David G Kiely BSc Hons, MD, FRCP
Consultant Respiratory Physician, Director of the Sheffield Pulmonary Vascular Disease Unit and Honorary Professor of Pulmonary Vascular Medicine
Sheffield Pulmonary Vascular Disease Unit
Room M15, M-floor
Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
I graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1991 and undertook a period of postgraduate research in Dundee examining the effects of hypoxia, hypercapnia and vasoactive peptides on the pulmonary circulation in man. I completing my clinical training in Cambridge and Papworth and was appointed as the Director of the Sheffield Pulmonary Vascular Disease Unit, in 2001. Our pulmonary hypertension unit is one of the largest in the world and assesses and manages all forms of adult pulmonary hypertension. With colleagues I am also involved in delivering integrated services for patients with pulmonary embolism, managing the respiratory complications of connective disease and assessing fitness for emerging therapies such as autologous haemopoietic stem cell transplantation.
I am the Pulmonary Hypertension Research Theme lead on the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Respiratory Medicine Research Executive and a Co-director of Donald Heath Research where I collaborate closely with Jim Wild and Andrew Swift (Imaging), Allan Lawrie (Pre-clinical models and drug discovery) and my clinical colleagues in pulmonary hypertension Robin Condliffe, Charlie Elliot, , Ian Sabore and Thanos Charalampopoulos. My research is primarily focused on the assessment and classification of pulmonary hypertension and the use of multimodality imaging and artificial intelligence (AI) approaches to improve the diagnosis and classification of pulmonary hypertension. I have participated in multiple randomized controlled trials in pulmonary hypertension leading to the licensing of new treatments and have helped translate new imaging techniques into routine clinical practice. I currently participate in a number of research studies funded by the NIHR, MRC, Wellcome Trust and BHF and am part of a UK collaboration characterizing genes and biomarkers in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. In 2017 I received an award from the NIHR and Royal College of Physicians recognizing an outstanding contribution to research in the NHS.
I am involved in undergraduate and post-graduate teaching of students and deliver invited lectures at national and international meetings.
- Fellow American College of Chest Physicians (2000), Fellow Royal College of Physicians (2009), Fellow European Society of Cardiology (2010), Fellow of Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute (2011).
- Director of National Pulmonary Hypertension Centre Sheffield (2001 onwards).
- Board member of International Workshop on Pulmonary Functional Imaging (2009 onwards).
- Board member of the National Pulmonary Hypertension Audit Reference Group (2013 onwards).
- Member of the Insigneo Institute for in silico medicine (2013 onwards).
- Board member of the Clinical Reference Group for Specialist Respiratory Medicine (2016 onwards).
- Lead of the PVRI Imaging Task force and a member of PVRI Task Force on Women’s Health (2016 onwards).
- Board member of Clinical Reference Group (CRG) for Pulmonary Hypertension (2012-2016).
- Chair of the UK and Ireland Pulmonary Hypertension Physicians Committee (April 2013-2016).
- Chair of the Pulmonary Vascular Specialist Advisory Group to the British Thoracic Society (2009-2012).
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
Publications list unavailable
There was a problem trying to get this page's list of publications. Please try again later.