Dr. Andrew Swift BMedSci MBChB MRCP FRCR PhD
Wellcome Trust Clinical Career Development Fellow
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
C Floor, Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9143
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 1714
I studied medicine at Sheffield University, graduating in 2003. Following basic medical training I undertook specialist radiology training on the Hull Radiology training scheme.
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2010 as a NIHR Cardiovascular Clinical Fellow and I was awarded a NIHR Biomedical Research Fellowship to complete my PhD entitled “Developing the Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Pulmonary Hypertension”. I am interested in the use of computer science in medicine to improve diagnosis and prognostication, I was employed by INSIGNEO for 5 years as a research fellow and am now a Wellcome Trust Clinical Career Development Fellow.
My research interests include the clinical application of novel imaging techniques and analysis approaches in patients with cardiac and pulmonary disease.
- Undergraduate and post graduate research skills training.
- Radiology teaching for registrars.
- Cluster leader for BMedSci course.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians 2006.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists 2010.
- Member of the Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute (PVRI) 2013.
- Associate editor Clinical Radiology 2015.
- PVRI imaging workgroup co-founder with Professor David Kiely 2015.
- Collaborator - Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) expert consensus for CMR imaging endpoints in clinical research 2015.
- Machine learning to improve disease assessment in cardiac and pulmonary disease.
- Developing MRI as diagnostic and prognostic tool - DITCH.
- Lung subtraction Iodine mapping in patients with suspected chronic emboli - INSITGATE.
- Repeatability of magnetic resonance imaging cardiopulmonary metrics in pulmonary arterial hypertension - Implications for trial design.
- Understanding the phenotype of genetic variants using magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography - COHORT study.
- Risk stratification of patients with cardiac and pulmonary disorders.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
Key words: Swift A Sheffield OR Swift A Hull
- Quadery SR, Swift AJ, Billings C, Thompson AAR, Elliot CA, Hurdman J, Charalampopoulos A, Sabroe I, Armstrong I, Hamilton N, Sephton P, Garrod S, Pepke-Zaba J, Jenkins DP, Screaton N, Rothman AM, Lawrie A, Cleveland T, Thomas S, Rajaram S, Hill C, Davies C, Johns CS, Wild JM, Condliffe R & Kiely DG (2018) The impact of patient choice on survival in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. European Respiratory Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Johns CS, Wild JM, Rajaram S, Tubman E, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Charalampopoulos A, Kiely DG & Swift AJ (2018) Identifying At-Risk Patients with Combined Pre- and Postcapillary Pulmonary Hypertension Using Interventricular Septal Angle at Cardiac MRI. Radiology, 180120-180120. View this article in WRRO
- Chin M, Johns C, Currie BJ, Weatherley N, Hill C, Elliot C, Rajaram S, Wild JM, Condliffe R, Bianchi S, Kiely DG & Swift AJ (2018) Pulmonary Artery Size in Interstitial Lung Disease and Pulmonary Hypertension: Association with Interstitial Lung Disease Severity and Diagnostic Utility. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 5. View this article in WRRO
- Currie BJ, Johns C, Chin M, Charalampopolous T, Elliot CA, Garg P, Rajaram S, Hill C, Wild JW, Condliffe RA, Kiely DG & Swift AJ (2018) CT derived left atrial size identifies left heart disease in suspected pulmonary hypertension: Derivation and validation of predictive thresholds. International Journal of Cardiology, 260, 172-177. View this article in WRRO
- Hadinnapola C, Bleda M, Haimel M, Screaton N, Swift AJ, Dorfmüller P, Preston SD, Southwood M, Hernandez-Sanchez J, Martin J, Treacy C, Yates K, Bogaard H, Church C, Coghlan G, Condliffe R, Corris PA, Gibbs SR, Girerd B, Holden S, Humbert M, Kiely DG, Lawrie A, Machado RD, MacKenzie Ross R, Moledina S, Montani D, Newnham M, Peacock AJ, Pepke-Zaba J, Rayner-Matthews PJ, Shamardina O, Soubrier F, Southgate L, Suntharalingam J, Toshner MR, Trembath RC, Vonk Noordegraaf A, Wilkins MR, Wort SJ, Wharton J, Gräf S, Morrell NW & NIHR BioResource - Rare Diseases Consortium & UK National Cohort Study of Idiopathic and Heritable PAH (2017) Phenotypic Characterisation of EIF2AK4 Mutation Carriers in a Large Cohort of Patients Diagnosed Clinically with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension.. Circulation, 136(21), 2022-2033. View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Capener D, Johns C, Hamilton N, Rothman A, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Charalampopoulos A, Rajaram S, Lawrie A, Campbell MJ, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2017) Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Prognostic Evaluation of Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 196(2). View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2015) Longitudinal and Transverse Right Ventricular Function in Pulmonary Hypertension: Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study from the ASPIRE Registry. Pulmonary Circulation, 5(3), 557-564.
- Swift AJ, Capener D, Hammerton C, Thomas SM, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2015) Right Ventricular Sex Differences in Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Characterised by Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Pair-Matched Case Controlled Study. PLOS ONE, 10(5), e0127415-e0127415. View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2014) LGE Patterns in Pulmonary Hypertension Do Not Impact Overall Mortality. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, 7(12), 1209-1217.
- Swift AJ, Telfer A, Rajaram S, Condliffe R, Marshall H, Capener D, Hurdman J, Elliot C, Kiely DG & Wild JM (2014) Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension.. Pulm Circ, 4(1), 61-70. View this article in WRRO
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Campbell MJ, Hurdman J, Thomas S, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2014) Prognostic value of cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging measurements corrected for age and sex in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension.. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging, 7(1), 100-106.
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Hurdman J, Hill C, Davies C, Sproson TW, Morton AC, Capener D, Elliot C, Condliffe R, Wild JM & Kiely DG (2013) Noninvasive estimation of pa pressure, flow, and resistance with CMR imaging: Derivation and prospective validation study from the aspire registry. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, 6(10), 1036-1047.
- Swift AJ, Rajaram S, Condliffe R, Capener D, Hurdman J, Elliot C, Kiely DG & Wild JM (2012) Pulmonary artery relative area change detects mild elevations in pulmonary vascular resistance and predicts adverse outcome in pulmonary hypertension.. Invest Radiol, 47(10), 571-577.