinguish enteric fever from other febrile diseases. View this article in WRRO
- Blohmke CJ, Hill J, Darton TC, Carvalho-Burger M, Eustace A, Jones C, Schreiber F, Goodier MR, Dougan G, Nakaya HI & Pollard AJ () Induction of Cell Cycle and NK Cell Responses by Live-Attenuated Oral Vaccines against Typhoid Fever. Frontiers in Immunology, 8. View this article in WRRO
- Darton TC, Baker S, Randall A, Dongol S, Karkey A, Voysey M, Carter MJ, Jones C, Trappl K, Pablo J , Hung C et al () Identification of Novel Serodiagnostic Signatures of Typhoid Fever Using a Salmonella Proteome Array. Frontiers in Microbiology, 8. View this article in WRRO
- Darton TC, Blohmke CJ, Giannoulatou E, Waddington CS, Jones C, Sturges P, Webster C, Drakesmith H, Pollard AJ & Armitage AE () Rapidly Escalating Hepcidin and Associated Serum Iron Starvation Are Features of the Acute Response to Typhoid Infection in Humans. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9(9), e0004029-e0004029. View this article in WRRO