Scholarships and bursaries
In the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, we want to recognise the hard work and achievement of our undergraduate students. That’s why both the Department and wider Faculty of Engineering have scholarships for undergraduates that acknowledge and encourage academic excellence.
Below are the details of the scholarships available through the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. You can also find out more about other scholarship opportunities at the University of Sheffield here.
Scholarships for international students
Please see below for the scholarship awards available to international, undergraduate students with established and continued academic excellence. Alternatively take a look at our international student funding table for other potential funding opportunities.
- Engineering Excellence Scholarship
We are offering a number of scholarship awards to international undergraduate students with established and continued academic excellence.
The scholarship will be awarded to international undergraduate students who exceed the academic conditions of our standard UCAS offer. Candidates who attain A level grades of A*AA or above (or the equivalent qualification in your country) will receive the Excellence Scholarship.
To be eligible for an Excellence Scholarship you must:
- make The University of Sheffield your first (firm) choice in the UCAS application process for 2020 entry
- be an undergraduate student
- be classed as an international student for tuition fee purposes
- be taking all prerequisite subjects for your selected degree
We will offer the scholarship in the form of a cash bursary at the start of your course should you be eligible. The scholarship amount is depended on your academic achievement:
- A*AA: £1,000
- A*A*A: £2,000
- A*A*A*: £3,000.
Once in receipt of this scholarship, you will be awarded £1,000 each subsequent academic year subject to maintaining a 69.5% overall average mark in the previous academic year.
If you join us directly in year 2, please contact our Undergraduate Admissions Officer to discuss your eligibility for the scholarship.
Candidates will not have to apply for these scholarships, as they are automatically awarded to all eligible students when they commence their studies in the Department.
- The scholarships will take the form of a cash bursary only.
- The scholarship will be awarded automatically – no application is required in the first or any subsequent years.
- Receipt of the scholarship in subsequent years of study is subject to you achieving 69.5% overall average mark in the previous academic year. The scholarship will be withdrawn if you fail to achieve 69.5% and it will not be reinstated in the following year.
- You will not receive the scholarship during any optional or compulsory study abroad periods or year in industry.
- Students taking the University of Sheffield International College pathway program are not eligible for the scholarship.
- The scholarship can be awarded in conjunction with other University of Sheffield scholarships as long as the individual does not become fully funded for tuition fee purposes, as a result of the sum of these awards.
Disclaimer: All details were correct at time of publication and can be subject to change.
Excellence Scholarship for NCUK 2nd-year direct entry
£1K to each applicant who achieves an overall 70% - 79.9% and meets all our entry criteria (i.e., B in EAP, minimum of 70% in Maths, and minimum of 60% in all the other modules). Then a further £1K per academic year subject to maintaining a >70% overall average mark in the previous academic year.
£2K to each applicant who achieves an overall 80% - 84.9% and meets all our entry criteria (i.e., B in EAP, minimum of 70% in Maths, and minimum of 60% in all the other modules). Then a further £1K per academic year subject to maintaining a >70% overall average mark in the previous academic year.
£3K to each applicant who achieves an overall >85% and meets all our entry criteria (i.e., B in EAP, minimum of 70% in Maths, and minimum of 60% in all the other modules). Then a further £1K per academic year subject to maintaining a >70% overall average mark in the previous academic year.
- Engineering International Sheffield Scholarship
If you're an international undergraduate student commencing study in September 2020, you could receive an Engineering International Scholarship worth £2,500 per year.
Are you eligible? You must:
- hold an offer of a study within the Department and begin your undergraduate studies in September 2020
- be self-funding and classified as overseas for tuition fee purposes
- be a full-time or part-time student
- achieve 60% overall average mark each year
For further details visit Engineering International Scholarships
- International Merit Scholarship
You could be eligible for an International Merit Scholarship; each scholarship is worth 50% of the Undergraduate annual tuition fee.
This is guaranteed in the first year of study and is available in each subsequent year, excluding any years in industry or years abroad, subject to achieving 60% or above in the previous academic year.
Just select your home country from the following list to see what scholarships are available to international undergraduate students.
Scholarships for UK/EU students
We offer a number of Academic Achievement Scholarships to UK/EU students entering in 2020.
Academic Achievement Scholarships
Scholarships of up to £3,000 will be awarded as a one-off payment in recognition of academic excellence to students starting on an undergraduate honours degree programme.
Are you eligible? You must:
- achieve the following standard in A Levels or the equivalent in other qualifications, in subjects relevant to the course:
Accepted subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Biology, Design & Technology, Geology.
For other subjects, qualification types or to confirm eligibility please contact Dr Vanessa Hearnden.
- be from the UK or EU (not be classed as an international student for tuition fees purposes)
- have made The University of Sheffield your first (firm) choice in the UCAS application process
- not have industrial sponsorship for the first year of the course
- continue on a programme of study owned by the Department of Materials Science and Engineering throughout the first year
The Scholarship will be paid in a single instalment at the beginning of the Autumn semester 2020. Applicants deferring entry are eligible for consideration for this award; payment will automatically be deferred until October 2021.
University bursaries for UK undergraduate students
Students can apply for cash support from the University in the form of a bursary (free money that doesn't have to be paid back). You will receive the same amount for each year of your course, including a year spent studying abroad should you choose to do this.
- the maximum bursary available for 2020/2021 is £1,250
- the size of the bursary is dependent on household income, postcode and grades
To see if you are eligible, visit the funding calculator.
Top in the Russell Group
We are the top-ranked Russell Group university for Graduate Prospects in Materials Science and Engineering. (The Times Good University Guide 2020)
Results and Clearing 2020
We have places available on some courses for additional high-achieving students through Clearing and Adjustment.