Useful links

The University of Sheffield

International Student Support and Guidance at the University of Sheffield provides a range of services to students who have decided to study with us.

International Student Support and Guidance

International Students Committee at the University of Sheffield Students Union offers a variety of services and activities for International Students, their partners and children. All international students automatically become members of the Union of Students.

International Students Committee

International Students Advice Centre at the University of Sheffield Students Union is on hand to help with any queries you may have when studying here.

International Students Advice Centre

The British Council

The British Council website is a general information website about studying in the UK and provides information on courses, funding, student life and making an application

The British Council website

The British Council runs the annual Shine - International Student Awards which is open to all international students studying in the UK. This is a prestigious international competition and gives you the chance to talk about your experiences in the UK and win a cash prize

Shine - International Student Awards

Quality of UK Higher Education

The Research Assessment Exercise and the Teaching Quality Assessment are independent assessments, carried out by the UK government, to assess the quality of teaching and research undertaken in UK universities.

Research Assessment Exercise 2008

Teaching Quality Assessment

Coming to the UK

The British Government's Border Agency website can help you understand what the Immigration Rules say about applying to stay in the United Kingdom.

The UK Border Agency

Foreign and Commonwealth Office is the British Government department responsible for foreign affairs through its headquarters in London and Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates throughout the world.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

The Home Office's UK Border Agency runs the UK's visa service. Their website tells you all you need to know about whether you need a visa to study in the UK and, if so, how to apply for one.

UK Visas and Immigration Homepage

Apply for a UK Visa

Support and Information

UKCISA: UK Council for International Student Affairs provides a series of information leaflets offering practical advice addressing the most important areas of concern for international students studying in the UK.

UKCISA: UK Council for International Student Affairs

Working in the UK

The Working in the UK website aims to provide you with clear information about the various routes open to foreign nationals who want to find out more about working in the UK.

Working in the UK

Post Study Work Scheme

The UK government has announced the closure of the Post-Study Work scheme from April 2012. This scheme allowed international students two years to seek employment after their course ended. Graduates, who have an offer of a skilled job from a sponsoring employer, will be able to switch to Tier 2 of the points-based-system before their student visa expires and will be able to stay to work.

Post Study Work Scheme