Dr. Heather L Wilson BSc DPhil
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Telephone: +44 (0)114 215 9560
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
My overarching research focus is to understand how immune activation is linked to heart disease. Following a severe infection like pneumonia, individuals are at a higher risk of heart attack or stroke for up to 3 weeks after the infection. We believe this is because immune cells in the atherosclerotic plaque become activated by inflammation, making the plaque more prone to rupture. Macrophages are a key immune cell in the arterial plaque, that alter their response and cellular function when exposed to infection or inflammatory signals. We have investigated how these atherosclerotic macrophages alter functionally according to their environment. Specifically we have addressed how P2X7 receptors, interleukin-1 secretion and Tribbles expression affect macrophage function. We are currently also interested in understanding the function of adipose tissue macrophages, since different fat depots are more or less associated with inflammation and disease: abdominal fat is associated with cardiovascular diseases and cancer susceptibility, while peripheral fat confers a lower disease risk.
We work closely with cardiology and stroke consultants within IICD and the Medical School in Sheffield so that our basic science is connected to patient disease. We are also fortunate to be part of a European Commission funded International Training Network, where we connect with scientists across Europe who have complimentary interests to link immunity, metabolism and disease together. We are increasingly aware that obesity is connected to cancer risk as well as cardiovascular diseases, and seek to understand the underlying mechanisms.
BSc (First Class) in Pharmacology, University College London.
Research Scientist, Pharmacology Department, Wellcome Research Laboratories, Beckenham, Kent.
D.Phil. in Pharmacology, University of Oxford. Laboratory of Prof. Antony Galione.
Wellcome Trust PDRA, Laboratory of Profs Alan North & Annmarie Surprenant.
BHF PDRA, Laboratory of Prof. Steven Dower.
RCUK Fellow, University of Sheffield, 2005-2010.
Lecturer, University of Sheffield, 2010-2017
Senior Lecturer, University of Sheffield, 2018-Present.
Course Deputy, MRes in Cardiovascular Medicine.
Cardiovascular Pathway Lead, MSc in Molecular Medicine.
CDL401 Vascular Cell Biology module lead.
CDL301 lecturer, Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Biomedical Science BSc.
BMedSci Cluster lead, 2010-2019.
Personal and Academic Tutor to MBChB, BMedSci, MSc & MRes students.
Laboratory Project supervisor to PhD, MSc, MRes, BMedSci, MBChB & MBB four-year MBiolSci students & clinical training fellows.
- Departmental REF Lead.
- Member of the British Atherosclerosis Society and British Society of Immunology.
- Ethics reviewer.
- Member of the Bateson Centre, University of Sheffield (formerly Centre for Developmental and Biomedical Genetics).
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council Project Grant. "Novel zebrafish approaches to investigate leaderless protein secretion in vivo."
- British Heart Foundation Project Grant. "Mechanisms and consequences of in vivo targeting of IL-1 to the endothelium."
- British Heart Foundation PhD studentship. "Regulation of the Endothelial P2X4/7 Receptor Axis.”
- Heart Research UK. Clinical Training Fellowship (supervisor). "Neutrophil delivery of IL-1 as a mechanism of MI risk after lung infection."
- A*Star Studentship. "Contribution of blood immune cell subtypes in inflammatory function and the development of cardiovascular disease."
