Dr Tom Slatter
Department of Mechanical Engineering
+44 114 222 7772
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Dr Tom Slatter graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2004 with an MEng in Mechanical Engineering and in 2010 with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. During this time he worked for the Ford Motor Company in powertrain CAE and diesel engine engineering.
His PhD was sponsored by the Ford Advanced Research and Materials Group in Aachen, Germany and concerned the wear of automotive valvetrain components.
In 2007, Tom became a University Teaching Associate, was appointed Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in 2011, and promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2018. Tom is a member of the Leonardo Tribology Centre and is a Deputy Centre Director of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Integrated Tribology (iT-CDT).
- Research interests
Dr Slatter continues to be involved in automotive tribology research; continuing work on valvetrain wear with a number of automotive OEMs, investigating the influence of novel combustion processes on valvetrain design and assessing the performance of bio-lubricants.
Recent research and consultancy work in these areas has included projects with companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Caterpillar, Jacobs Vehicle Systems, and several F1 teams.
Tom's research interests also include tribology in manufacturing with projects investigating the design, performance and instrumentation of manufacturing machines, processes and tooling with organisations such as Sandvik Coromant, Primetals, Collins Aerospace, Rolls-Royce, Kennametal, the University’s two HVM Catapults (Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) and Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (NAMRC)), and a number of specialist engineering SMEs.
Outside of these applied areas, Tom works at a more fundamental level investigating topics including impact wear and the cryogenic treatment of metals (with University of Leicester).
- Environmentally Sustainable cooling strategies in milling of SA516: effects on surface integrity of dry, flood and MQL machining.. Journal of Cleaner Production, 288.
- Applying Experimental Micro-tool wear Measurement techniques to Industrial Environments. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture.
- Defining the role of 'zero wear volume' in percussive impact. Wear. View this article in WRRO
- Improvements to the linear transform technique for generating randomly rough surfaces with symmetrical autocorrelation functions. Tribology International, 151. View this article in WRRO
- The theoretical optimization of the arrangement of sandwich filling components. Tribology International. View this article in WRRO
- The composition and friction reducing properties of leaf layers.. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 476(2239). View this article in WRRO
- Elastomer solubility and stress relaxation in bio-lubricants. Tribology International, 141. View this article in WRRO
- A Straightforward and Low-cost Pre-inspection Measurement Method for Small Gears. Manufacturing Letters, 23, 23-28. View this article in WRRO
- The influence of tool coating on the length of the normal operating region (steady-state wear) for micro end mills. Precision Engineering, 60, 306-319. View this article in WRRO
- A comparison of wear behaviour of heat resistant steel engine valves and TiAl engine valves. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part J-Journal of Engineering Tribology. View this article in WRRO
- The influence of ultrasonic surface rolling on the fatigue and wear properties of 23-8N engine valve steel. International Journal of Fatigue, 125, 299-313. View this article in WRRO
- An analysis of the quality of experimental design and reliability of results in tribology research. Wear, 426-427, 1712-1718. View this article in WRRO
- Optimisation of friction welding process parameters for 42Cr9Si2 hollow head & sodium filled engine valve and valve performance evaluation. Materials, 12(7). View this article in WRRO
- Protocol for tool wear measurement in micro-milling. Wear, 420-421, 54-67. View this article in WRRO
- Wear data for trials machining brass, titanium grade 2 and Hastelloy in order to characterize wear of micro-tools. Data in Brief, 22, 574-577. View this article in WRRO
- The wear and fatigue behaviours of hollow head & sodium filled engine valve. Tribology International, 128, 75-88. View this article in WRRO
- Monitoring Tool Wear in Drilling Process Using Spindle Noise Features. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, 564-568. View this article in WRRO
- Bendability evaluation of sheet metals in three-point bending test by using acoustic emission features. Journal of Applied Science, 16(2), 15-22. View this article in WRRO
- Crack Initiation Detection in JAC780Y during Tensile Loading by Using Direct Current Potential Drop and Acoustic Emission Techniques. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, 7(4), 348-352. View this article in WRRO
- Contemporary challenges of soot build-up in IC engine and their tribological implications. Tribology - Materials, Surfaces & Interfaces, 12(3), 115-129. View this article in WRRO
- Friction and Wear Phenomena of Vegetable Oil–Based Lubricants with Additives at Severe Sliding Wear Conditions. Tribology Transactions, 61(2), 207-219. View this article in WRRO
- Friction and wear response of vegetable oils and their blends with mineral engine oil in a reciprocating sliding contact at severe contact conditions. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part J-Journal of Engineering Tribology, 232(3), 244-258. View this article in WRRO
- Hardness characterisation of grey cast iron and its tribological performance in a contact lubricated with soybean oil. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 232(1), 190-203. View this article in WRRO
- Role of Temperature Parameters in Achieving Precision Traverse Cylindrical Grinding of Chrome-Plated Ferrous Metal Rolls. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 139(12). View this article in WRRO
- Using Barkhausen noise to measure coating depth of coated high-speed steel. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 92(1-4), 247-258. View this article in WRRO
- Towards a standard approach for the wear testing of wheel and rail materials. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 231(7), 760-774. View this article in WRRO
- Combining DLC, Shot blasting, chemical dip and nano fullerene surface treatments to reduce wear and friction when used with bio-lubricants in automotive contacts. SAE Technical Papers. View this article in WRRO
- Sliding Wear Study on the Valve-Seat Insert Contact. Open Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(2), 42-49. View this article in WRRO
- Sensitivity Study of a Valve Recession Model. Open Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(2), 50-56. View this article in WRRO
- Formation of white etching cracks at manganese sulfide (MnS) inclusions in bearing steel due to hammering impact loading. Wind Energy, 19(10), 1903-1915. View this article in WRRO
- Using spindle noise to monitor tool wear in a turning process. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 86(9-12), 2871-2790. View this article in WRRO
- Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the wear development of H13A tungsten carbide inserts when machining AISI 1045 steel. Production Engineering, 8(3), 355-364.
- Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the dry sliding wear performance of ferrous alloys. Wear, 305(1-2), 177-191.
- The influence of cryogenic processing on wear on the impact wear resistance of low carbon steel and lamellar graphite cast iron. Wear, 271(9-10), 1481-1489.
- The effects of cryogenic processing on the wear resistance of grey cast iron brake discs. Wear, 271(9-10), 2386-2395.
- The Influence of Induction Hardening on the Impact Wear Resistance of Compacted Graphite Iron, 124-129.
- The influence of induction hardening on the impact wear resistance of compacted graphite iron (CGI). Wear, 270(3-4), 302-311.
- Abrasive and impact wear of stone used to manufacture axes in Neolithic Greece. Wear, 271(9-10), 2549-2560. View this article in WRRO
- Laser treatment for improved impact wear resistance. The Laser User Magazine(56), 30-31.
- The influence of laser hardening on wear in the valve and valve seat contact. Wear, 267(5-8), 797-806. View this article in WRRO
- Valve recession modelling. SAE Technical Papers.
- View this article in WRRO Valve recession: From experiment to predictive model. VDI Berichte(1813), 79-93.
- Impact Wear Failures, Failure Analysis and Prevention (pp. 730-744). ASM International
- Cryogenic Treatment of Engineering Materials In Hashmi S (Ed.), Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering (pp. 421-454). Elsevier
- Design for Reduced Wear In Tung SC & Totten GE (Ed.), Automotive Lubricants and Testing (pp. 293-315). Eagan, MN, USA: ASTM International.
Conference proceedings papers
- Experimental comparison of EALs for marine vessel stern tubes. STLE 2021 Extended Abstracts, 17 May 2021 - 21 May 2021.
- Abrasive Wear of Cryogenically Treated Commercial Wrought and as-Built by Electron Beam Melting Ti-6Al-4V. Extended Abstracts from the 2019 STLE Tribology Frontiers Conference. Chicago, IL, USA, 14 October 2019 - 16 October 2019.
- Tool Coatings and their Influence on the Length of Steady-State Wear Region for Micro End Mills. Extended Abstracts from the 2019 STLE Tribology Frontiers Conference. Chicago, IL, USA, 21 October 2019 - 23 October 2019.
- Air Leak Detection in Pipe by Using AE Technique. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering - ICMRE'19, 16 February 2019 - 19 February 2019.
- The Application of Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM) in the Prototyping of Miniature Brass Gears. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 77 (pp 642-645), 25 June 2018 - 27 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Abrasion Resistance of 304L and 316L Stainless Steel Subjected to Deep Cryogenic Treatment. STLE 2018 Extended Abstracts & Presentations (pp 96-98). Minneapolis, MN, USA, 21 May 2018 - 24 May 2018.
- View this article in WRRO The Compatability of Multilayer Surface Treatments with Bio-Lubricant Base Oils. STLE 2018 Extended Abstracts & Presentations (pp 156-158). Minneapolis, MN, USA, 21 May 2018 - 24 May 2018.
- Combining DLC, Shot Blasting, Chemical Dip and Nano Fullerene Surface Treatments to Reduce Wear and Friction when Used with Bio-Lubricants in Automotive Contacts. SAE International
- The Interaction of Bio-lubricants with Elastomers, Tested Through Hanson Solubility Parameter and Stress Relaxation Tests.. Proceedings of 17th Nordic Symposium on Tribology - NORDTRIB 2016
- The Relationship between Spindle Sound and Tool Performance in Turning. International Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Vol. 2(8)
- The Influence of Induction Hardening on the Impact Wear Resistance of Compacted Graphite Iron (pp 124-124)
- Valve Recession - Investigating the Importance of Impact Wear. Tribology 2006: Surface Engineering and Tribology for Future Engines and Drivelines. London, UK, 12 July 2006 - 13 July 2006.
