Dr Jon M Dickson
DFSRH, DRCOG, MRCGP, BSc (Hons), BMBCh, PhD
Senior Clinical Lecturer
Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care
Samuel Fox House
Northern General Hospital
Telephone: (+44) (0) 114 222 2081
Fax: (+44) (0) 114 222 2219
Dr Dickson's research is into health-service quality improvement interventions. His expertise is in quantitative methods but he works in multi-disciplinary research teams to answer complex questions and to develop complex interventions using mixed methods. He has a special interest in epilepsy and psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. A major theme in his research is improving emergency care for people after a seizure. Other important themes in his work are optimisation of care pathways for abnormal uterine bleeding and the use of free-association narrative interviews to give new insights into psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. A selection of Dr Dickson's publications, presentations and conference abstracts can be see at the bottom of this page. Additional information on his publications is available via Research Gate.
CLINICAL SKILLS AND SPECIAL INTERESTS
The focus of Dr Dickson's clinical work is being a GP. He provides evidence-based holistic care with a special emphasis on patient-centred care and the position of the patient within their family and their community. Managing the diversity and complexity inherent in this work is Dr Dickson's main focus but he has also developed a range of special interests and additional skills in neurology, gynaecology, musculoskeletal medicine and respiratory medicine. Dr Dickson works in the epilepsy clinic in the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. He holds the DRCOG (Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists) and the DFSRH (Diploma of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Care). He has certified competences in coil fitting, Nexplanon fitting, endometrial sampling and joint injections.
Dr Dickson is a member of the Primary Care Steering Group for Division 5 of the NIHR Clinical Research Network in Yorkshire and Humber. He is also the lead GP for the Sheffield Primary Care Research (SPCR), a cluster of ten practices within the NIHR Clinical Research Network, who deliver NIHR portfolio studies. He has advisory roles for the RCGP (Clinical Adviser) and Epilepsy Action (Medical Advisory Board). He is the chair of the guideline development group for the seizures chapter of the paramedics clinical practice guidelines (‘JRCALC’). Dr Dickson is the clinical lead for the primary care endometrial sampling service at NHS Sheffield and he works for the NHS Sheffield (clinical commissioning group) on on other projects such as CASES.
In the University of Sheffield he sits on the SEG in AUPMC and the Post-Graduate Research Committee in the Faculty of Medicine. He has advised and/or peer-reviewed for the following journals, publications and organisations: The King’s Fund, Seizure, the British Journal of General Practice, HS&DR (Health Services and Delivery Research programme) of the NIHR, HTA (Health Technology Assessment programme) of the NIHR, the Palliative and Supportive Care journal, the Map of Medicine, RCGP e-learning package for motor neurone disease (in association with the MND association). His reviewing activity can be seen on Publons.
Dr Dickson is a member of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), the Society for Academic Primary Care (SAPC), Epilepsy Action, the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) (the main group and the Primary Care Society), the NIHR CLAHRC South Yorkshire Avoiding Attendance and Admissions theme and the Medical Humanities Society of the University of Sheffield.
TEACHING, SUPERVISION AND LEADERSHIP
Dr Dickson's departmental work in AUPMC includes (or has included) organising the BMedSci (intercalated medical degree) programme, organising the seminar programme, interviewing Academic Training Fellows and acting as internal examiner for BMedSci degrees. He is a University PATS tutor (Personal Academic Tutoring Scheme) and is a member of the Post-Graduate Research Committee in the Faculty of Medicine. He teaches neuroanatomy to medical under-graduates having previously run the neuroanatomy dissection and teaching for BSc students.
- Dickson J & Hart A (2019) Expert medical generalism - ecological insights. British Journal of General Practice.
- Dickson JM, Jacques RM, Reuber M, Hick J, Campbell MJ, Morley R & Grunewald RA (2018) Emergency hospital care for adults with suspected seizures in the NHS in England 2007–2013: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open, 8(10). View this article in WRRO
- Narice BF, Delaney B & Dickson JM (2018) Endometrial Sampling in Low-Risk Patients with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: a Systematic Review and Meta-synthesis. BMC Family Practice, 19. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM (2018) The importance of GPs for people with epilepsy. Epilepsy Professional, 49, 20-25. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Asghar ZB & Siriwardena AN (2018) Pre-hospital ambulance care of patients following a suspected seizure: A cross sectional study. Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Rawlings GH, Grünewald RA, Miles K, Mack C, Heywood T & Reuber M (2017) An Alternative Care Pathway for Suspected Seizures in Pre-Hospital Care: A Service Evaluation. British Paramedic Journal, 2(2), 22-28. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Mason SM & Bailey A (2017) Emergency Department Diagnostic Codes – Useful Data?. Emergency Medicine Journal, 34(9), 627-627. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Delaney B & Connor ME (2017) Primary care endometrial sampling for abnormal uterine bleeding: a pilot study.. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care, 43(4), 296-301. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Dudhill H, Shewan J, Mason S, Grünewald RA & Reuber M (2017) Cross-sectional study of the hospital management of adult patients with a suspected seizure (EPIC2). BMJ Open, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Peacock M, Grünewald RA, Howlett S, Bissell P & Reuber M (2017) Non-epileptic attack disorder: the importance of diagnosis and treatment.. BMJ Case Reports, 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Taylor LH, Shewan J, Baldwin T, Grünewald RA & Reuber M (2016) Cross-sectional study of the prehospital management of adult patients with a suspected seizure (EPIC1). BMJ Open, 6(2), e010573-e010573. View this article in WRRO
- Dickson JM, Scott PA & Reuber M (2015) Epilepsy service provision in the National Health Service in England in 2012. Seizure, 30, 26-31.
