Dr Gwendolen Reilly
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Professor of Musculoskeletal Bioengineering
+44 114 222 5986
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Pam Liversidge Building
Gwendolen Reilly has been a member of academic staff since 2004.
She received her DPhil in Biology at the University of York, specialising in bone biomechanics. She has previously undertaken post-doctoral research at the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in cell biomechanics, biomaterials and bone structure respectively. Subsequently, she undertook a position as Research Assistant Professor in Bioengineering at the University of Illinois, Chicago specializing in tissue engineering.
Gwen’s current research combines her expertise in biomechanics, biomaterials and orthopaedics.
- Research interests
The research has applications in orthopaedic and dental medicine, where clinicians are looking for improved methods to repair skeletal tissues; bone, tendon and cartilage.
Bone tissue engineering
The aim of bone tissue engineering is to create bone matrix in the laboratory for clinical implantation and as an experimental tool. Our research in this area focuses on two main themes; the effects of mechanical stimulation on differentiation and matrix formation by bone cells and the interactions between precursor bone cells and their biomaterial substrate. Mechanical stimuli examined include dynamic compression, stretch and fluid flow induced shear stresses using a range of bioreactors (including a collaboration with ElectroForce systems group).
Musculoskeletal cell mechanobiology
We are interested in how skeletal cells respond to extrinsic and intrinsic stimuli by organizing the proteins and mineral they secrete in a way which enhances the strength of the matrix. This information can then be used to manipulate tissue-engineered structures in order to induce structurally sound matrix formation. We specifically focus on mechanosensation mechanisms found on the cell membrane; the cell’s proteoglycan (sugar-based) coat and a small organelle that protrudes from the cell membrane – the primary cilia.
We investigate the interactions between musculoskeletal cells and orthopaedic and dental materials that are implanted into bone. Materials investigated include porous metals, polymer scaffolds and peptide coated surfaces (in collaboration with Orla Protein Technologies). This research encompasses the study of the mechanical properties of biomaterial scaffolds, cell-material interactions, cell mechanics and cell signalling.
- Optimization of the failure criterion in micro-Finite Element models of the mouse tibia for the non-invasive prediction of its failure load in preclinical applications. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Combined porogen leaching and emulsion templating to produce bone tissue engineering scaffolds. International Journal of Bioprinting, 6(2), 99-113. View this article in WRRO
- Boosting the osteogenic and angiogenic performance of multiscale porous polycaprolactone scaffolds by In vitro generated extracellular matrix decoration. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 12(11), 12510-12524. View this article in WRRO
- Novel naturally derived whey protein isolate and aragonite biocomposite hydrogels have potential for bone regeneration. Materials & Design, 188. View this article in WRRO
- Characterization of a composite polylactic acid-hydroxyapatite 3D-printing filament for bone-regeneration. Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express, 6(2). View this article in WRRO
- Fucoidan inhibition of osteosarcoma cells is species and molecular weight dependent. Marine Drugs, 18(2). View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of the anabolic effects of reported osteogenic compounds on human mesenchymal progenitor-derived osteoblasts. Bioengineering, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of the angiogenic potential of 2-deoxy-D-ribose using a novel in vitro 3D dynamic model in comparison with established in vitro assays. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 7. View this article in WRRO
- TGFβ inhibition stimulates collagen maturation to enhance bone repair and fracture resistance in a murine myeloma model. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. View this article in WRRO
- A novel bilayer polycaprolactone membrane for guided bone regeneration : combining electrospinning and emulsion templating. Materials, 12(16), 2643-2643. View this article in WRRO
- Emulsion templated scaffolds manufactured from photocurable polycaprolactone. Polymer, 175, 243-254. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of cell sample size in atomic force microscopy nanoindentation. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 94, 259-266. View this article in WRRO
- Incorporation of HA into porous titanium to form Ti-HA biocomposite foams. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 96, 193-203.