- Valve Recession: From Experiment to Predictive Model. Experimental And Numerical Methods For Powertrain Development. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, UK, 28 September 2005 - 29 September 2005.
- Small Form Factor and Customisable Dry-Sand/Rubber Wheel Test Rig. University of Sheffield Engineering Researcher Symposium 2018.
- The Performance of Bio-Lubricants with Common and Novel Automotive Coating. Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers Annual Meeting and Exhibition 2018.
- Development of deep hole drilling technologies for extreme length-to diameter ratio holes. University of Sheffield Engineering Symposium.
- Bio lubricants in Automotive Applications. SAE Powertrains, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting, Birmingham, UK.
- Evaluation of Case-depth Layer in Coated Cutting Tool by Using Barkhausen Noise and Electromagnetic Acoustic Emission Techniques. 2nd Annual EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference.
- The effects of cryogenic treatment on the sliding wear performance and microstructure of ferrous alloys. 19th International Conference on Wear of Materials.
- Development of Deep Hole Drilling Technology for Extreme L/D Ratio Holes with R&D into Tool Tip Tracking and Steering Technology. EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference 2012.
Theses / Dissertations
- Tool coatings and their influence on the length of steady-state wear region for micro end mills. EUROMAT 2019, Stockholm, Sweden.
- The Interaction of Bio-lubricants with Elastomers, Tested Through Hanson Solubility Parameter and Stress Relaxation Tests. The 17th Nordic Symposium on Tribology - NORDTRIB 2016, Aulanko, Hämeenlinna, Finland.
- Development of deep hole drilling technologies. Sheffield.
- Research group
- Liam Chisman - 'Valvetrain design for novel combustion'.
- Will Pulfrey – ‘Lubricant performance in novel valvetrain systems’.
- Ellis Taylor – ‘Optimised cryogenic machining processes for light metals’.
- Mohanad Zalzalah – ‘Understanding and modelling impact wear’.
- Sam Davison – ‘Bio-lubricant performance in machine contacts’.
- Luke Osmond – ‘Ceramic milling of superalloys.’
- Leon Proud – ‘Cryogenic and CO2 Coolants during machining of next-generation aircraft grade materials’.
- Jason Burnap – ‘Advanced manufacturing methods for aerospace actuation systems’.
- Luke O’Donnell – ‘Ultrasonic Assisted Machining of Composite Materials’.
- Sushil Simkhada – ‘Automotive cylinder distortion’.
- Jack Rooke – ‘Development of in-situ automotive sensing systems’.
- David Fort - Development of Ultrasonic Oil Condition and Level Sensors
- STFC - By gum it's cowd! (Translation: Lancashire, 'It's surprisingly cold.') - Cryogenic treatments for hard wearing engineering materials (3 days access to ISIS Beamline) (CoI).
- Air Products - Cryotreatment of AM produced titanium alloys & effect on microstructure) (£6k) (CoI).
- EPSRC (Metrology Hub) - In-Situ Ultrasonic Sensors for Monitoring Tool and Workpiece During Grinding Processes (2020) (£50k) (CoI).
- Jaguar Land Rover - Valvetrain Tribology (2019-20) (£53k) (PI).
- InnovateUK (KTP) - Online inspection and monitoring of production processes (2019-2022) (£249k) (PI).
- Rolls-Royce plc – Impact Wear (2019-20) (£40k) (PI).
- EPSRC (Programme Grant) - Friction – the Tribology Enigma, (2017-22) (£5.3M) (CoI).
- EPSRC (CDT) - Centre for Doctoral Training in Integrated Tribology (iCDT), 2013-22 (£7.3M) (CoI).
- Teaching activities
Tom's teaching activities are in the areas of automotive engineering (MEC447), manufacturing (MEC304) and design (MEC307, GEE301). He was the Deputy (and Acting) Director of Learning & Teaching for Mechanical Engineering in 2014-17 and in 2012 he was awarded a University Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching.
Tom is also the Deputy Centre Director (Learning & Teaching) for the EPSRC iT-CDT, the Year 3 & 4 Tutor for General Engineering, and is the Faculty Advisor for the University's Formula Student team, 'Sheffield Formula Racing'.
- Professional activities
Tom is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the Society for Tribology and Lubrication Engineering (STLE).
He is also a voting member of ASTM International’s Committee G02 with whom responsibility for a number of common standards for friction and wear testing rests.