- Osborne A, Taylor L, Reuber M, Grünewald RA, Parkinson M & Dickson JM (2015) Pre-hospital care after a seizure: Evidence base and United Kingdom management guidelines. Seizure, 24, 82-87.
- Dickson JM, Naylor G, Colver G, Powers HJ & Masters P (2014) Multiple vitamin deficiencies in a patient with a history of chronic alcohol excess and self-neglect in the UK. BMJ Case Reports, 2014(sep22 1), bcr2014204523.
- Smithson WH, Hukins D, Buelow JM, Allgar V & Dickson JM (2013) Adherence to medicines and self-management of epilepsy: A community-based study. Epilepsy and Behavior, 26, 109-113.
- Dickson JM, Harrington R & Carter MJ (2011) Teaching clinical examination using peer-assisted learning amongst graduate-entry students.. Clin Teach, 8(1), 8-12.
- Dickson JM, Warren DJ, Chapman ALN, Anoop U, Hayat H & Bhattacharya D (2010) Spontaneous abscess of the lumbar spine presenting as subacute back pain.. BMJ Case Rep, 2010.
- Farrow TFD, Dickson JM & Grünewald RA (2006) A six-year follow-up MRI study of complicated early childhood convulsion.. Pediatr Neurol, 35(4), 257-260.
- Dickson JM, Wilkinson ID, Howell SJL, Griffiths PD & Grünewald RA (2006) Idiopathic generalised epilepsy: a pilot study of memory and neuronal dysfunction in the temporal lobes, assessed by magnetic resonance spectroscopy.. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 77(7), 834-840.
- Reynders HJ, Broks P, Dickson JM, Lee CE & Turpin G (2005) Investigation of social and emotion information processing in temporal lobe epilepsy with ictal fear.. Epilepsy Behav, 7(3), 419-429.
- Wilkinson ID, Hadjivassiliou M, Dickson JM, Wallis L, Grünewald RA, Coley SC, Widjaja E & Griffiths PD (2005) Cerebellar abnormalities on proton MR spectroscopy in gluten ataxia.. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 76(7), 1011-1013.
- Dickson JM, Weavers HM, Mitchell N, Winter EM, Wilkinson ID, Van Beek EJR, Wild JM & Griffiths PD (2005) The effects of dehydration on brain volume -- preliminary results.. Int J Sports Med, 26(6), 481-485.
- Dickson JM & Grunewald RA (2004) Somatic symptom progression in idiopathic Parkinson's disease. PARKINSONISM RELAT D, 10(8), 487-492.
- Wignall EL, Dickson JM, Vaughan P, Farrow TFD, Wilkinson ID, Hunter MD & Woodruff PWR (2004) Smaller hippocampal volume in patients with recent-onset posttraumatic stress disorder.. Biol Psychiatry, 56(11), 832-836.
Conference proceedings papers
- Grunewald RA, Dickson JM, Hick J, Jacques R, Campbell M, Morely R & Reuber M (2018) UK Unscheduled Admissions for Adults with Suspected Seizures. JNNP(Suppl 1) (pp A8-A8), 3 May 2017.
- Dickson JM, Howell SJ, Griffiths P, Wilkinson I & Grunewald RA (2003) Memory performance and magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the temporal lobes in idiopathic generalised epilepsy. JOURNAL OF NEUROLOGY NEUROSURGERY AND PSYCHIATRY, Vol. 74(10) (pp 1449-1450)
- Campbell F, Sworn K, Booth A, Reuber M, Grunewald R, Mack C & Dickson J () The ESPENTE study – a mapping review. Trent SAPC (Society for Academic Primary Care) Regional Meeting, 19 March 2019 - 19 March 2019.
- Hughes-Gooding TA, Mason S, Dickson JM & Stone T (2017) Modelling the Flow of Seizure Patients in the Urgent and Emergency Care System. ILAE British Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Dickson JM (2017) Can free association narrative interviews help to extend understandings of psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. 3rd International Conference on Functional (Psychogenic) Neurological Disorders, 6-8 September 2017,.
- Dickson JM, Simpson R, Jacques R, Ahmed N, Grunewald R, Reuber M & Mason S Exploring Discordance Between Epilepsy Prevalence and Age-Specific Admission Rates for Seizures. Sheffield.
- Hughes-Gooding TH, Mason S, Dickson JM & Stone T Modelling the Flow of Seizure Patients in the Urgent and Emergency Care System. Society for Academic Primary Care, Trent Regional Meeting, Sheffield.
- Dickson JM Emergency Health Services for Epilepsy, Plenary Presentation, ILAE British Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting. Leeds.