Dr. Andrew Swift BMedSci MBChB MRCP FRCR PhD
INSIGNEO Senior Clinical Research Fellow
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
C Floor, Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9143
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 1714
I studied medicine at Sheffield University, graduating in 2003. Following basic medical training I undertook specialist radiology training on the Hull Radiology training scheme.
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2010 as a NIHR Cardiovascular Clinical Fellow and I was awarded a NIHR Biomedical Research Fellowship to complete my PhD entitled “Developing the Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Pulmonary Hypertension”. My current position is INSIGNEO Clinical Research Fellow.
My research interests include the clinical application of novel imaging techniques in patients with pulmonary vascular disease.
I am heavily involved in postgraduate and undergraduate research training and teaching, I currently supervise a group of 5 PhD students, MD students and BMedSci students. I am an undergraduate personal tutor for 10 medical students.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians 2006.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists 2010.
- Member of the Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute (PVRI) 2013.
- Associate editor Clinical Radiology 2015.
- PVRI imaging workgroup 2015.
- Understanding the associations between MR measurements, clinical parameters and outcome in subgroups of patients with pulmonary hypertension (PH).
- Assessment of pulmonary artery stiffness and flow profiles using phase contrast MRI and dynamic contrast enhanced imaging as non-invasive haemodynamic metrics in patients with pulmonary vascular disease.
- Right ventricular characteristics and risk stratification of patients with PH.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2015) Longitudinal and Transverse Right Ventricular Function in Pulmonary Hypertension: Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study from the ASPIRE Registry. Pulmonary Circulation, 5(3), 557-564.
- Swift AJ, Capener D, Hammerton C, Thomas SM, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2015) Right Ventricular Sex Differences in Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Characterised by Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Pair-Matched Case Controlled Study. PLOS ONE, 10(5), e0127415-e0127415. View this article in WRRO
- Rajaram S, Swift AJ, Condliffe R, Johns C, Elliot CA, Hill C, Davies C, Hurdman J, Sabroe I, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2015) CT features of pulmonary arterial hypertension and its major subtypes: a systematic CT evaluation of 292 patients from the ASPIRE Registry. Thorax, 70(4), 382-387. View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2014) LGE Patterns in Pulmonary Hypertension Do Not Impact Overall Mortality. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, 7(12), 1209-1217.
- Lungu A, Wild JM, Capener D, Kiely DG, Swift AJ & Hose DR (2014) MRI model-based non-invasive differential diagnosis in pulmonary hypertension. Journal of Biomechanics, 47(12), 2941-2947. View this article in WRRO
- Marshall H, Kiely DG, Parra-Robles J, Capener D, Deppe MH, van Beek EJR, Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Hurdman J, Condliffe R, Elliot CA & Wild JM (2014) Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Ventilation and Perfusion Changes in Response to Pulmonary Endarterectomy in Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 190(5), e18-e19. View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Telfer A, Rajaram S, Condliffe R, Marshall H, Capener D, Hurdman J, Elliot C, Kiely DG & Wild JM (2014) Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension.. Pulm Circ, 4(1), 61-70. View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Campbell MJ, Hurdman J, Thomas S, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2014) Prognostic value of cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging measurements corrected for age and sex in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension.. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging, 7(1), 100-106.
- Rajaram S, Swift AJ, Davies C, Hill C, Jenkins D, Goddard M, Condliffe R, Elliot CA, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2013) Primary pulmonary artery sarcoma and coexisting chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 188(5), e7-e8.
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Hurdman J, Hill C, Davies C, Sproson TW, Morton AC, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2013) Noninvasive estimation of pa pressure, flow, and resistance with CMR imaging: Derivation and prospective validation study from the aspire registry. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, 6(10), 1036-1047.
- Rajaram S, Swift AJ, Telfer A, Hurdman J, Marshall H, Lorenz E, Capener D, Davies C, Hill C, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2013) 3D contrast-enhanced lung perfusion MRI is an effective screening tool for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: results from the ASPIRE Registry.. Thorax, 68(7), 677-678.
- Hurdman J, Condliffe R, Elliot CA, Swift A, Rajaram S, Davies C, Hill C, Hamilton N, Armstrong IJ, Billings C, Pollard L, Wild JM, Lawrie A, Lawson R, Sabroe I & Kiely DG (2013) Pulmonary hypertension in COPD: results from the ASPIRE registry.. Eur Respir J, 41(6), 1292-1301.
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Condliffe R, Capener D, Hurdman J, Elliot C, Kiely DG & Wild JM (2012) Pulmonary artery relative area change detects mild elevations in pulmonary vascular resistance and predicts adverse outcome in pulmonary hypertension.. Invest Radiol, 47(10), 571-577.
- Marshall H, Deppe MH, Parra-Robles J, Hillis S, Billings CG, Rajaram S, Swift A, Miller SR, Watson JH, Wolber J, Lipson DA, Lawson R & Wild JM (2012) Direct visualisation of collateral ventilation in COPD with hyperpolarised gas MRI.. Thorax, 67(7), 613-617. View this article in WRRO
- Rajaram S, Swift AJ, Capener D, Telfer A, Davies C, Hill C, Condliffe R, Elliot C, Hurdman J, Kiely DG & Wild JM (2012) Diagnostic accuracy of contrast-enhanced MR angiography and unenhanced proton MR imaging compared with CT pulmonary angiography in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.. Eur Radiol, 22(2), 310-317.