- Selective laser melting processed Ti6Al4V lattices with graded porosities for dental applications. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 90, 20-29.
- Tendon Fascicle-Inspired Nanofibrous Scaffold of Polylactic acid/Collagen with Enhanced 3D-Structure and Biomechanical Properties. Scientific Reports, 8(1). View this article in WRRO
- Hyaluronic acid selective anchoring to the cytoskeleton: An atomic force microscopy study. PLoS ONE, 13(10). View this article in WRRO
- Light-based additive manufacturing of PolyHIPEs: Controlling the surface porosity for 3D cell culture applications. Materials & Design, 156, 494-503. View this article in WRRO
- In vitro Models of Bone Remodelling and Associated Disorders.. Front Bioeng Biotechnol, 6, 134-134. View this article in WRRO
- Porous microspheres support mesenchymal progenitor cell ingrowth and stimulate angiogenesis. APL Bioengineering. View this article in WRRO
- A simple rocker-induced mechanical stimulus upregulates mineralization by human osteoprogenitor cells in fibrous scaffolds. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 12(2), 370-381. View this article in WRRO
- Early life vitamin D depletion alters the postnatal response to skeletal loading in growing and mature bone.. PLoS ONE, 13(1). View this article in WRRO
- Composite porous scaffold of PEG/PLA support improved bone matrix deposition in vitro compared to PLA-only scaffolds.. J Biomed Mater Res A. View this article in WRRO
- Design and Assessment of a Dynamic Perfusion Bioreactor for Large Bone Tissue Engineering Scaffolds. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 185(2), 555-563.
- A new mode of contrast in biological second harmonic generation microscopy. Scientific Reports, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of Ti6Al4V surface morphology on the osteogenic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Journal of Materials Research, 32(20), 3811-3821.
- Experimental evaluation of new chitin–chitosan graft for duraplasty. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 28(2).
- In Vitro Bone Cell Models: Impact of Fluid Shear Stress on Bone Formation. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Inhibition of BET proteins and epigenetic signaling as a potential treatment for osteoporosis. Bone. View this article in WRRO
- A single short session of media perfusion induces osteogenesis in hBMSCs cultured in porous scaffolds, dependent on cell differentiation stage. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 113(8), 1814-1824.
- Production and Characterization of a Novel, Electrospun, Tri-Layer Polycaprolactone Membrane for the Segregated Co-Culture of Bone and Soft Tissue. Polymers, 8(6), 221-229. View this article in WRRO
- Morphological effects of porous poly-D,L-lactic acid/hydroxyapatite scaffolds produced by supercritical CO2 foaming on their mechanical performance. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 230(8), 761-774. View this article in WRRO
- Erratum: Wally, Z.J.; van Grunsven, W.; Claeyssens, F.; Goodall, R.; Reilly, G.C. Porous Titanium for Dental Implant Applications. Metals 2015, 5, 1902–1920.. Metals, 6(5), 97-97. View this article in WRRO
- Emulsion templated scaffolds with tunable mechanical properties for bone tissue engineering. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 54, 159-172. View this article in WRRO
- Data for the analysis of PolyHIPE scaffolds with tunable mechanical properties for bone tissue engineering. Data in Brief, 5, 616-620. View this article in WRRO
- 3D surface topology guides stem cell adhesion and differentiation. Biomaterials, 52, 140-147. View this article in WRRO
- Developing CT based computational models of pediatric femurs. Journal of Biomechanics, 48(10), 2034-2040. View this article in WRRO
- Controlling Surface Topology and Functionality of Electrospun Fibers on the Nanoscale using Amphiphilic Block Copolymers To Direct Mesenchymal Progenitor Cell Adhesion. Biomacromolecules, 16(1), 66-75.