- Horizon 2020 European Commission. Marie Curie Innovative Training Network Programme Award. TRAIN ‘Tribbles Research and Innovation Network’ 2016-2021
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Johnston JM, Angyal A, Bauer RC, Hamby S, Suvarna SK, Baidžajevas K, Hegedus Z, Dear TN, Turner M, Wilson HL , Goodall AH et al (2019) Myeloid tribbles 1 induces early atherosclerosis via enhanced foam cell expansion. Science Advances, 5(10). View this article in WRRO
- Savage AM, Kurusamy S, Chen Y, Jiang Z, Chhabria K, MacDonald RB, Kim HR, Wilson HL, van Eeden FJM, Armesilla AL , Chico TJA et al (2019) tmem33 is essential for VEGF-mediated endothelial calcium oscillations and angiogenesis. Nature Communications, 10. View this article in WRRO
- Ogryzko NV, Lewis A, Wilson HL, Meijer AH, Renshaw SA & Elks PM (2019) Hif-1α–Induced Expression of Il-1β Protects against Mycobacterial Infection in Zebrafish. The Journal of Immunology, 202(2), 494-502. View this article in WRRO
- Green J, Souilhiol C, Xanthis I, Martinez-Campesino L, Bowden N, Evans P & Wilson H (2018) Atheroprone flow activates inflammation via endothelial ATP-dependent P2X7-p38 signalling. Cardiovascular Research, 114(2), 324-335. View this article in WRRO
- Li Y, Wilson HL & Kiss-Toth E (2017) Regulating STING in health and disease. J Inflamm (Lond), 14, 11-11. View this article in WRRO
- Hadadi E, Zhang B, Baidzajevas K, Yusof N, Puan KJ, Ong SM, Yeap WH, Rotzschke O, Kiss-Toth E, Wilson H & Wong SC (2016) Differential IL-1β secretion by monocyte subsets is regulated by Hsp27 through modulating mRNA stability. Scientific Reports, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Alfaidi M, Wilson H, Daigneault M, Burnett A, Ridger V, Chamberlain J & Francis SE (2015) Neutrophil Elastase promotes Interleukin-1β secretion from Human Coronary Endothelium. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 290, 24067-24078. View this article in WRRO
- Ogryzko NV, Renshaw SA & Wilson HL (2014) The IL-1 family in fish: swimming through the muddy waters of inflammasome evolution.. Dev Comp Immunol, 46(1), 53-62.
- Ogryzko NV, Hoggett EE, Solaymani-Kohal S, Tazzyman S, Chico TJA, Renshaw SA & Wilson HL (2014) Zebrafish tissue injury causes upregulation of interleukin-1 and caspase-dependent amplification of the inflammatory response.. Dis Model Mech, 7(2), 259-264. View this article in WRRO
- Basran A, Jabeen M, Bingle L, Stokes CA, Dockrell DH, Whyte MKB, Walmsley SR, Higgins KR, Vogel SN, Wilson HL , Prince LR et al (2013) Roles of neutrophils in the regulation of the extent of human inflammation through delivery of IL-1 and clearance of chemokines.. J Leukoc Biol, 93(1), 7-19. View this article in WRRO
- Ward JR, West PW, Ariaans MP, Parker LC, Francis SE, Crossman DC, Sabroe I & Wilson HL (2010) Temporal interleukin-1beta secretion from primary human peripheral blood monocytes by P2X7-independent and P2X7-dependent mechanisms.. J Biol Chem, 285(30), 23147-23158.
- Ward JR, Wilson HL, Francis SE, Crossman DC & Sabroe I (2009) Translational mini-review series on immunology of vascular disease: inflammation, infections and Toll-like receptors in cardiovascular disease.. Clin Exp Immunol, 156(3), 386-394.
- Wilson HL, Varcoe RW, Stokes L, Holland KL, Francis SE, Dower SK, Surprenant A & Crossman DC (2007) P2X receptor characterization and IL-1/IL-1Ra release from human endothelial cells.. Br J Pharmacol, 151(1), 115-127.
- Evans I, Dower SK, Francis SE, Crossman DC & Wilson HL (2006) Action of intracellular IL-1Ra (Type 1) is independent of the IL-1 intracellular signalling pathway.. Cytokine, 33(5), 274-280.
- Wilson HL, Francis SE, Dower SK & Crossman DC (2004) Secretion of intracellular IL-1 receptor antagonist (type 1) is dependent on P2X7 receptor activation.. J Immunol, 173(2), 1202-1208.