- Vibration stimuli and the differentiation of musculoskeletal progenitor cells: Review of resultsin vitroandin vivo. World Journal of Stem Cells, 7(3), 568-568. View this article in WRRO
- Electrospun polyurethane/hydroxyapatite bioactive Scaffolds for bone tissue engineering: The role of solvent and hydroxyapatite particles. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 39, 95-110. View this article in WRRO
- Monitoring fibrous scaffold guidance of three-dimensional collagen organisation using minimally-invasive second harmonic generation.. PLoS One, 9(2), e89761. View this article in WRRO
- Infiltration of mesenchymal stem cells into PEGDA hydrogel. Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, 24(5), 1803-1815.
- Preparation, characterization and in vitro osteoblast growth of waste-derived biomaterials. RSC Advances, 4(25), 12630-12639.
- Primary cilia respond to fluid shear stress and mediate flow-induced calcium deposition in osteoblasts.. FASEB J, 28(1), 430-439. View this article in WRRO
- Development of bilayer and trilayer nanofibrous/microfibrous scaffolds for regenerative medicine. Biomaterials Science, 1(9), 942-951.
- In vitro biological response of plasma electrolytically oxidized and plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings on Ti-6Al-4V alloy. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research - Part B Applied Biomaterials, 101 B(6), 939-949.
- Patient-Specific Finite Element Modelling and Validation of Porcine Femora in Torsion. Strain. View this article in WRRO
- EFFECTS OF OSCILLATORY AND UNIDIRECTIONAL FLOWS ON MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS IN 3D GLASS SCAFFOLD. Journal of Biomechanics, 45, S655-S655.
- Three-dimensional porous bioscaffolds for bone tissue regeneration: fabrication via adaptive foam reticulation and freeze casting techniques, characterization, and cell study.. J Biomed Mater Res A, 100(11), 2948-2959.
- View this article in WRRO Mesenchymal stem cell responses to mechanical stimuli. Muscles, Ligaments and Tendons Journal, 2, 169-180.
- Matrix production and collagen structure are enhanced in two types of osteogenic progenitor cells by a simple fluid shear stress stimulus.. Eur Cell Mater, 24, 162-174.
- Application of multiple forms of mechanical loading to human osteoblasts reveals increased ATP release in response to fluid flow in 3D cultures and differential regulation of immediate early genes.. J Biomech, 45(3), 549-554.
- A tissue-engineered approach to augmentation of the urinary bladder. International Journal of Surgery, 9(7), 556-556.
- Geometrically accurate 3D FE models from medical scans created to analyse the causes of sports injuries. Procedia Engineering, 13, 422-427. View this article in WRRO
- Degradation, Bioactivity, and Osteogenic Potential of Composites Made of PLGA and Two Different Sol-Gel Bioactive Glasses. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 1-16.
- Shear stress induces osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Regenerative Medicine, 5(5), 713-724. View this article in WRRO
- Nanoscopic mechanical anisotropy in hydrogel surfaces. SOFT MATTER, 6(18), 4466-4470. View this article in WRRO
- An improved method for the measurement of tenocyte proliferation in-situ. IFMBE Proceedings, 31 IFMBE, 926-929.
- Mechanisms of fluid-flow-induced matrix production in bone tissue engineering. P I MECH ENG H, 224(H12), 1509-1521.
- Intrinsic extracellular matrix properties regulate stem cell differentiation, 43(1), 55-62.
- Novel electrospun polyurethane/gelatin composite meshes for vascular grafts. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE: MATERIALS IN MEDICINE, 21(5), 1761-1769.
- Development of electrospun three-arm star poly(ε-caprolactone) meshes for tissue engineering applications. Macromolecular Bioscience, 10(8), 887-897.
- SHORT BOUTS OF MECHANICAL LOADING ARE AS EFFECTIVE AS DEXAMETHASONE AT INDUCING MATRIX PRODUCTION BY HUMAN BONE MARROW MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS. EUR CELLS MATER, 20, 45-57.
- Development of a Culture System to Modulate Tissue Engineered Bone Formation by Varying Loading Conditions.. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Manufacturing ResearchProceedings of the 7th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 443-448.
- Use of rapidly mineralising osteoblasts and short periods of mechanical loading to accelerate matrix maturation in 3D scaffolds.. Bone, 44(5), 822-829.
- Bioactive borate glass scaffold for bone tissue engineering. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 354(15-16), 1690-1696.
- Decellularization and sterilization of porcine urinary bladder matrix for tissue engineering in the lower urinary tract.. Regen Med, 3(2), 145-156.
- Differential alkaline phosphatase responses of rat and human bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells to 45S5 bioactive glass. Biomaterials, 28(28), 4091-4097.
- Vascularized adipose tissue grafts from human mesenchymal stem cells with bioactive cues and microchannel conduits. Tissue Engineering, 13(12), 2881-2890.
- A 3-D model for mechanical manipulation of tissue engineered bone, using polyurethane foam and osteoblastic MLO-A5 cells. Journal of Biomechanics, 39, S219-S219.
- Solution-mediated effect of bioactive glass in poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid)-bioactive glass composites on osteogenesis of marrow stromal cells. J BIOMED MATER RES A, 75A(4), 794-801.
- Borate glass supports the in vitro osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. MECHANICS OF ADVANCED MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES, 12(3), 239-246.
- Osteogenic effects of bioactive glass on bone marrow stromal cells. You have full text access to this content Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 73A(1), 21-29.
- Differential effects of ERK and p38 signaling in BMP-2 stimulated hypertrophy of cultured chick sternal chondrocytes. Cell Communication and signaling, 3(3). View this article in WRRO
- Mechanical loading: biphasic osteocyte survival and targeting of osteoclasts for bone destruction in rat cortical bone.. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 284(4), C934-C943.
- BMP Responsiveness in Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Connective Tissue Research, 44(1), 305-311.
- Attachment of human marrow stromal cells to titanium surfaces.. The Journal of oral implantology, 29(2), 66-72.
- Fluid flow induced PGE(2) release by bone cells is reduced by glycocalyx degradation whereas calcium signals are not. BIORHEOLOGY, 40(6), 591-603.
- BMP responsiveness in human mesenchymal stem cells, 44, 305-311.
- Development of preparation methods for and insights obtained from atomic force microscopy of fluid spaces in cortical bone. Scanning, 24(1), 25-33.
- Osteopontin gene regulation by oscillatory fluid flow via intracellular calcium mobilization and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase in MC3T3-E1 osteoblasts. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 276(16), 13365-13371.
- Observations of microdamage around osteocyte lacunae in bone. J BIOMECH, 33(9), 1131-1134.
- Postexercise and positional variation in mechanical properties of the radius in young horses. Equine Veterinary Journal, 32(2), 95-100.
- The effects of damage and microcracking on the impact strength of bone. Journal of Biomechanics, 33(3), 337-343.
- The development of microcracking and failure in bone depends on the loading mode to which it is adapted. The Journal of Experimental Biology, 202(5), 543-552.
- Effects of ionizing radiation on the mechanical properties of human bone. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 15(1), 111-117.
- Exercise of young thoroughbred horses increases impact strength of the third metacarpal bone. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 15(6), 862-868.
- Effect of formaldehyde fixation on some mechanical properties of bovine bone. Biomaterials, 16(16), 1267-1271.
- Non-invasive prediction of the mouse tibia mechanical properties from microCT images: comparison between different finite element models. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology.
- Design and Evaluation of an Osteogenesis-on-a-Chip Microfluidic Device Incorporating 3D Cell Culture. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8.
- Multiscale hierarchical bioresorbable scaffolds for the regeneration of tendons and ligaments. Biofabrication, 11(3), 035026-035026.
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Mesenchymal Progenitor (hESCs-MP) Growth on Nanostructured Ti6Al4V Surfaces. Materials Research, 21(5).
- Porous Titanium for Dental Implant Applications. Metals, 5(4), 1902-1920. View this article in WRRO
- Fabrication and Mechanical Characterisation of Titanium Lattices with Graded Porosity. Metals, 4(3), 401-409. View this article in WRRO
- THE EFFECTS OF MECHANICAL LOADING ON MESENCHYMAL STEM CELL DIFFERENTIATION AND MATRIX PRODUCTION, VITAMINS AND HORMONES: STEM CELL REGULATORS (pp. 417-480).
- Preparation and bioacttve characteristics of porous borate glass substrates (pp. 3-10).
- Nanophysical Properties of Living Cells, Bioelectric Engineering (pp. 69-97). Springer US
- Sugar-Coating the Cell, Mechanobiology (pp. 43-60). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sustainable Materials and biorefinery chemicals from agriwastes., Sustainable Agriculture InTech
Conference proceedings papers
- Investigating the barrier membrane properties of biphasic PCL scaffolds for guided tissue regeneration. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- Assessment of the osteogenic and angiogenetic potential of in vitro generated extracellular matrix decorated multiscale porous polyHIPE scaffolds. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- Collagen and Mineral Deposition by MLO-A5 Late-Stage Osteoblasts, is Guided by the Fibre Alignment of Electrospun Scaffolds. Proceedings of the 22nd Congress of the European Society of Biomechanics, 10 July 2016 - 13 July 2016.
- Highly Porous Particles for Cell Recruitment and Delivery in Bone Tissue Engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S287-S288)
- Using composite scaffolds to engineer bone templates for in-vitro testing. Bone Research Society Conference. Sheffield, 11 May 2014.
- A polyurethane-hydroxyapatite composite scaffold as a template for an in-vitro bone model. ICMOBT 2013. Spain, 8 December 2013 - 12 December 2013.
- Using Electrospun Composite Scaffolds as a Template for In-Vitro Bone Matrix Formation. Proc. of the 7th MSC Meeting. Birmingham, 12 September 2013 - 13 September 2013.
- Polyurethane-Hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for in vitro bone tissue engineering. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 26(7) (pp 38)
- Simulation based upon medical data offers a fast and robust method for the prediction of fracture risk. 6TH ASIA-PACIFIC CONGRESS ON SPORTS TECHNOLOGY (APCST), Vol. 60 (pp 459-466) View this article in WRRO
- Primary cilia removal inhibits osteoblastic matrix-forming response to mechanical stimuli. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 6
- Mechanical stimulation of mesenchymal stem cells in a 3D glass scaffold using oscillating and unidirectional flow. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 6 (pp 344-344)
- Optimizing cell sources for cleft palate repair. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 6 (pp 4-4)
- Feasibility of 3D printing and stereolithography for fabrication of custom-shaped poly (lactic acid): hydroxyapatite composite biomaterial scaffolds. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 6 (pp 367-367)
- HIGHLY POROUS TITANIUM ALLOY: FABRICATION AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES. Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 45 (pp S339-S339)
- Diblock copolymer foam surface chemistry influences mesenchymal stem cell fate. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 243
- Deletion of the P2Y13 receptor leads to reduced bone turnover and protection from ovariectomy-induced bone loss. BONE, Vol. 48 (pp S227-S227)
- Synthesis of interpenetrating polymer networks scaffolds of poly (vinyl pyrrolidone) and poly (acrylic acid). European Cells and Materials, Vol. 22(SUPPL.2) (pp 45)
- Porous metal implants for enhanced bone ingrowth and stability. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 22(SUPPL.3) (pp 1)
- Hyaluronan as a potential mechanotransduction mediator. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 22(SUPPL.2) (pp 6)
- Using a tissue engineering approach for the treatment of cleft palate. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 22(SUPPL.3) (pp 6)
- Response of dermal fibroblasts to dynamic tensile loading. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 22(SUPPL.2) (pp 41)
- 3D cell instructive scaffolds to direct stem cell fate. Technical Proceedings of the 2011 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2011, Vol. 3 (pp 256-259)
- Nano-domain detection in Poly (vinyl pyrrolidinone) hydrogels. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 18(SUPPL. 2) (pp 33)
- Mechanical responses of bone tissue formation in 3D engineered constructs via primary cilia. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 18(SUPPL. 2) (pp 16)
- Development of a Culture System to Modulate Tissue Engineered Bone Formation by Varying Loading Conditions.. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Vol. 7 (pp 443-448)
- Interactions between Obesity, Cardiovascular Disease and Bone Formation.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 23 (pp S489-S489)
- The Response of Matrix Synthesizing MLO-A5 Cells to Fluid Shear. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 23 (pp S147-S147)
- FOAM VERSUS FIBRE SCAFFOLDS FOR MECHANICAL STIMULATION OF CELLS IN BONE TISSUE ENGINEERING. Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 41 (pp S385-S385)
- CALCIUM DEPOSITION BY RAPIDLY MINERALIZING OSTEOBLASTS IS REGULATED BY DYNAMIC COMPRESSION. Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 41 (pp S193-S193)
- ATP release from osteoblasts is increased in response to mechanical loading by different amounts when grown in standard monolayer and novel 3D scaffolds. CALCIFIED TISSUE INT, Vol. 83(1) (pp 16-16)
- Effects of frequency and loading duration on mechanically modulated collagen production by osteoblasts in bone tissue engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 14(5) (pp 844-844)
- Different types of mechanical loading induce differentitial ATP release from osteoblasts grown on 3-dimensional scaffolds. PURINERG SIGNAL, Vol. 4 (pp S164-S165)
- Electrospun polyurethane scaffolds for mechanical stimulation of cells in bone tissue engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 14(5) (pp 846-846)
- The role of the primary cilia in mediating mechanically induced increases in matrix production during bone tissue engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 14(5) (pp 788-788)
- Nanofunctionalization of hydrogels using amphiphilic copolymers.. 8th World Biomaterials Congress 2008, Vol. 2 (pp 1062)
- Nanofuntionalized polymeric networks for tissue engineering applications. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 16(SUPPL. 3) (pp 54)
- The role of mechanotransduction in bone tissue engineering. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 16(SUPPL. 3) (pp 84)
- Cyclical compressive loading induces changes in cellular behaviour and ATP release from osteoblasts grown on 3-dimensional scaffolds. CALCIFIED TISSUE INT, Vol. 82 (pp S115-S116)
- The effects of compressive loading on matrix production by osteoblastic cells cultured in polyurethane scaffolds. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 22 (pp S359-S359)
- Collagen and osteopontin upregulation by mechanical loading of bone cells in porous 3D scaffolds. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 22 (pp S268-S268)
- Osteopontin upregulation in a compression bioreactor using two different scaffolds. TISSUE ENGINEERING, Vol. 13(7) (pp 1740-1740)
- Polyurethane scaffolds for long term mechanical loading in musculoskeletal tissue engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING, Vol. 13(7) (pp 1743-1743)
- Mechanical stimulation of osteoblastic cells in a 3 dimensional polyurethane foam scaffold.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 21 (pp S373-S373)
- A 3-dimensional, in vitro model to study the effects of compressive loading on osteoblastic cells. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 11(SUPPL.2) (pp 84)
- Cellular mechanotransduction in Bone: Moving towards a molecular mechanism. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 11(SUPPL.2) (pp 8)
- Biodynamic loading in orthopaedic tissue engineering. MCB Molecular and Cellular Biomechanics, Vol. 3(4) (pp 137-138)
- HCN2 ion channels regulate bone development, mass and strength.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 20(9) (pp S62-S62)
- Solution mediated effect of bioactive glass in poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid)-bioactive glass composites on osteogenesis of marrow stromal cells. BIOCERAMICS 17, Vol. 17 (pp 619-622)
- Osteogenic effect of bioactive glass on bone marrow cells: Biochemical, chemical and morphological study. Transactions - 7th World Biomaterials Congress (pp 200)
- Differential osteogenic effects of 45S bioactive glass on rat and human mesenchymal stem cells.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 18 (pp S346-S346)
- An overview of oscialltory fluid flow as a potent loading-induced physical signal in bone cells. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Bioengineering Division (Publication) BED, Vol. 50 (pp 339-340)
- Manipulation of the glycocalyx of an osteocytic and an osteoblastic cell line does not affect the intracellular calcium increase in response to fluid flow.. J BONE MINER RES, Vol. 16 (pp S481-S481)
- Investigation of the morphology of the lacunocanalicular system of cortical bone using atomic force microscopy. Conference on the Mechanical Properties of Cells and Tissues, Vol. 29 (pp 1074-1081)
- Investigation of the signalling pathways involved in the calcium response of bone cells to oscillating fluid flow.. J BONE MINER RES, Vol. 15 (pp S508-S508)
- Investigation of the glycocalyx of cultured bone cells.. J BONE MINER RES, Vol. 15 (pp S376-S376)
- Using atomic force microscopy to image the lacunocanalicular system of cortical bone.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 14 (pp S553-S553)
- Stress-induced damage in bone: Microcracking and other toughening mechanisms. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 11(10) (pp P28-P28)
- Manufacturing of PolyHIPE-based Porous Microparticles for Bone Tissue Engineering. USES Conference Proceedings
- Using a novel stretching device to study the effects of mechanical strain on tenocytes in-vitro. 3rd international conference on Mechanics of Biomaterials and Tissues. Clearwater Beach, Florida, USA., 2009.
- Data for "Single molecule force spectroscopy of Hyaluronic Acid".
- Data for "Evaluation of the bone glycocalyx mechanical properties by AFM nanoindentation".
- Data for "Variability of the mechanical properties of a single bone cell population".
- Data for "Changes in cell mechanical properties at different stages of bone cell differentiation".
- Data for the paper: "Optimization of the failure criterion in micro-Finite Element models of the mouse tibia for the non-invasive prediction of its failure load in preclinical applications".
- Bone tissue: Hierarchical simulations for clinical applications. Journal of Biomechanics, 44(2), 211-212.
- Research group
- Gifty Tetteh (In vitro bone models for biomaterials testing)
- Wing Kiu Yeung (Surface coatings for orthopaedic implants)
- Tom Patterson (PolyHIPE particles for bone tissue engineering).
- Robert Owen (In vitro bone models for osteoporosis research).
- Zena Wally (Additive manufacturing of porous metals for dental implants).
- Dirar Qassim (Serum free culture of progenitor cells for craniofacial repair).
- Stefania Marcotti (Mechanobiology of the glycocalyx of bone cells).
- Hossein Bahmaee (Microfluidics for co-culture of bone cells).
- Liam Boyle (Mechanobiology of the primary cilia of bone cells).
- Hannah Murray (A* collaboration with Nanyang Technological University, Singapore on angiogenesis of tissue-engineered scaffolds).
- Leonardo Antonini (sandwich PhD student from Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil).
- Professional activities
- President of the European Society of Biomechanics
- Special visiting researcher (PVE): UFRGS, Brazil
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Alice L Jee Young Investigator Award at the 37th International Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal Biology
- Editorial boards of: European Cells and Materials, PLoS ONE, Heliyon and Frontiers in Bioengineering
- Panel member for Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowships H2020 programme, Life sciences
- Member of the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research, Orthopaedic Research Society, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society and Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society
- Women in Engineering
We interviewed Gwen for the Faculty of Engineering's Wall of Women when she was a Senior Lecturer in Bioengineering. Here's Gwen's interview:
The Wall of Women profiles were taken over a 4/5 year time period and are a snapshot of what our engineers were doing at that time.